Prairie Storm Lead vs Steel

You'll have to excuse us if we're sceptical, we've been plagued by people pushing other shells on this site so its not a stretch.

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse us if we're sceptical, we've been plagued by people pushing other shells on this site so its not a stretch.

It's understandable, definitely. But it's also possible to fall absolutely in love with a product and not be a sales rep. Just want to clarify that. ;)

PS

I just got back from SD on a hunt. I shot steel first couple of days, was not impressed. Then I bought some Prairie Storms #5 in 12 ga.. My shots had been longer so I changed chokes to Mod and Full. Put the storms in and wow. I love them.... Lost one bird in 4 days after switching.

Birdman

Birdman, what choke were you shooting the steel out of?

Remember steel or non-tox is required on all state and federal lands for small game in SD. Prairie Storm is lead unless you were using the new Prairie Storm steel, i assumed you were using lead as you mentioned #5 shot.

In general, there are some very good options for steel these days that will easily get the job done and you may need to experiment with different shot sizes and or chokes at the pattern board to find a combination that works in your gun. Remember steel patterns tighter than lead out of the same choke so you may need to open up the choke a bit when using steel.

Last edited:
I used PS Steel #4's in my 20 gauges for my South Dakota trip a couple of weeks ago. I was very pleased with the results. I used IC in the Benelli M2 & IC/M in the Ruger Red Label. I also like the fact that Federal is a National Sponsor of PF and some of the proceeds from each box are given to PF.

I know the PF logo is on the Federal HV Copper plated lead but is it on the regular game load shells?......guess I never payed attention.

Not sure about game load. I guess I figure game load is economy grade and not standard grade.

It would make sense for Federal to be a sponsor of PF. Both companies are located in the Twin Cities.

PS

Birdman, what choke were you shooting the steel out of?

Remember steel or non-tox is required on all state and federal lands for small game in SD. Prairie Storm is lead unless you were using the new Prairie Storm steel, i assumed you were using lead as you mentioned #5 shot.

In general, there are some very good options for steel these days that will easily get the job done and you may need to experiment with different shot sizes and or chokes at the pattern board to find a combination that works in your gun. Remember steel patterns tighter than lead out of the same choke so you may need to open up the choke a bit when using steel.

I was hunting private ground.

twenty some and one with steel the last year and half . Not sure why it gets such a bad rap. What ever your most confident with I guess.:)

I think one of the most common misconceptions when using steel is to think that you can get away with similar shot sizes as with lead. In order to get the same energy from steel you will need to go up at least 2 shot sizes over lead. Shooting long shots using steel it even becomes more important to choose the correct shot size. A #5 lead pellet will have roughly the same energy as a #3 steel pellet at any given distance, given equal velocity.

I have always thought the minimum steel shot load size for phez to be 1 1/8 oz. with 1 1/4 oz. being better yet. If I could choose the best all around steel load for Phez it would be 1 1/4 oz. of either #2 or #3 shot, which ever's easiest to find.

FWIW

Last edited:
it is my standard now

When I was living in South Dakota back in the '80s (stationed at an Air Force Base there) I hunted LaCreek Waterfowl Refuge over by Martin and steel was required. I have since moved back to Illinois and most of the public ground now requires non-toxic shot. It is a false assumption that non-toxic shot means its not toxic to birds :) Any ways, Since my SD days I have pretty much made it a habit to shoot steel shot all the time. My load of choice is Federal Waterfowl loads either 2 3/4 or 3 inch number 4s on pheasants here in Illinois. Good knock down power in 12ga or 20ga out to 40 yards or so. I have tried the Prairie Storms (lead and steel) and the type shots I'm usually presented with PS are not necessary.

I am firm believer in PS. If I am hunting pheasant that is all I carry. I shoot an O/U and you can hear and feel the velocity difference between cheap shells and quality loads. Not to mention the knock down effect they have. I spend a lot of money on dogs, collars, trailers, guns, boots and fuel , the last thing I am going to do is buy cheap shells.

A friend got a case of Prairie Storm for free when it came out. I think he still has it. It patterned an entire choke size tighter than a normal lead load (and patchy). It kicked like a mule, and it was LOUD! He went back to Fiochi Golden Pheasants and was a happy camper. For what it's worth I went on a 17 bird run last month without losing a bird or getting to the second barrel on my o/u. I shoot a powder puff 1200 fps 1 1/4 oz #5 load. If you put the bird in the center of the pattern you don't need a shell that kills on both ends.

Back