pictures of the new pup

nc bird man

I felt as though we we're a little under dogged while in Kansas this year. Well-i had to have a good excuse for another little buddy. She is a Smith setter out of Walkers true colors and Benelli's Quail blaster from True citizen and Clarks black copper. It took her all of about 20 seconds to lock up on the wing the first time. Having 2 setters already i gave a lot of hard thought into trying a Brittany this time--I just could'nt pull the trigger--it's something about the tail.
Now the work/fun begins.

Tom

Cute little girl, I like the way she is holding that point good sign.---Bob

Congrats on the new huntin' buddy.

I find it humerous that you thought of a different breed such as the Brittany. I just went down the same road, except that I'm a Brittany guy. I had to put my 13 year old Brittany male down in September. I still had a 5 year old female. I had been thinking of another dog for over a year and looking at a bunch of breeds thinking I wanted a different one. I looked at Setters (English & Gordon), French Brittanys, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, the Braque du Bourbonnais, Small Munsterlander and the French Spaniel. But when it came right down to it I just had to have another Britt. For me I didn't want a long-tailed dog. Each to his own.

Here's a pic of the new little gal at 3 months. She 4 months now and I think going to be a good one.

Elle's a beauty

Dakota,

Elle's a beauty. Isn't it funny how that works. Even at 50 years old i think mine probably stems from them old Field & Stream covers i would see when i was a kid. Beautiful Setters on the cover and the fancy pants dudes hunting them. Always wanting something i couldn't have until i was older. When i got out of school and on my own i had to buy whatever i could find around real cheap because i was poor. First dog was a wirehair x english pointer cross. Ugly as sin but it was a bird dog and at the time that's all that mattered. Got out of the sport to raise kids and make a living--things eventually slowed down and got back into bird dogging and i knew what i had to have nothing less than a setter for me. My hunting buddy has Britts and i love his dogs. We have great Britts accessible in this area (Nolan Huffmans Beeline). So it would have been easier than finding another good setter--i just couldn't do it. Hope yours turns out great. Good luck.
Tom

Tom,
Don't you just love it! I had Springers for over 20 years but after I got my first Brittany 13 years ago there is no way I could go back to a non-pointing dog. I just have to attach a picture of Rocky. He's the one I had to put down in September. He was a pretty stout Brittany and a hell-of-a-hunter. Best retriever I ever had.
Good luck with your pup.
George

Tom and Dakota,
Have a little commonality with both you guys. Got out of serious bird hunting for a few years to raise family also. Hunted with my 2 springers for about 15 years. Both are now gone. Plan to get serious again, have recently hunted with a friend with a GSP. I'm going to try to make a first trip KS this year.

So could you offer a comparison between the Britts and the Springers besides flushing vs. pointing?? I don't know much about Brittanys.

Thanks, billyb :coolpics:

Billyb, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I will admit I have never owned a Springer. But have some close friends that do. I have had Britt's for neigh onto 40 some years now. Most Britt's will do it all Hunt, Retrieve, most if not mistreated are very friendly. I did learn the hard way on my first Britt. Never and I mean never hit or slap a Britt. They never forget and they never forgive. I have had some that were fantastic water fowl dogs. If started young they will swim in any water. I had a little female Misty. She would break ice just to take a swim. They are a very good family dog great with children. They will lick children to death of you let them. My wife just came in and read what I'm typing. Her comment was; "A Britt any day over a Springer." She has been a dog person since I've known her which is 55 years. Believe this or not. I never select my own pups she does. I have never had a bad one.---Bob

Last edited:
billyb.

I see a lot of similarities in the hunting style of the Springers and Brittanys. That is in how they quarter back and forth in their search for game. They are both spaniel type dogs even though spaniel has been dropped from the Brittany name. I think in general the Brittanys have a bigger range but are very controlable if trained properly. The Springer might be a better water dog if you do any waterfowl hunting. I think it all comes down to whether you want a flusher or a pointer. Like I previously said, I had Springers for over 20 years and still have a soft spot for them. But after having a Brittany I couldn't go back to a Springer. There's just something about them locking up solid on point, you walking up to them and seeing that look in their eyes. That stare that is burning holes through the cover and telling you there is a bird here. It's like an addiction and I'm addicted.

But you couldn't go wrong with either breed. Just make sure you are getting a pup out of good stock and from a reputable breeder. If possible, check out the parents and grandparents to make sure they have the hunting ability you are looking for and also the tempernment. I've seen dogs in both breeds that were hyper and bouncing off the walls. Fortunately all my Springers and Brittanys have had great personalities. Very laid back around the house but flip the switch when they sense they are going hunting. Both breeds make excellent house dogs. Remember, you will hunt with the dog 2-3 months a year. So the rest of the year you want a dog that is easy to live with.

Good luck with your search for a new huntin' buddy. Afterall that's half the fun. Let's us know what you decide.

One more thought. If possible, hunt behind each breed and see for yourself which you prefer.

George

Great looking pup - I look forward to seeing more pics (hint hint!) of her as she grows and you advance with your training. Good luck and have fun!
-Croc

Tom, great looking pup! The pedigree is very good as well. The wing predicts better things to come. Congrats!

Stunning Brit Pup

Congrats on the new huntin' buddy.

I find it humerous that you thought of a different breed such as the Brittany. I just went down the same road, except that I'm a Brittany guy. I had to put my 13 year old Brittany male down in September. I still had a 5 year old female. I had been thinking of another dog for over a year and looking at a bunch of breeds thinking I wanted a different one. I looked at Setters (English & Gordon), French Brittanys, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, the Braque du Bourbonnais, Small Munsterlander and the French Spaniel. But when it came right down to it I just had to have another Britt. For me I didn't want a long-tailed dog. Each to his own.

Here's a pic of the new little gal at 3 months. She 4 months now and I think going to be a good one.

What a high style beauty.

Here's a new picture of Elle scent pointing at 4 months. She's been working very well in the field. Doing a nice job quarterting in front of me and responds great to the whistle. Of course the big advantage I have here in SD it that she has already seen hundreds of pheasants Can't wait 'till this fall.

thanks guys

Thanks for all the kind words. She has turned into a holy terror since my last post. I am afraid the only thing that will hold her back will be my inability. I have pledged to do my best and should have plenty of time (i recently sold a business i had owned) So i am taking a little sabbatical until August.

Tom

Dakotazeb, I just love the way Elle points with her tail up. Tony has not done that at all, even as pup. We would correct him and put his tail up. By the time we walked to the bird he had it back down again. I feel with the tail up like that, it gives the dog a "Classic" look. Maybe classic isn't the word but you know what I mean.

N.C.birdman, Pups have a way of turning into a terror. That is when you know she thinks she is home and is safe ---Bob

Last edited:
Tom, just so you don't loose faith, the ones that have been the biggest challenge for me have turned out to be the best dogs overall. You'll get through it!

Back