Opener.

Wow. Slowest pheasant opener I have experienced since the 70s. I believe the North Dakota Game and Fish was optimistic with their prediction of a 60% decline in the pheasant population. 70% or better here. Hunted nothing but absolute prime pheasant habitat. Saw few birds. Zero young birds. Four hens. After 13 miles of prairie exploration I was eating fresh pheasant pate and drinking Old Pulteney scotch though.

Dang, that's a bummer to hear. What part of the state were you in. I'm trying to make my first trip out this November around Hettinger, but all these poor reports have me second guessing myself.

Saw the same, hunted around Mott on private sections, low numbers and i'd agree with worse than 60% down...i'd say 75-80%. Been all over the SW bowhunting/scouting and sharptails and huns seem to be the way to keep any action going. Corn held some birds and same with oats, but harvest of crops is maybe 25% completed from what i've seen in activity. Group of 5 of us with three dogs only took 3 on opener, probably should've been 6...but didn't see many more roosters than the 6 on 600 acres.

hunted saturday only. our group of 4 killed limits in about 2 hours...got mine in about 90 minutes. about 10 of our 12 birds were young birds. Can't say where we were, but it seems OK...never hunted there before, nothing to compare to...but I assume birds are down quite a bit. I hunted a small WPA that was adjacent to where I was hunting sharp tails the day before and saw the pheasants using this area. much fun. killed my limit of sharps by ten.

yes. never hunted in the area i was at, just heard from my buddies how things were different from past years...less cover for sure due to the drought....haying/grazing...cattails being cut and baled, etc...

Hey all, congrats B-B, looks like you did very well, good going. I did post about my opening day on another thread, but did go out yesterday. My son and I saw about 8 birds, and I was able to get one. But, my GSP Raina got a good gash on her leg, so that ended our hunt early. That really sucked!

Went out today solo and no dog, didn't see a thing!!! Terrible hunting, but a nice day for a walk!

Anyway, here's my bird from Sunday. I was using my 12b F.A. Anderson

Hope Raina heals fast!

Best, Greg

Last edited:
Greg--thought about getting in touch to shake your hand and ogle over a few of your guns! didn't work out...my new (to me) AYA #2 20 gauge was sure fun! love the 29" pipes...and open chokes...made 3 really long shots on grouse...pure luck....

Greg--thought about getting in touch to shake your hand and ogle over a few of your guns! didn't work out...my new (to me) AYA #2 20 gauge was sure fun! love the 29" pipes...and open chokes...made 3 really long shots on grouse...pure luck....

Not sure I follow the report: did you use #2 shot and open chokes?

Thanks!

Not sure I follow the report: did you use #2 shot and open chokes?

Thanks!

SORRY!!! GJW and I spoke a few weeks ago...I asked him to check out a gun for me online...an AYA #2 side by side 20 gauge...no, for the pheasants I used a 16 gauge O/U with #6 Hevi-Shot...I was on a WPA...lethal stuff!!!! open chokes in all my guns...most are SK1/SK2

I hunted from Saturday from 8-11am. I hunted in central part of the state south of 94.

First off it was difficult hunting all the corn was up, most flowers were still up. soybeans were being harvested. so compared to last year the only thing up last year opening weekend was corn. This area has had a bunch of rain in the last 6 weeks. the crops looked bad. but the grass around them was lush. I have never seen this before in ND. and there was standing water in places that usually doesn't hold water. Also the corn was as green as I ever have seen it (this late). I think the corn is looking like harvesting around nov 7th maybe as late as 15th.

We saw a decent amount, we saw 4 hens and 4 roosters. but all were this year birds except one. so I didn't hunt much and for sure didn't hunt hard. We had older dogs and there was some cover they couldn't go into. So I am optimistic. heading out this Friday-Monday, and will hunt hard all three days, will give update then.

we hunted private land. as out state can't hunt plots.

Jim

SORRY!!! GJW and I spoke a few weeks ago...I asked him to check out a gun for me online...an AYA #2 side by side 20 gauge...no, for the pheasants I used a 16 gauge O/U with #6 Hevi-Shot...I was on a WPA...lethal stuff!!!! open chokes in all my guns...most are SK1/SK2

Wondered about using #2...thanks for clarifying. I use Improved Cyl for pheasants, have not considered skeet. I tried the skeet chokes for sporting clays and skeet. Didn't notice much difference with my 20 ga..

Have a great season - sounds like you are off to a good start!

wondered about using #2...thanks for clarifying. I use improved cyl for pheasants, have not considered skeet. I tried the skeet chokes for sporting clays and skeet. Didn't notice much difference with my 20 ga..

Have a great season - sounds like you are off to a good start!

thanks! You too!!!!

SE corner checking in. Bad bad bad. Two days, 10 hours, 3 birds total. Private land that has always given up limits on opener.

Hey B-B, too bad, would have been fun! maybe next time. Anyway, glad your AyA is working out so well. Hope you have many long and healthy years shooting her.

Stay Well!

Greg

Back