New England/Regent/Mott area

PairOfLabs

I've been invited to hunt on a friend's property near Regent, ND. Several of us from the Denver area would head up there to hunt a couple of days with my friend and then several more days of public land hunting. I've been reviewing the plots atlas.

Can any of you offer any advice on dog friendly lodging in this area? Hotels appear pretty scarce. I've got a few leads about locals renting out space from my friend. Any reviews of The Pheasant Manor or Mott Motel in Mott, Ponderosa in Hettinger, Enchanted Castle in Regent, Long Branch Lodging in New England?
Thanks,
Tom

I've been invited to hunt on a friend's property near Regent, ND. Several of us from the Denver area would head up there to hunt a couple of days with my friend and then several more days of public land hunting. I've been reviewing the plots atlas.

Can any of you offer any advice on dog friendly lodging in this area? Hotels appear pretty scarce. I've got a few leads about locals renting out space from my friend. Any reviews of The Pheasant Manor or Mott Motel in Mott, Ponderosa in Hettinger, Enchanted Castle in Regent, Long Branch Lodging in New England?
Thanks,
Tom

it might be tuff to get a spot for this year this late.

I have stayed at the enchanted castle, it is a great place! It is a converted school. They have a restaurant on site, hot tubs, even a gymnasium! The dogs stay in the old school he has a heated area with kennels etc. Nice place to stay and I recommend it highly!

I have stayed at the enchanted castle, it is a great place! It is a converted school. They have a restaurant on site, hot tubs, even a gymnasium! The dogs stay in the old school he has a heated area with kennels etc. Nice place to stay and I recommend it highly!

I saw an episode of the flush. and I think he converted a school. kinda nice to have the school not being wasted.

depending on dates, I may have a house booked that I need to let go in Hettinger. I can't make it. Shoot me a PM. I will put you in touch with the owner.

I stayed one night at the Mott Hotel but that was about 5 years ago. Did the job. You can always look into Tailfeather inn. Have been inside but never stayed there.

The castle is good. Drawback is there isn't a place to clean birds. Tail feathers Inn in Mott is another place to look into.

prairie vista b and b- Regent, N.D.

hi she has a 8 or 9 bedroom b and b. heated shop for crated dogs... nice great room for watching tv or enjoying your own beverages... excellent breakfasts, and in my opinon better than the motel scene... for about the same money!
Don't wear your boots INDOORS! she has a web site, easy google!
often times she is booked, but cancellations occur.. it gets quiet in early Nov.

Thanks,
Tom

We stayed at the Pheasant Manor last year and will be again next weekend. Worked great for our group of eight guys. Converted apartment complex where they had just put a door in between two old units. Had two full kitchens and all amenities, and was $40 a night, per guy. We booked our rooms last year when we checked out, though, so not sure of their availability. As long as we keep heading to Mott, we'll be staying there.

Mott Motel and The Enchanted Castle

We have stayed at both the Mott Motel and the Castle. As someone stated earlier there isn't a place to clean birds or freeze them at the Castle. We have access to the old farm house on the land we hunt and several guys stay there so we clean the birds and freeze them there. One thing we did like about staying at the Mott Motel was that the dogs could stay in the room with you. That is not allowed at the Castle but as stated they do have an area where you can set up a kennel for your dog. We elect to just let the dogs stay in the trailer now. It is roomy and the dogs are plenty comfortable in it. As stated the Castle is an old school that has been re-purposed. We like staying at the Castel as the rooms are very spacious and nice with small kitchenette with micro and fridge. As we hunt west of Regent the Castle is also much closer than when we stayed in Mott. Depending on the dates you are going it may be tough to find a place at this time. Good Luck!!

not trying to be a debbie downer

hi we are going in Nov. which we do annually. I contacted a local friend, who trains bird dogs in that area. So SHE is out every day, she feels the population in that area is down from last year, she stated maybe 30%???? .... I guess I would rather be surprised based on low expectations, that disappointed on GREAT expectations.. However good habitat will always hold survivors and a population. good hunting.

Drought and when it did rain in some areas ... the rain was hail :eek:. Population there starts with such a high base line ... you should be fine.

Mott/Regent Area

Thanks for all the responses guys. Despite the late planning, the trip is "on" for two of us with one of my two labs and his wirehair. We got perhaps the last room at the Mott Motel for the week of Nov. 13. I talked with Enchanted Castle, Tailfeathers, and Prairie Vista, and some of the hunting/lodging outfitters to help get a feel for the area. Most of those were full for that week but even if not, we liked the Mott for letting us have our dogs in the room. That's typically how we try to work it. A bigger group staying in a house would be nice, too.

Since I'll be hunting in the Winner, SD area the last week of Oct. it will be interesting to see how the two areas compare. My Denver PF buddy and I are looking at this as an "exploratory" trip as a prelude for perhaps a 4 person trip next year.

Thanks again,
Tom

Leaving for Mott at 5:00 on Thursday morning....anyone out there have an update on how harvest is progressing? I'm assuming soybeans are nearing completion, but still a lot of standing corn? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey guys, just to close a loop---
The day after I made this post on 10/16 saying I had the trip set up I took my two labs to the local off-leash park with my mtn bike to get them some running work. I had a little mishap due to dip in the trail, fell and broke my upper leg-bone near the hip joint. My first ambulance ride, emergency surgery, and a titanium rod and lag bolt followed that evening. I cancelled the trip and will be getting my hunting fix vicariously through your reports of your exploits this season. My current retired life is centered around physical therapy with a slim hope that I might be able to go out the last week of January.

Thanks again for all your advice. I'm going to try to recreate the trip next year.
Tom

Sorry to hear that, Tom. I bet that your dogs are sorry, too. Take care to follow the advice of your therapist so that you will be able to hunt with your dogs for many years to come.:)

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are making a good recovery, probably not as quick as you would like. Have a Happy Holidays!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully you will recover to be better than before. I wish I had some great recent hunting tale to tell you but its been all work and little play here!

regent mott

I am already excited to go back, we will have to share intel on the area next fall. heal fast, merry christmas

Now that I did the homework(unfulfilled) I plan to restart the trip next year and get a little earlier headstart on it.

I don't think I heal quite as quickly at 65 as when younger. I'm at the 9 week mark from the broken leg repair surgery and going to physical therapy 3 days a week, plus home exercises. I set a new post-break record yesterday with a 1.5 mile walk around the neighborhood with my crutch. I'm transitioning from 50% to 100% weight-bearing as tolerated but the leg is still very weak. I just take it one day at a time and try not to look too far ahead.
Tom

Back