prairie chicken recomendations?

arkrunner

I had a spur of the moment work schedule change and will be off sept 21-24th. Does anyone have a recomendation for a hunt around hill city. Never hunted chickens and have a chance this year. Guided is ok because I will not have time to scout. Any info would be helpful. I live about 8hours out in SW missouri.
thanks elton

Send me a pm and I will see if I can give you a few ideas , I don't know of any chicken guides that actively pursue the birds with dogs . Most pass shoot them at the end of the day of pheasant hunting .

Send me a pm and I will see if I can give you a few ideas , I don't know of any chicken guides that actively pursue the birds with dogs . Most pass shoot them at the end of the day of pheasant hunting .

most chickens get shot by chance during pheasant season. :)

I have shot several over point in the early season.
It is a nice accomplishment for you and the dog.

Ark runner season starts today , hope you post how you did when you make it this way . I am going to give a go over the weekend .

Have been away from Kansas for a couple years working but back to where I can hunt a lot more. Am thinking very hard about making a couple day trip for PC's next week. I have never hunted them but have been reading up on cover to look for them. I'm just not sure what counties or or area have good populations of PC's. Not looking for hotspots or secrets but a general idea of an area for a new PC hunter and his young dog to take a loooonnnngggg walk and maybe find a bird. Thanks for any help

chickens

Well we spoke with several with good advice. Best was Setterdogs, he said temps above 85 was too hot for dogs to work well. Would only be a 2-3 hour hunt in the morning and no pass shooting this time of year. We stayed home and plan on going later in the season when weather is better for the dogs. Would be nice to see good dogs working.
elton

That's definitely true about hunting the dogs in warmer temps, but you need to remember this. Chickens are notoriously hard to hunt over pointing dogs later in the year. The cover thins out and they can see you coming from a long way away. Trying to get a point, or even close enough to shoot a bumped bird will be VERY frustrating in November.

Pass-shooting while they are en route to feed fields is the traditional method of hunting chickens in Kansas. The season used to open the weekend before pheasant season and there wasn't an early season. I still remember the Wichita Eagle's article about the "new" early season for chickens for people who wanted to hunt them over pointing dogs.

That early season is open until October 15. If you're serious about shooting one over a point, I wouldn't wait an longer than that. It's just too hard to get close enough in the later season.

What Matto Said '' early season is open until October 15. If you're serious about shooting one over a point, I wouldn't wait an longer than that. It's just too hard to get close enough in the later season.''

Darn things were getting 75 yards to quarter section ahead of us / depends on wind and weather and lay of land how close you get . Very spooky later

I just had to go. Drove up yesterday morning and hunted till noon or so. Didnt find any chickens. The temps got warm awful quick. Today was much better all around. Cloud cover kept the temps lower. The my shorthair Ty was able to hunt all day with some breaks. Now the not so great part. He pointed a single chicken and as I walked closer the bird flushed. Wasnt to far maybe 30 yards and I missed. Oh well it was awsome to see the point and the bird. Tomorrow is another day.

On a side note when resting the boy or when its been to warm I have been driving around looking at places to hunt come pheasant season and I sure have not seen many birds. I have seen a few coveys of quail flush in the ditches or run across the road. Ty did find 3 roosters and a hen in some thicker prarie grass right off the road as we were walking to hunt a hill. The crops and the CRP sure look good this year.

Back