Prime bar

Choclab42

Any of you guys ever try prime bars from purina before a hunt? I was just curious if any of you have any experience with them and if you saw a difference in your dog during the hunt.

I've never tried the Purina Prime Bars but I have fed the K9 Restart bars http://www.techmixglobal.com/node/33

I've fed them during hunting and also field trials. I can't say that I noticed that they made any difference. I'm not saying they won't or can't in extreme situations but for the most part if your dog is getting a proper amount of a quality food they probably don't need the bars.

Sport? Adult PRiME? bar Pre-Exercise Nutritional Supplement

Ideal for everything from daily jogs to high-intensity athletics
Fast proteins help keep muscles strong during physical activity
Made with real beef for a taste dogs love.

The "taste dogs love" is probably true. The rest seems like hype.

Hydration is more important than snacks, in my experience.

My dogs like a piece of a payday bar (as do I) on extended trips when they hunt long and hard for days on end.:cheers:

We always, always have oatmeal cream pies. The dogs usually get one too. I am not sure if it's possible to hunt without OCP's. :)

what to eat

I find it pretty hard to find something the dogs don't think they need, most food really has to be fed well before the hunt to have any effect, a snack, any kind during the hunt is more of a treat than a benefit to stamina. your dog really only needs good food just like us even though the junk is still fun

cheers

We always, always have oatmeal cream pies. The dogs usually get one too. I am not sure if it's possible to hunt without OCP's. :)

So that is what has been wrong with my hunts all along these past 20-some years: No OCPs afield! Gonna fix that. :p

On a serious note, I never feed my dog on the day of a hunt until after the hunt. I know it's rare, but I want avoid any chance of bloat (stomach torque?). Off season my dog is on rations, half in the a.m., half in the p.m. The evening before a hunt, I let him eat all he wants, but nothing the a.m. of a day afield, and he has full energy all day afield.

Last edited:
Any of you guys ever try prime bars from purina before a hunt? I was just curious if any of you have any experience with them and if you saw a difference in your dog during the hunt.

Just went thru my first box of these. I believe they have a "ReFUEL" bar also for post exercise, but I only used PRIME. 1 bar works for a 50lb dog. Feed about 30 min to an hour before the hunt. Can't say they if they work or not as it would be hard to measure that, certainly can't hurt anything. Not super expensive and I will say the higher protein amounts in the bars are a good thing IMO to repair and regenerate muscle tissue.

If your interested, PetsMart seems to have the best deal on these at $15.99 for a box of 12

Kismet mentioned this as well so forgive me if I sound like a broken record , but HYDRATION !! The importance of such is often underestimated. If the dogs won't drink, bait the water with something, but more important than anything for a hunting dog before, during and after the hunt.

Last edited:
As other have said here and I have observe for years running field trials. Feed the dog well the evening before and nothing the next day until evening. The dog is getting the nutrition it needs and will run faster, longer and cooler without food in it's belly.

As for getting a dog to drink more water here is a little trick I learned from some old time field trialers. Add a little milk to the water. It will get them to drink more.

Back