Now what?

turtle

Already packed for November. Started pouring snagging sinkers to kill time between crappie fishing. Just bored at the moment. How many more days till opener?

Start training next week. Getting my lab ready to get her hunting retriever title.

Gonna be a fun spring and summer!

Got a text from my breeder yesterday morning. Litter of 8 labs on the ground. 2 black females and I have first pick of black females. I'll be heading to Concordia in 3 to 4 weeks to start making my decision. Look forward to training this spring and summer.

I help a lot of folks burn because I enjoy it. Burned 2 places last year that hadn't burned in years. One guy the previous owner took fire out of the landscape to "help the quail" and the native grasses were being taken over by cedars, hedge, locust, etc. It was one of the most impressive fires I have seen. I've got some pictures somewhere. We burned it on a day that had an east wind but the RH bottomed out. We actually waited to burn the second chunk till evening.

I had a trip planned to TX but backed out this past weekend as I needed to stay home - better I did - the wife was pretty sick with the flu.

Upcoming weekend I want to head to OK to hunt their grasslands.

Thumb twiddling until spring turkey, but that's a two shot and you're done season.

Troy I would come out there to help if it wasn't so far to get back here when I get called out for work

Troy I would come out there to help if it wasn't so far to get back here when I get called out for work

I'm finding that work is sure getting in the way of a lot of things. Don't remember that being a problem in high school. But the days were longer then. That was when we slept to get rest. Now we go to bed to be reminded of all the parts we abused making us need that rest!

How much of a setback do you mow around your buildings? I would like to burn the west side of my property, but I remember how hot the East side got last time... Maybe split the parcel at the building, and burn each half on days when the wind is blowing away from it??? Or I guess I could just mow/disc an even wider fire break and still back burn it starting on the building side so the fire moves a little slower.

Last edited:
If you hunt different states, you can get a whole bunch of turkeys, and weeks of hunting.I use a bow sometimes, but lost a huge tom last year, in the Missouri .

Just come to the smoke!

That could be one long trip a lot of real estate between us and I would first have to get out of Michigan. Would be fun to visit and help with your habitat burns. I may try and get on a burn team for lower Michigan to do the same type of work.

How much of a setback do you mow around your buildings? I would like to burn the west side of my property, but I remember how hot the East side got last time... Maybe split the parcel at the building, and burn each half on days when the wind is blowing away from it??? Or I guess I could just mow/disc an even wider fire break and still back burn it starting on the building side so the fire moves a little slower.

30 ft of defensible space is the absolute minimum. Depending on topography and other factors more may be required. Rule of thumb for other fire breaks is 1 1/2 times the expected flame height.

The rule is 10X. You need a fire break that is 10X as wide as the height of the nearest fuel. If you have 3 foot fuel, 30 feet. If there is a 15 foot cedar there, it's 150. The minimum is enough to turn a vehicle around in. You don't want to have to drive in fire to get out. I usually mow at least 25 feet and then disk 16 feet of that. The other 9 feet of 2 inch grass lowers my 10X. If the grass is higher, I mow an extra 6-12 feet as needed. Using backfire to widen the mowed and disked area is usually done first. I never more than double the break until it is fairly wide. A drip torch and some kind of ATV to light off of really speeds things up.

I guess we get to stay in your cabins???:D Do you allow dogs in the cabins? When do you start and when do you need the most help? I hunted 20+ days in Kansas this year I feel like I should help out.

Back