Pointing Labs

pointing lab, goldendoodle, labradoodle, they are all an attempt to breed something they should never be. leave it to man to dream up compromises. for instance, can you imagine a pointing lab running all day with a gsp? crazy! that first cast out to 200 yards?
i have owned and hunted with PL's, makes no sense, what most people expect....have fun.

Last edited:
pointing lab, goldendoodle, labradoodle, they are all an attempt to breed something they should never be. leave it to man to dream up compromises. for instance, can you imagine a pointing lab running all day with a gsp? crazy! that first cast out to 200 yards?
i have owned and hunted with PL's, makes no sense, what most people expect....have fun.
My old male pointed and he could out hunt any dog alive. I raised the best bred English setters in the country back in the day and not one could hold a candle to this dog. Especially over a 4 or 5 day hunt. He was 90 lbs with ribs showing and could just walk down a line of GSP's, raise his leg, and piss on everyone of them. He was out of this dog, and if you think this dog should have never been bred you are out of your mind!!!!https://www.holzingerkennels.com/stud_dogs-Raider.html Nothing wrong with a GSP, but if your bird of choice is a pheasant, a lab or springer is the dog that will put the most birds in your vest.

Attachments

• raider.jpg
    raider.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My old male pointed and he could out hunt any dog alive. I raised the best bred English setters in the country back in the day and not one could hold a candle to this dog. Especially over a 4 or 5 day hunt. He was 90 lbs with ribs showing and could just walk down a line of GSP's, raise his leg, and piss on everyone of them. He was out of this dog, and if you think this dog should have never been bred you are out of your mind!!!!https://www.holzingerkennels.com/stud_dogs-Raider.html Nothing wrong with a GSP, but if your bird of choice is a pheasant, a lab or springer is the dog that will put the most birds in your vest.
Great looking dog! My Whisky is out of Hunters Point Kennel and his dad was Capone.

Attachments

• 9D14BC46-063B-400E-BE41-23622FCAAEAA.jpeg
    9D14BC46-063B-400E-BE41-23622FCAAEAA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 1D46843B-4A4F-4154-B85F-B97D66BF2C27.jpeg
    1D46843B-4A4F-4154-B85F-B97D66BF2C27.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 402F99EB-089D-42E7-B193-73E85F4A8A90.jpeg
    402F99EB-089D-42E7-B193-73E85F4A8A90.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
BOOM!
LOL, well said, my soon to be 11 y.o. is out of Raider as well, you can really see the resemblance, still an awesome dog at his advanced age

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-143906_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-143906_Gallery.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 9
I have seen many pointing labs take a 200+ yd cast and not think twice. Hell, with most trainers prepping for hunt testing, those long marks are just warm ups! My pup has run multiple days in Kansas at 10+ miles a day looking for birds. A pointing lab is not a genetic mix like the other dogs you reference. It’s traits, not genetic change like mixing two different breeds.

I have seen many pointing labs take a 200+ yd cast and not think twice. Hell, with most trainers prepping for hunt testing, those long marks are just warm ups! My pup has run multiple days in Kansas at 10+ miles a day looking for birds. A pointing lab is not a genetic mix like the other dogs you reference. It’s traits, not genetic change like mixing two different breeds.
understand your defense. these 2 breeds are distinctly different, all day long, way more than 10 miles per day.
body structure and skeletal make up very different and not competitive, especially as they age.
not a match for speed and stamina, just isn't there. but there are a few good ones out there, with limitations.
enjoy.

Nice, looks like a beast!
Have had Black labs my whole life growing up, including currently another black almost 3 y o from Holzinger stock, cant beat em' all around hunting machines imo.

understand your defense. these 2 breeds are distinctly different, all day long, way more than 10 miles per day.
body structure and skeletal make up very different and not competitive, especially as they age.
not a match for speed and stamina, just isn't there. but there are a few good ones out there, with limitations.
enjoy.
Wrong!!!! I personally walk 15 miles a day hunting, would imagine my dogs more than triple that.

Wrong!!!! I personally walk 15 miles a day hunting, would imagine my dogs more than triple that.
That's one hell of a lot of miles in a day. I would guess most hunters don't do a third that much. And for a dog to put on 45 miles in a day would be hard to believe. According you my Garmin Alpha my Brittany runs about 4-5 miles for every one that I walk.

That's one hell of a lot of miles in a day. I would guess most hunters don't do a third that much. And for a dog to put on 45 miles in a day would be hard to believe. According you my Garmin Alpha my Brittany runs about 4-5 miles for every one that I walk.
I agree Zeb, good post.
Your numbers match up almost exactly to mine.

I agree Zeb, good post.
Your numbers match up almost exactly to mine.
Old 5 stand, most sections are 1/2 miles. Here is how I hunt them. Walk an edge 1/2 mile in then go up the outside edge another half mile, then repeat back to the truck. That's about 2 miles. I may do that 3, 4 or 5 times in the morning then repeat in the afternoon. I understand that most hunters aren't willing or able to hunt that much, you included. But I do, and my dogs will triple that easily quartering. Very few hunters can keep up with me and hunt like I do. My son could in his teen years but not now. I average 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day teaching elementary pe. At near 60, I can still hunt like I did in my early 20s. Hell I might walk 2 miles to a deer stand to hunt in the evening. If you hunt much at all, you are walking more than you think. I do alternate my dogs every other walk. I don't get in a line with a bunch of guys and try to round up pheasants like a bunch of Rhode island reds. I hunt them and shoot limits. I do know some guys up by Norton that hunt more than I do. They go through 2-3 pairs of hunting boots per year. I might not walk that much every trip. Some hunts I might limit out on the first walk. Other times I might walk all day and shoot 1 or 2 birds. Some days, it might be too hot to hunt in the afternoon. But on some days, and on those trips to Iowa, I hunt from 8:00 to 4:00 non stop.

