Pointing Labs

Are bird numbers that low? How many birds do you get shots at in 15 miles?
Like I said not everyday. I generally don't miss very many. Seems like 2 years ago I killed the first 13 I shot at. Just depends on the day as to how many I see, but walking a field, I hope to get one rooster to hold close enough for me to kill but doesn't always work out. One trip in Iowa last year I shot a limit the second place I hunted in less than 30 minutes. Was done before 9:30. One day in Iowa over Xmas break last year I hunted all day and never fired a shot. The get skittish on public land late in the season. Kansas birds are down and so are most of the spots I have hunted for 20 years. Some of that crp that went in in 1997 has disappeared the last 2 years.

We anticipate replacing our old lab next spring. So many lab breeders now advertise "pointing labs". I've had labs for 50+ years and none were pointers. The concept actually eludes me. I'm so used to flushing labs that if my lab stopped and pointed I don't know what I would do. Obviously you can not train the pointer in them, but that seems a waste. That said, it seems a waste to buy a "pointing lab" and not develop a finished pointer. Luckily there are still kennels that breed plain old flushing labs. For those that have "pointing labs", have you finished them as pointers or do you let them break and flush, as some have noted in this thread?

You can check out my pup in a couple video links below. As I mentioned, I didn't seek out a pointing lab, I just happened to get one. Personally, it's a flusher that hesitates before flushing. I can show you twice as many of her simply running in and flushing. As I've watched her hunt, it seems to be that the pause (or point) happens when a bird is holding tight and she's trying to pinpoint exactly where it's at.

You can check out my pup in a couple video links below. As I mentioned, I didn't seek out a pointing lab, I just happened to get one. Personally, it's a flusher that hesitates before flushing. I can show you twice as many of her simply running in and flushing. As I've watched her hunt, it seems to be that the pause (or point) happens when a bird is holding tight and she's trying to pinpoint exactly where it's at.

gh: Just watched Sage track the cripple, shot next to a lake...amazing dog. Sure full of energy! As usual, "trust the dog."

I have a 6 yr old yellow lab that started pointing about 3 years ago. Although she doesn't look as pretty as a pointer? She absolutely locks up solid, sometimes with the head cocked 90 degrees and holds as long as I've ever needed her to. I never trained her for this? Now keep in mind she works close. She's not 100 yds in front finding birds and pointing. But the last 2 years if a bird sits, rooster or hen, she holds that point. She also points coveys and single quail alike. I think its funny except that I got her spayed and now can't replicate it. My buddies and I think she picked it up from spending a lot of time hunting with setters. In 2021, we had a snow storm move in and dump about 8-10 inches. When we went out right after it stopped, birds were sitting real tight. She pointed every bird she came across. Didn't flush a single bird. No other pups from her litter have done this. Kinda neat I guess?

I’ve enjoyed watching your videos. Thanks for posting.

Starting at 10 am, a bit of truck time between spots, and a lunch break, I hunt an honest 5 hours most days once it’s dark around 5:30, some days a bit more, some a bit less. I suspect I hunt around 1.75-2 mph…some fields are faster depending on amount and density of cover. Sharptail hunting is another matter, shorter, thinner cover allows for a more rapid pace…2.5-3 mph. The major limitation there is midday heat…but once cooler days come around a lot of miles get walked in that country. The first walk of the day commonly is 6 or more miles…the last of the day not as many, but not far off… usually a few shorter midday hikes depending on temps…12-14 miles aren’t an everyday thing but not uncommon. Birds in the bag are usually the limiting factor on the shorter walked days.

