NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Add 1.04 to the 1.3 we had earlier in the weekend and the math is 2.34. Good way to jump into the hot month of July!

Another 0.45"

still haven't seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches or turkey hatches, just pheasant and quail at the moment.

Farmers are having to go down low to pick up the remaining wheat that was laid down with blowing rain. Harvest is nearly over, but going really slow for what is remaining to be cut.

How's the wheat harvest going? As far as yield? SEK was pretty good. have you heard about any broods seen during harvest? Sorry for all the questions, but the fourth of July is over, time too start thinking about fall!!

Maynard, look what I ran into while getting some aroma therapy today.
IMG_3262_zps9qlyf7at.jpg

How's the wheat harvest going? As far as yield? SEK was pretty good. have you heard about any broods seen during harvest? Sorry for all the questions, but the fourth of July is over, time too start thinking about fall!!

Good news and bad news and more bad news on wheat harvest. Some enjoyed record high yields. Bad news is the price isn't good and likely to see LDP come back into play. Some farmers haven't caught the good luck but only the bad and have battled wet conditions and some still are battling wet fields and some fields completely on the ground from driven rain.

I haven't talked to many harvesters but what I have heard was just so so on broods in the wheat. I have been seeing a few on the roads adjacent to cut fields.

Good news for Kansas producers is that they will likely harvest a record wheat crop this year, bad news is that high yields normally correlate with low protein. Flour mills need min 11.5% pro to make bread flour and the KS crop looks to be 11.4 to 11.6 avg pro with lots of 10% pro wheat out there that is worth .75 to 1.00 per bu less than 12 pro. Sub 11 pro wheat bid to farmer in western KS is around $3 per bu, based on a 50 bu avg KS yield, that's $150 per acre revenue. Probably not a lot of new tractors going to be bought based on those economics.

Another 1.75" at the Ponderosa last Friday(July 15,2016) while I was gone to South Dakota and Nebraska.

Came through Oberlin on the way back and saw a lot of dryland corn, much with a fantastic ear set along with a few fields that weren't so good. Overall the dryland corn there looked very good.

Back in Ford County I was seeing fields of dryland milo that was popping heads. Finally most of the wheat laying on the ground from driven rains has been cut.

Crop conditions and moisture have been good so hopefully we will see additional rebound in the bird populations.

Last edited:
Two large farmers that I know just finished wheat harvest. It took a total of six weeks from start to finish. The extended time was caused by rains and some complete fields of wheat that was flat on the ground from driven rains.

I guess I just dodged a tornado within about 3 miles. Didn't see a thing through the 15-20 minutes of 50 mph wind and 2-3 inch hail. DIDN'T NEED THAT! Received 1.68 inches of rain in 20-30 minutes. Guess what, gutters were plugged.

I guess I just dodged a tornado within about 3 miles. Didn't see a thing through the 15-20 minutes of 50 mph wind and 2-3 inch hail. DIDN'T NEED THAT! Received 1.68 inches of rain in 20-30 minutes. Guess what, gutters were plugged.

Sorry to hear that. I heard there were storms down that way.

Bleu,

You know how to do it. Man I wish I could be in elk camp this fall, but I don't see any way at the moment. Glad I took my blood pressure medicine prior to seeing this.

:10sign:

The current total is 1.68 plus .39 plus .80. 2.87 is a pretty good total for the last week of July! Wish it all had come liquid.

Evening comes to the Ponderosa and I thought I would share a few of the experiences of the evening.

Nice brood

IMG_8669-002_zps3oqhdgpy.jpg

And close by a guy looking for dinner

IMG_8671_zpshiigu2m1.jpg

The flush I thought earlier in the year to be Illinois bundle flower is actually partridge pea. It is really coming on in several places this year. And thanks to a friend that provided some old seed many years ago. It has taken awhile, but it is doing good now.

IMG_8673_zpsesf0iwrz.jpg

Continued on next page

Last edited:
Back