Last edited:
WKSBH, My lab Kepa's sire is Raiders Risky Rico By Holzinger, son of Rik's Risky Raider (the yellow lab in the pic you posted) so your post interested me. What I don't get though is the need to "piss" on other dog's in any post.

enjoy.
I should have clarified that mileage was what I walked per my Garmin, so the dog probably did double or more. I hear ya about a GSP running like crazy, but these labs can carry the load for sure.

Last edited:
Old 5 stand, most sections are 1/2 miles. Here is how I hunt them. Walk an edge 1/2 mile in then go up the outside edge another half mile, then repeat back to the truck. That's about 2 miles. I may do that 3, 4 or 5 times in the morning then repeat in the afternoon. I understand that most hunters aren't willing or able to hunt that much, you included. But I do, and my dogs will triple that easily quartering. Very few hunters can keep up with me and hunt like I do. My son could in his teen years but not now. I average 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day teaching elementary pe. At near 60, I can still hunt like I did in my early 20s. Hell I might walk 2 miles to a deer stand to hunt in the evening. If you hunt much at all, you are walking more than you think. I do alternate my dogs every other walk. I don't get in a line with a bunch of guys and try to round up pheasants like a bunch of Rhode island reds. I hunt them and shoot limits. I do know some guys up by Norton that hunt more than I do. They go through 2-3 pairs of hunting boots per year. I might not walk that much every trip. Some hunts I might limit out on the first walk. Other times I might walk all day and shoot 1 or 2 birds. Some days, it might be too hot to hunt in the afternoon. But on some days, and on those trips to Iowa, I hunt from 8:00 to 4:00 non stop.
I’ve done a few 15s the two I remember involved 4 or 5 of us trying to shoot limits. I remember this one time we were hunting with a retired rural mail man. He was close to 70 and walked it like it was nothing. It was a lot of work,,, moving vehicles but he knew every spot in the county and what seemed like unlimited access.
Most days I’ll hunt a couple of quarters in the morning hunting two edges and maybe a diagonal. Then mid morning I’ll hop in a half section and just follow the dogs for 3 or 4 hours. After that I’ll drive around looking at new fields or go to town for a couple of hours. Mid afternoon I’ll hit a couple more fields. Usually a little bit of time left to hit one more but generally I get on the road and start the drive home while there’s still a little bit of daylight left. Days like that I figure I do about 10 and my dogs about 25. Chesapeakes , if not too hot or too sunny they’ve always had enough leg.
A person who got out and followed the dogs all day could do 15 and a dog in good shape could do 40 or more.

I’ve done a few 15s the two I remember involved 4 or 5 of us trying to shoot limits. I remember this one time we were hunting with a retired rural mail man. He was close to 70 and walked it like it was nothing. It was a lot of work,,, moving vehicles but he knew every spot in the county and what seemed like unlimited access.
Most days I’ll hunt a couple of quarters in the morning hunting two edges and maybe a diagonal. Then mid morning I’ll hop in a half section and just follow the dogs for 3 or 4 hours. After that I’ll drive around looking at new fields or go to town for a couple of hours. Mid afternoon I’ll hit a couple more fields. Usually a little bit of time left to hit one more but generally I get on the road and start the drive home while there’s still a little bit of daylight left. Days like that I figure I do about 10 and my dogs about 25. Chesapeakes , if not too hot or too sunny they’ve always had enough leg.
A person who got out and followed the dogs all day could do 15 and a dog in good shape could do 40 or more.
Like I said I alternate dogs, so every other hunt to keep them fresh. Not everyday is an all day 15 miles trek, but some are. I like the exercise and like to get as many miles in as possible. I can't understand why these guys think 15 miles over 8 hours is impossible. Heck when I used to run everyday it was 2-3 miles before breakfast. It only takes 15 minutes to walk a mile so you guys walking/hunting 5 miles a day aren't doing much hunting at all.

Last edited:
Did that mailman happen to be in Rush county?

you guys walking/hunting 5 miles a day aren't doing much hunting at all.
I beg to differ with you. But obviously you are quite a bit younger than I am (76). Even 10-15 years ago I could hunt non-stop from 10:00 AM until sundown. Those days are in the rearview mirror. Now 2-3 hours in the field is enough. Age and Afib have contributed to that. Since I can't cover as much ground anymore that's why I have a big running Brittany to do it for me.

I beg to differ with you. But obviously you are quite a bit younger than I am (76). Even 10-15 years ago I could hunt non-stop from 10:00 AM until sundown. Those days are in the rearview mirror. Now 2-3 hours in the field is enough. Age and Afib have contributed to that. Since I can't cover as much ground anymore that's why I have a big running Brittany to do it for me.
I should have taken the age and health of some into consideration. My apologies. My point was that putting on a lot of foot miles is not uncommon. And that these well bred labradors are more than capable. If you look at what these field bred labradors are accomplishing, they are superior athletes and more versatile than any other breed. And that it is really ignorant to suggest that these titled pointing labradors should not be bred. Raider for instance held both GMPR and MH titles as well as U.S. Open Pheasant Champion. Why would you not breed a dog like that? Most pointing lab breeders are breeding dogs with multiple titles and hip, elbow, eyes, cnm, eic clear and genetic testing. I would think very few breeders of other breeds go to those links

Last edited:
Back