Party hunting?

Probably need your definition of what you're calling party hunting. Are you talking about large groups, group bagging.......?

It's illegal in Kansas. A bag limit is per hunter/per day. You can only kill for your bag. Once you've filled your bag, you're done.

That's the law but I'm pretty sure most people ignore it. 5 guys, 3 birds a day. Most groups are just going to hunt until they get to 15. Figure in the above scenario, when they get to 14 you'd only have one guy hunting and the other four sitting around back at the truck. I've never heard of anyone being busted for it. I never thought the law made much common sense. But it is the law in most places.

This regulation was just recently changed in SD to allow party hunting. But like Big Rand said, the group has to be together.

Zeb, correct me if I'm wrong, but party hunting for upland has always been ok, but the rule that just changed a few years ago related to party fishing which wasn't allowed, but realistically unenforceable when you have abunch of guys in an icehouse fishing perch. Yes or no

Party hunting is legal in MN.

Party hunting for small game
A ?party? is defined as a group of two or more persons maintaining unaided
visual and vocal contact with each other while taking non-
migratory small game. ?Party hunting? means that members of a party may take animals for other members? limits. A party may lawfully take small game in accordance with the following regulations:
? A member of the party may take more than an individual limit, but the
total number of small game taken and possessed by the party may not
exceed the combined limits of members of the party.
? Each party member may transport only an individual limit of small game.
? Party hunting is not allowed for migratory game birds (doves, ducks, geese,
mergansers, coots, woodcock, rail, sandhill cranes, snipe, and gallinules).

Zeb, correct me if I'm wrong, but party hunting for upland has always been ok, but the rule that just changed a few years ago related to party fishing which wasn't allowed, but realistically unenforceable when you have abunch of guys in an icehouse fishing perch. Yes or no

No, Party hunting was illegal in SD for small game until recently. It just wasn't enforced is all. They did make some changes to allow party fishing as well.

Here is the fishing statute. The version of the fishing handbook wont allow me to copy and paste.

http://legis.sd.gov/Statutes/Codified_Laws/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=41-12-21

Party Hunting Daily Limits
Two or more legally licensed hunters who mutually
agree to hunt small game as a party and who maintain
visual and unaided vocal contact may take more than
one daily limit of small game. However, the total number
of small game taken by the party may not exceed the
aggregate daily limit for all members of the party who
are licensed to take and possess small game.
This does not apply to anyone who hunts small
game in more than one party in one day.
This does not apply to any Big Game License or any
tag issued as a part of a hunting license nor does this
section apply to hunting of migratory birds.

Like a lot of laws.....probably based on sound ideas, orchestrated by non hunters, it sounds good....absolutely impossible to enforce, unless you have game warden in the hunting party, one of your comrades decides to fall on the knife, and confess, or throw you under the bus! Enlightenment is repeal or ignore. If we are all sportsmen, we play by rules which are handed down from generations before, you hunt with kindred spirits. I have deleted "friends" who shoot to close to dogs, shoot out of cars, trespass, litter, and drink in the field. Some pheasant hunting can not easily be a solitary experience. If you select certain habitat sure, with cracker jack dogs, but wide open fields with easy exits, doubtful. I would say a hunter with under limit birds should be placed in the pole position, walk-in on points, etc. it's courtesy and responsible and good sportsmanship. A lot of bag limits are designed to cut the destruction of waterfowl hunting, where A-5's and M-12's full magazines amass a huge bags of species on the brink of extermination. It's a lot easier to sit and be a game hog in the duck blind, not very common as an uplander. Waterfowl hunting is a bag limit sport for many, there is the breath taking mornings, perfect calling, sensational shots, and the work with land management which are rewarding. Uplanders are dog work aficionado's, a great limit is fine at the end of the day, but a thrilling retrieve, a chess game where a dog outfoxes the bird, or a breath taking point out on the edge....priceless.

3car is correct. Party hunting was illegal in South Dakota until just recently. but like he said, it just wasn't enforced.

I disagree with it all together. If I was hunting with my dogs on the ground with an out-of-state tag that I bought, Id be pissed if I got my limit without firing a shot! Like oldandnew said, laws change. Universal truths are always gonna be constant and consistent. As upland bird hunters we have to adopt a code of ethics stronger than other hunters. We hunt birds that are disappearing slowly. So my generation adopts ethics such as: not over hunting an area, not hunting down whole coveys, we dont hunt quail late so they have time to covey back up before night fall...etc. And party hunting upland birds??? Pass. I know guys that take warm bodies that have never shot a gun before, but they buy a tag and someone else shoots their limit for them. If they were starving to death I'd say ok. But that scenario goes beyond my ethics. So do the giant group hunts. Got the invite to go to South Dakota last year with a group of 18! Granted they split up when they hunted sometimes but they were pumped when they came back with 53 pheasants. Thats not quite 3 birds a piece on a five day trip! They also told me,"If you're gonna go, leave your dog at home." Which I replied, "If my dog stays home, I stay home." And thats just what I did. Hunted at home instead. And both me and my dog were ok with that

I disagree with it all together. If I was hunting with my dogs on the ground with an out-of-state tag that I bought, Id be pissed if I got my limit without firing a shot! Like oldandnew said, laws change. Universal truths are always gonna be constant and consistent. As upland bird hunters we have to adopt a code of ethics stronger than other hunters. We hunt birds that are disappearing slowly. So my generation adopts ethics such as: not over hunting an area, not hunting down whole coveys, we dont hunt quail late so they have time to covey back up before night fall...etc. And party hunting upland birds??? Pass. I know guys that take warm bodies that have never shot a gun before, but they buy a tag and someone else shoots their limit for them. If they were starving to death I'd say ok. But that scenario goes beyond my ethics. So do the giant group hunts. Got the invite to go to South Dakota last year with a group of 18! Granted they split up when they hunted sometimes but they were pumped when they came back with 53 pheasants. Thats not quite 3 birds a piece on a five day trip! They also told me,"If you're gonna go, leave your dog at home." Which I replied, "If my dog stays home, I stay home." And thats just what I did. Hunted at home instead. And both me and my dog were ok with that

difference.........some people like to shoot, some like to hunt....i would rather hunt w/the dog!

Back