I should have taken the age and health of some into consideration. My apologies. My point was that putting on a lot of foot miles is not uncommon. And that these well bred labradors are more than capable. If you look at what these field bred labradors are accomplishing, they are superior athletes and more versatile than any other breed. And that it is really ignorant to suggest that these titled pointing labradors should not be bred. Raider for instance held both GMPR and MH titles as well as U.S. Open Pheasant Champion. Why would you not breed a dog like that? Most pointing lab breeders are breeding dogs with multiple titles and hip, elbow, eyes, cnm, eic clear and genetic testing. I would think very few breeders of other breeds go to those links
you make a lot of assumptions, which is fine if you don't have much exposure.

i would quit hunting if my dog had to cover 45 miles in a day.
Well my dog doesn't cover 45 miles in a day so i am good for now. I can see where that would be too much for you and your dog!!!!! However I might start hooking mine up to a sled. Those dogs go 100 miles a day.

Last edited:
Pointign labs can be good dogs just like any other dog, there's just something in them that makes them point. Sometimes its pretty solid, sometimes not. It don't make them true pointers but it don't make them not labs. I seen quite a few good ones. I like how Sage in the videos above sometimes points with her butt. Its weird but badass.

Think about walking 12-15 miles to hunt roodawgs. About the only way you could keejp that pace to walk that far is if your on a road or manacured trail and hunting pheasants way, way too fast. I said this before if you have to do that you either don't know how to hunt them or your in a area with not many phez and should move. You first clue should be the first shitty 4-5 miles. A hunter who knows how and where and when to hunt would be done by then even on a tough day.

Pointign labs can be good dogs just like any other dog, there's just something in them that makes them point. Sometimes its pretty solid, sometimes not. It don't make them true pointers but it don't make them not labs. I seen quite a few good ones. I like how Sage in the videos above sometimes points with her butt. Its weird but badass.

Think about walking 12-15 miles to hunt roodawgs. About the only way you could keejp that pace to walk that far is if your on a road or manacured trail and hunting pheasants way, way too fast. I said this before if you have to do that you either don't know how to hunt them or your in a area with not many phez and should move. You first clue should be the first shitty 4-5 miles. A hunter who knows how and where and when to hunt would be done by then even on a tough day.
There’s some truth to that. There’s days I’ll walk all day and not see three roosters. Hell there’s been days I haven’t seen one
I’ve been out of state once, a couple of years ago. If you throw out the second day, when I walked all day and then had to shoot the last couple out of the ditch I didn’t walk any where near what I have to in my home state. Three of the days I was done in a mile and a half. I’m sure it not like that all of time.
Guys come to Kansas and not kill a rooster over three days. I’m pretty fortunate in that I have some goods spots. But I also have some that are just ok. And when you go out and hunt new areas you’re going to find some bad ones. You hunt what you can.

My golden doesn't "point", but occasionally (maybe 20-30% of the time), he flash points and holds solid, does it more as he ages (he's 6 now). My though process is it's either when he sees the bird or the scent is so hot he knows it's right there. He generally darts between making eye contact with me and the bird as if to say, "Here he is stupid, don't miss." He waits until I tell him to flush (or my 3 year old if he's with). Not sure what makes him do that once in a while, but god it's fun when he does.

Favorite bird killed last year I had my 3 year old in the backpack and Lambeau when on "point". I whispered to my kid, tell him to flush 'em up. 3 year old screams at the top of his lungs, "Bambo Flush em up!" rooster comes cackling out and I pillow cased it. Right up there with one of my favorite memories of hunting.

Attachments

• LukeNiko.jpg
    LukeNiko.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4
There’s some truth to that. There’s days I’ll walk all day and not see three roosters. Hell there’s been days I haven’t seen one
I’ve been out of state once, a couple of years ago. If you throw out the second day, when I walked all day and then had to shoot the last couple out of the ditch I didn’t walk any where near what I have to in my home state. Three of the days I was done in a mile and a half. I’m sure it not like that all of time.
Guys come to Kansas and not kill a rooster over three days. I’m pretty fortunate in that I have some goods spots. But I also have some that are just ok. And when you go out and hunt new areas you’re going to find some bad ones. You hunt what you can.
And that’s no lie. There are places in Kansas that at one time we’re good as any. I have spent weekends out there on death marches to not even see a sign of a pheasant with the dogs looking at me like WTF? We getting out again?

Back