Prairie Storm Lead vs Steel

DISCLAIMER: It has been indicated to me that I might be a spammer. Not the case, folks. Just wanted to share my experience because I just couldn't believe the difference between these two loads, particularly when you take the range into consideration. I just hunt with the stuff, I've never actually patterned it, so this is my testing so to speak. Anyway, onward.

I was surprised to see the difference on birds between the Prairie Storm Lead 2 3/4" #5s and Prairie Storm Steel 3" #4s. I had just about shot up all my PS Lead except for one shell, so I switched from my IC choke to a Modified, and decided to put the one Lead shell in first.

I was road hunting around Parker, SD on Friday and had a rooster try to cross in front of me. He ran back into the ditch as I pulled over and I get out to try to kick him out of it. He held tight and I couldn't kick him up where I last saw him. There was very little cover on the other side, and I knew I would have seen him run or fly if he had done so, so I got back onto the road, walked about ten yards or so further and he flushed as I was about to go back into the ditch. I smoked him at about 40 yards, he hit the ground and that was it. He didn't flop or anything.

I got a shot at another bird about 45 minutes later, this time loaded with the PS Steel 3" #4s. He snuck into the ditch as I got out of my truck and I rushed in to flush him. He exploded from the cover amid a beautiful Terry Redlin sunset and I had to compose myself for the quick 25 yard shot.

These are the results after cleaning. Can you guess which one was shot with PS Lead and the other PS Steel? :eek::D

Last edited:
Can I ask why you would tighten your choke up for the steel shot? I am under the impression that you should actually open your chokes up one notch when switching from lead to steel. My brother destroyed another rooster last weekend with the prairie storm, I told him he needs to go buy some cheap steel if he wants to shoot birds within 30yds. :eek:

According to what I've read, Modified was actually recommended by Federal Premium with PS Steel. That's the only reason I did so, otherwise I would have stuck with the IC, it's certainly served me well with the PS Lead. I can't wait to get my hands on more of that stuff. For the record, the shot up bird was taken with the Lead 2 3/4" #5s.

Last edited:
My brother shoots it through cyl/ic chokes 1oz 20ga loads and still has to let them get out there if he wants to eat the bird.

According to what I've read, Modified was actually recommended by Federal Premium with PS Steel. That's the only reason I did so, otherwise I would have stuck with the IC, it's certainly served me well with the PS Lead. I can't wait to get my hands on more of that stuff. For the record, the shot up bird was taken with the Lead 2 3/4" #5s.

In my experience hunting ducks, steel typically tightens your pattern more than lead. So using a mod with steel is really like shooting a full choke. I really have to worry about it when hunting pheasants because my old model 24 is choked full and mod and only gets tungsten down it when I can't shoot lead.

My brother shoots it through cyl/ic chokes 1oz 20ga loads and still has to let them get out there if he wants to eat the bird.

Yeesh! Maybe it's time I break out the ol' 20 gauge single-shot and give 'er a try! :D

DISCLAIMER: It has been indicated to me that I might be a spammer. Not the case, folks. Just wanted to share my experience because I just couldn't believe the difference between these two loads, particularly when you take the range into consideration. I just hunt with the stuff, I've never actually patterned it, so this is my testing so to speak. Anyway, onward.

I was surprised to see the difference on birds between the Prairie Storm Lead 2 3/4" #5s and Prairie Storm Steel 3" #4s. I had just about shot up all my PS Lead except for one shell, so I switched from my IC choke to a Modified, and decided to put the one Lead shell in first.

I was road hunting around Parker, SD on Friday and had a rooster try to cross in front of me. He ran back into the ditch as I pulled over and I get out to try to kick him out of it. He held tight and I couldn't kick him up where I last saw him. There was very little cover on the other side, and I knew I would have seen him run or fly if he had done so, so I got back onto the road, walked about ten yards or so further and he flushed as I was about to go back into the ditch. I smoked him at about 40 yards, he hit the ground and that was it. He didn't flop or anything.

I got a shot at another bird about 45 minutes later, this time loaded with the PS Steel 3" #4s. He snuck into the ditch as I got out of my truck and I rushed in to flush him. He exploded from the cover amid a beautiful Terry Redlin sunset and I had to compose myself for the quick 25 yard shot.

These are the results after cleaning. Can you guess which one was shot with PS Lead and the other PS Steel? :eek::D

It's not a long stretch to determine the one shot up was from the 25 yard shot with PS steel. You either need to open up that choke or use the 3 second rule before you shoot at that close of range. ;)

It's not a long stretch to determine the one shot up was from the 25 yard shot with PS steel. You either need to open up that choke or use the 3 second rule before you shoot at that close of range. ;)

You make a good point, but you're wrong on the bird. ;)

I would say that you were very close to missing that bird all together then, it is my experience that the PS patterns that tight.

Guys we have beat the issue of Prairie Storm up before on this site. I believe the majority feel it is overkill and not necessary. But hey, if it works for you and you are comfortable shooting it, go for it.

Guys we have beat the issue of Prairie Storm up before on this site. I believe the majority feel it is overkill and not necessary. But hey, if it works for you and you are comfortable shooting it, go for it.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm new to the site and this is my first year shooting the stuff. Sorry if I'm kicking a long dead horse.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm new to the site and this is my first year shooting the stuff. Sorry if I'm kicking a long dead horse.

PSA, you're fine. I don't think there is any doubt about the killing ability of the PS shells and if they work well for you that's great. There are cheaper alternatives that do just as good a job. At least in lead.

I've been given a box of PS 12 ga 2 3/4 inch 5 shot that I would gladly trade for any 20 or 28 ga 6 shot. :D

Seems strange that if its your first year using PS that you would use that screen name....

I've been shooting it since the start of the season...and I've quickly found it very addictive. Too bad it's so expensive. :rolleyes:

I've been given a box of PS 12 ga 2 3/4 inch 5 shot that I would gladly trade for any 20 or 28 ga 6 shot. :D

If you find someone to take them let me know as I have about 22 left in my box. :)I thought my arm was going to fall off shooting them out of my ultralight:D. Waay overkill in my opinion. The way that shot up bird looked is exactly what I don't want my birds to look like. I am back to 6 shot myself. Worked when I was 13, seems to be working at 50.

You just joined this site 3 days ago? I have suspicions still that some how you are a PS sales rep who maybe is pulling our leg a little with this post ;)

You just joined this site 3 days ago? I have suspicions still that some how you are a PS sales rep who maybe is pulling our leg a little with this post ;)

And for a limited time offer, I'll throw in a free case! :rolleyes: Give me the money and I'll buy it for you. :D Sorry to disappoint, but not a sales rep.

Back