Post Your Residents' Weekend Report Here!

A5 Sweet 16

Well, Ace & I wouldn't be Ace & I if we didn't hunt Residents' Weekend, so we did. Ace is 3-1/2 now & starting his 4th season. My 42nd season. I was very happy with the number of pheasants we saw. Cover at the 2 spots we hunted was pheznomenal. Sloughs in the area are pretty dry. Beans are picked. Corn is underway & will come out fast I think.

Yesterday we hunted the last 1-1/2 hours of daylight & probably saw almost 20 pheasants, 4 of which were roosters. None of them gave us a shot. Jumpy. There was nearly zero breeze, so that makes stealth difficult. And they could've been hunted twice earlier in the day, plus the past 2 youth weekends. Who knows? But they're there. And we barely scratched the surface of this big CREP piece. Standing corn pretty much all around it. When we started hunting, it was 65 degrees, & Ace acted like it was pretty hard work. The last 1/2 hour was 55 degrees & he acted like it was mid-season & he was ready to go a few more hours. 10 degrees makes a big difference to a dog.

Today we had to get home for a birthday, & I wanted to beat the heat. So we got out at 10:00, which is super rare for us early in the season. Hunted a Walk-In Area & had our limit by 11:15. Saw the 3 roosters, plus 5 hens. All 8 birds flushed close. Again, barely scratched the surface of the spot we hunted. 2 last year's roosters; 1 this year's. All shot within 1/4 mile of each other. Yet 1 had an empty crop, 1 was full of beans, & 1 was full of grasshoppers. Interesting.

Anyway, it felt great to get out after them in earnest. Both of us seemed to remember how to do it, especially Ace, whose instincts & experience are turning him into a pretty great pheasant dog. I love that he can take 8 months off, yet go out when the big day finally arrives & not miss a beat. I think we're going to have another great season!!

Let's hear from some of you others who hunted this weekend. What'd you think??
20221009_113958 UPHF.jpg

Last edited:
Great report Brent! Has me day dreaming. Will be hard to sit thru 2 meetings today.
Looks like one of them is a late hatch bird. Ace does not discriminate!

Last edited:
Well, Ace & I wouldn't be Ace & I if we didn't hunt Residents' Weekend, so we did. Ace is 3-1/2 now & starting his 4th season. My 42nd season. I was very happy with the number of pheasants we saw. Cover at the 2 spots we hunted was pheznominal. Sloughs in the area are pretty dry. Beans are picked. Corn is underway & will come out fast I think.

Yesterday we hunted the last 1-1/2 hours of daylight & probably saw almost 20 pheasants, 4 of which were roosters. None of them gave us a shot. Jumpy. There was nearly zero breeze, so that makes stealth difficult. And they could've been hunted twice earlier in the day, plus the past 2 youth weekends. Who knows? But they're there. And we barely scratched the surface of this big CREP piece. Standing corn pretty much all around it. When we started hunting, it was 65 degrees, & Ace acted like it was pretty hard work. The last 1/2 hour was 55 degrees & he acted like it was mid-season & he was ready to go a few more hours. 10 degrees makes a big difference to a dog.

Today we had to get home for a birthday, & I wanted to beat the heat. So we got out at 10:00, which is super rare for us early in the season. Hunted a Walk-In Area & had our limit by 11:15. Saw the 3 roosters, plus 5 hens. All 8 birds flushed close. Again, barely scratched the surface of the spot we hunted. 2 last year's roosters; 1 this year's. All shot within 1/4 mile of each other. Yet 1 had an empty crop, 1 was full of beans, & 1 was full of grasshoppers. Interesting.

Anyway, it felt great to get out after them in earnest. Both of us seemed to remember how to do it, especially Ace, whose instincts & experience are turning him into a pretty great pheasant dog. I love that he can take 8 months off, yet go out when the big day finally arrives & not miss a beat. I think we're going to have another great season!!

Let's hear from some of you others who hunted this weekend. What'd you think??
View attachment 4228
Didn't hunt.Too hot.

It will be a very good year. I took one of my nephews out for youth and he got 1phez and 1 Grouse on Saturday. He limited on phez on Sunday. He came along with me for the opener this past weekend. My wife, myself and Brek all limited with nine birds. The picture is after our first walk. We got 5 more on Sunday plus 4 huns. We decided a limit wasn't needed on Sunday so proudly took what we had and cashed in so we could get some work done. I have to brag a little as my 12 year old nephew seems to have a gift for accuracy that makes me jealous. Love the fall.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 11.06.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-10 at 11.06.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-10 at 11.08.51 AM.png

Brent, great report! Do you ever wonder what dogs think when fall comes around? Do you think they know there is a season opener and closing? Or do they just wonder why we are lazy and not taking them out hunting everyday?!
Joel, I don't know how they know, but they know. All 3 of my dogs have exhibited signs that they know we're going to go hunting before I've done anything to indicate that we're actually going hunting. Last Sunday, my daughter Leah wanted to make a quick outing for the youth "season". We weren't planning to leave the house until late in the afternoon. Hadn't gotten any gear out - no gun, boots, collar - nothing. Yet Ace followed me around all day, way more than usual. When I finally went to change clothes & get ready to go, he followed me to the bedroom. I'd thrown my old hunting pants away at the end of last season. I took a brand new pair out of the closet, never worn, never washed, still had tags on them. And he started going crazy. I was like, "So you're telling me you know what hunting pants LOOK like???" Sometimes I'd swear he's missing several screws. And sometimes his brilliance is mind boggling.:LOL:

It will be a very good year. I took one of my nephews out for youth and he got 1phez and 1 Grouse on Saturday. He limited on phez on Sunday. He came along with me for the opener this past weekend. My wife, myself and Brek all limited with nine birds. The picture is after our first walk. We got 5 more on Sunday plus 4 huns. We decided a limit wasn't needed on Sunday so proudly took what we had and cashed in so we could get some work done. I have to brag a little as my 12 year old nephew seems to have a gift for accuracy that makes me jealous. Love the fall.

View attachment 4231View attachment 4232View attachment 4233
Dang he's only 12?

View attachment 4231View attachment 4232View attachment 4233
Livin the dream Mike! Can't wait to get out there with you this fall.

Went out Saturday and today. Ended Saturday with 2 but should of had 3. Ended today with one. Only hunted about two hours Saturday and an hour today. Started getting too hot to be running the dog.

Dang he's only 12?
I don't attempt to explain it but he definitely can shoot. He claims 19 Rudy's last season which I might question but he and I both know that I saw about 18 of those confirmed kills. This season he has three limits out of four days. The fourth day it was the guide's fault for not getting him out earlier before the rain set in. Probably the greatest feeling is taking out young people hunting and getting them hooked.

I don't attempt to explain it but he definitely can shoot. He claims 19 Rudy's last season which I might question but he and I both know that I saw about 18 of those confirmed kills. This season he has three limits out of four days. The fourth day it was the guide's fault for not getting him out earlier before the rain set in. Probably the greatest feeling is taking out young people hunting and getting them hooked.
Guide?

Back