Opener.

Good day yesterday. Decided to get the dogs out for a couple walks before it got too hot in the Dak. Only three birds seen but all decided to challenge the pups. Which led to three points, three shots, three retrieves, and a full bag limit. Time to clean birds and have cigar and a scotch.

I hunted opening week in the Hettinger, Reeder, and Scranton area,4 guys and 2 dogs. While we had a great time hanging out and working with the dogs, the numbers are way down, I've been hunting this area for 12 years and never thought it could get so bad. The numbers are down more than 60%, more like 80 to 90%.
I hope the birds come back soon.
Our group hunted only private land , prime cover.

in Central Part of state we saw a decent amount of birds. The corn was still up. and it sounded like it wouldn't be off till Nov 1st-10th. All the other crops were off.

Bird numbers felt down but more like 20-30% where I hunted. Its a little hard to Judge because last year all the crop was off. this year the corn was still up.

Jim

I drove across a good chunk of the state today on 94. Saw only two or three combines in the corn and one picked sunflower field. So far bird numbers have been down for me but I have not been out enough to get a good read on things.

wow, but was there a lot of standing corn and flowers?

Yes there was standing sun flowers, but in the evening there was no crowing or birds coming out of the fields. Its kind of funny but our group likes to have a beer after the hunt and listen and watch for pheasants.

Sweet gun isn't it. I picked one up too and my rooster knock down percentage went way up. Just feels right, follow up shots are fast and accurate. Headed up to crested butte lodge just east of Hettinger for a few days next week with my uncle and old man. I hope we get into a few birds. All the poor reports made us think long and hard about canceling our plans. But we are going to give it a go anyways. Guess we will see...

Afternoon of cooking. Pheasant liver ragu for a nice pasta supper tonight. Pheasant paté for happy hour. Pheasant Pho for tomorrow’s supper.

Afternoon of cooking. Pheasant liver ragu for a nice pasta supper tonight. Pheasant paté for happy hour. Pheasant Pho for tomorrow’s supper.

I am blonde, about 5 foot five, 123 lbs, great body, and love to walk in the fields with nice men who can cook!! very pretty...love to pet the dogs! ok, i lie...but that food sounds sublime!!!!!!!!!

Fitbit says a bit over 13 miles of prairie perusal today In near 60 degree temps. Limit of roosters and a couple sharp tails. Forgot about the melting snow and its impact on prairie trails. Remembered after doing two miles of one trail mostly sideways.

Wonderful day wandering the prairie with my wife Mo. Roosters were exceptionally skittish. Near perfect dog work brought the birds home. Time to watch the dvred Vikings game. Hop Hunter here and Mudpuppy Porter for Mo.

Back