Prairie Storm Choke Tubes

Big T

Has anybody shot the new prarie storm choke tubes, and have any information on them. There are 2 (early and late season) styles, and was wondering if there was first hand reviews and comparisons to the other BC choke tubes. Thanks in advance

I have not shot either chokes so I can't comment on that but I will say I find prairie storm a little on the hot side for early season roosters. I do however like it later in the season as the roosters grow increasingly jumpy. Sorry didn't mean to high jack your thread just thought I would give you some of my findings with the other part of the equation.

I personally think Prairie Storm ammo is a joke. Totally unnecessary for any pheasant hunting conditions. Now there are PS chokes. Boy, what they won't do to make a buck. Buy some decent ammo and save the money. You'll do just fine.

I agree with you Zeb, I had to try them when they came out and sure they killed pheasants but then so did anything else I shot that year.
On the down side they cost a bunch more and have a nasty recoil factor and now you need SPECIAL CHOKE TUBES--what a joke. Spend the extra money and go to the trap or skeet range and improve your shooting skills, forget the better shooter in a box scam.:)

Spend the extra money and go to the trap or skeet range and improve your shooting skills, forget the better shooter in a box scam.:)

Now there's a novel idea. Imagine improving your wingshooting skills to kill more birds.....:eek: SDJIM I think your either onto something or your ON something..:cheers:

I will just keep buying my pheasant loads at Runnings farm store. Way cheaper and they killed pheasants just fine.

The big problem for me is finding any reasonably priced 3" 20ga lead or good 16ga pheasant loads. The only thing I can find is Golden Pheasant loads. They are the cheapest. My 12ga will be Runnings 1.25 oz #5's or 6's for $7.99 to $8.99

Picture011-3.jpg

Now there's a novel idea. Imagine improving your wingshooting skills to kill more birds.....:eek: SDJIM I think your either onto something or your ON something..:cheers:

As I get older --at an alarming rate-- I find its better to kill them dead so I can WALK to where they went down. I used to be able to chase them years ago now I have to hit them good. Oh I have developed another tatic to, I hunt with people who have GOOD dogs and seeing how I have GOOD land its a perfect match that works well for me. LOL:D

I seem to remember an article by Tom Roster a year or so ago where he just lambasted all the special choke tubes as marketing jokes. He said Just buy the standard ImpCyl, Mod or whatever and go to the field. He said as a practical matter these specialty chokes don't do anything the standard ones don't do.
I'm just old and the standard 1 1/4 oz 1200 fps loads have been killing them dead for almost half a century. But a fool and his money.....

This is the info from Carlson's website...(they make the tubes)
The EARLY SEASON choke tube is a LM (.725 in 12ga) constriction and the LATE SEASON choke tube is an IM (.715 in 12ga) constriction. So if you happen to have those choke constrictions you could pattern PS ammo and see what you get. Then try some other constrictions also. You might already own the perfect choke so why spend the money.
Every shotgun shoots differently so nothing beats patterning your shotgun with the loads you intend to use whether it be some fancy new shotshell or your old trusted load...

From their website if anyone is really interested::rolleyes:

NEW! - 12 GA Titanium Coated PRAIRIE STORM Chokes

GET THE MOST FROM FEDERAL PREMIUM'S PRAIRIE STORM™ AMMUNITION
WITH CARLSON'S PRAIRIE STORM CHOKES

The unique FLITECONTROL® wad in Prairie Storm™ Ammunition will deliver inconsistent patterns in ported chokes or when used with wad stopping or stripping devices. This choke uses a special field-tested constriction and length to get the most from Federal Premium Prairie Storm™ Ammunition.

Carlson’s Titanium Coated choke tube allows Federal’s special FLITESTOPPER lead pellets and FLITECONTROL® wad deliver devastating downrange patterns.

This choke performs equally well when used with lead, copper, nickel, Hevi-Shot and steel shot loads.
Carlson’s New Prairie Storm™ choke tube is a proven performer on pheasants and upland birds using
all lead and steel shot loads over extended distances.

PLEASE NOTE: The EARLY SEASON choke tube is a LM constriction and the LATE SEASON choke tube is an IM constriction.
All sizes and speeds of Steel shot may be used in either choke tube.

So if going by the statement highlighted, if your NOT using ported chokes or chokes with wad stripping capablities.... You should be good to go with what you already have right? ;)

And something even more strange and that is that they don't even make them for one of the most popular semi automatics out there, the Beretta A391 Urika, which uses the Optima plus choke system.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, and the valuable insight as to how great of hunters you all are. I do not use choke tubes for pheasants, was actually asking for a friend who asked me. I use black cloud with the BC choke tubes for geese and he thought I would have some info for him, so I told him I would ask on here, and maybe someone out there has used them. I will let him know that he is a horrible hunter, shoots at birds way to far, and spends more than the acceptable amount of money on shells. haha. Seriously, thanks anyway.

Back