no luck

I am just not having any luck at all, I was supose to go to South Dakota for the opener to hunt around Leola with a couple of friends, one decided he had better marry his girl friend this next year and he culd not afford to use his vacation time for hunting. Sure ain't got his prioritys right yet ( : than I was going to go with a friend and his two grandsons to Huron the middle of November, well his one grandson can not get off work due to cut backs and he has to cover the guys hours who left, now I find out his other grandsons fiaence has MS and is having lots of troubles. I will find out in a few days if he can go, if not that hunt is not going to happen. I have another friend who just reired from the military who want to go and he will be able to if he gets some of his coworkers to cover his hours at Bass Pro shop where he works. We are thinking about going and staying at the outpost lodge just North of Pierre, a real nice place to stay or go to Leola and stay at the Kozy Inn also a pretty nice place I hear. If he can not make it I guess I will put the old overhead camper on the truck, hook up the dog trailer and head to the outback lodge and stay in their camping area. It has water, electricity but no toliots. But no matter what I am going. I will try to keep it as inexpensive as I can as a military disability check only goes so far. Not that it is not a fair amount but still have to stay within means. I was wondering how does it look around the area north of Pierre as well as around Leola. Would appreciate any info, are you seeing birds, is the corn out any at all, how wet is it and any info you might think about. To all I'm hope you all have a great hunt, always great to meet up with the guys throw a few brews back and watch the BS start : ) It "s not always about how many birds you kill but it sure don"t hurt to limit out.

Leola area is very wet. Oh did I say wet. Though it looks like the forecast for the next couple of weeks could change everything is a hurry.

With all the rain the harvest has been bascially been non existent in MN, ND and SD.

Thanks Deacon for that information I guess I will probably try the area North of Pierre that I mentioned unless something works out with my friend and his grandson, they were suppose to get with me today but still nothing, my other friend is to get back with me tomorrow. I guess once I hear from them I will know what to expect.I started cleaning my guns that I am taking, a remington 11-87, a browning upland special as well as a Browning BPS upland special, and my GSPs are going ape s**t. I pulled the ole hunting vest out as well as my brush pants and they are running in circles, when I was in the garage I put on my waders with my chaps over them, maybe my hunting outfit this year if it doesn't dry up.

.I started cleaning my guns that I am taking, a remington 11-87, a browning upland special as well as a Browning BPS upland special, and my GSPs are going ape s**t. I pulled the ole hunting vest out as well as my brush pants and they are running in circles, when I was in the garage I put on my waders with my chaps over them, maybe my hunting outfit this year if it doesn't dry up.

nice...good visual.

you're more than welcome to join us ks folks -- even let ya bring them gsps!

southernblues, I might take you up on that, I just finished printing the Kansas walking in brochure thinking about going there instead.Sure appreciate you willing to let me bring my GSPs

copheasanthunter,

As has been said it is very wet in NE South Dakota. I haven't heard any reports from the Pierre area but would have to believe they are much dried than it would be in the Leola area. We are having some very nice weather right now that is suppose to last through the week. Where they can get in the fields they shoudl be finishing up the beans and maybe even start on some corn. But many field still have standing water in them. God only know when some of those field will be harvested.

My buddy from Pueblo comes out every year and he was going to come in a couple weeks. I told him to wait until December.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Zeb, we are scheduled to leave this Saturday for Arlington and then hunt for 5 days-our plan B is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and hope more corn is out, it's drier, and colder. Just 2 of us and my dog and we usually get on private land and in any conditions it's tougher with 2.There is also a group of 5 from this area who we know and we found out we "share" some of the same private land-not the best situation either. They will be there the same time but not later. What to do? The hotel owner said the 1st 2 weeks the hunters did well but last week was not good due to weather, rain, water, etc. Any comments? I can't make a decision:confused:

Geno,

I was out for a while this afternoon and the combines are really rolling where they can get in the fields. They are still mainly working on beans but I did see one field of corn being combined. With the nice weather forecast for the remainder of the week they should make a dent in the crops. You might want to check with the guys from your hunting area as to what's happening there.

But it's wet. Don't try any non-improved roads like section lines. Take a look at the photo I attached. That's my white Expedition after an attempt to get down a section line to a public hunting area. I made it out but I'll have mud dripping off my vehicle until it freezes up.

Zeb, that's a photo I can relate to. We take my friends Chev Silverado Pick-up on our trips and he says he doesn't get all the mud out until the spring thaw:p We do drive the backroads, but normally just the non-paved roads with gravel and don't really go much at all in unimproved areas, but we have been down some tricky areas where we ended up backing out a mile or so. Your report is more encouraging but I still wonder if it won't be better the end of November/1st of December. Before we started these 2 trips a year, that's when we went out after Thanksgiving and did very well. I'm anxious to go but don't care for the extra 10 pounds of mud on my boots-and Gore-tex isn't really waterproof is it:eek: Thanks again.

Zeb, today I cancelled the trip for this week-end and we will go out on 11-28 instead-hopefully conditions will be better. I see the 10 day forecast for Arlington calls for rain 3 of the 5 days were would be hunting next week so there are just too many signals telling us not to go. Thanks for your honest comments-it's just too much time, travel and $ for us out of staters not to do all we can to get the best hunting conditions possible. And then there are certainly no guarantees! Best regards.

Proof that no matter how many ethical and responsible hunters there are, just one jerk in a hundred gives all the rest a bad name.

It's the same problem all gun owners have. A thousand guns owners act responsibly, one moron shoots up a Wal*Mart, everyone gets frightened, and new gun laws get passed.

Proof that no matter how many ethical and responsible hunters there are, just one jerk in a hundred gives all the rest a bad name.

It's the same problem all gun owners have. A thousand guns owners act responsibly, one moron shoots up a Wal*Mart, everyone gets frightened, and new gun laws get passed.

jnormanh,

Did I miss something but I don't understand what your post has to do with this thread?????????? Did you post it to the wrong one?

Well it looks like I will be hunting by myself as no one else can make it this year, well there still is a chance that one of my hunting buddys might be able to make it but it does not look promising anyway looks like I will be hunting North of Pierre where I will be staying at the outpost lodge. I was wondering how the weather has been like there, has it been raining there if so is it still pretty wet or drying up also is any of the corn out or have they even started. And has anyone hunted anywhere in the area, if so how was it. I am not asking where you hunted exactly as there is enough walk in area for me to try, just wondering how the hunting is there before I make my reservations for one of the cabins there at the outpost lodge.
I would appreciate any info anyone might want to share.
Hope all have a safe and enjoyable hunt.
copheasanthunter

uncle Buck
I plan on leaving here, colorado springs, on the 15th of November and will be hunting starting the next day. Still aiting too hear from one friend in Indiana, he just retired from the military as I am , he got a job at the Bass Pro Shop in Indiana and his boss said he could go hunt if he could get the guys to cover his hours and so far he has not had any luck. He is suppose to call me today.

well my buddy called me and told me he is still working on getting off, if he can not I will be hunting around Pierre, if he can his dad and a friend of ours who is still in the military is coming with him and we will be hunting in Leola Kind of makes it hard as I do not know how to plan, hopefully in the next day or two I might know something.:confused:.

Back