Natural habitat

SDJIM

Habitat project flooded out this spring so I let it go and here is the result. It is 32 acres more just like this.

Oh boy! Looks great, I can't wait to see it in person.:cheers:

I would say that is the definition of early succession habitat! Should be an insect/brood producing mecca!

Sometimes you just can beat what mother natures produces on the landscape, that looks like great habitat.

Yep just a good old South Dakota weed patch--:thumbsup:-- a week ago I put up 1 rooster and then 2 hens followed by 16 chicks of 2 different sizes and saw 4+ other chicks run and not fly all in about 50 yards. It is full of hopers and other insects and lots of sunflowers and thistle and many other weeds I do not know what most of them are. :D

When I was young my dad just loved to find places like this and always found birds, this patch is rather large say about 30 to 40 acres with corn and milo near by and will be a challenge to hunt. :cheers:

OH and it has a small pond on it to

Last edited:
Well SDJim, if you need an extra body and dog power to surround the roosters in that weed patch just give a 15 hour heads up and i'll head west.....:thumbsup:

Just signed up another 18.66 acres for CP-18 Saline reduction to be planted this fall. :D

Last edited:
Looks awesome Jim. I have been gone a while. Working out of town an hr away. Plus took out 70 or so Ash trees and replanted 5' high techny hedge rows for wind break and winter cover. I am over grown with spruce I planted 15 years ago, so I will be renting a tree spade this fall and moving a bunch of those to other areas on the place too. My grass is awesome this year as well. I will have to take some photos. Great job, enjoy your fall. :10sign::coolpics:

Talk about fast service, as noted yesterday I signed the paper work for 18.6 acres of CP-18, this was around noon and today about 10 am the survey people showed and marked the ground then the NRCS showed up and planted it. Paperwork to seed in the ground in 32 hrs ----WOW :eek:

Sure wish the rest of our government was as efficient.:D

Last edited:
Talk about fast service, as noted yesterday I signed the paper work for 18.6 acres of CP-18, this was around noon and today about 10 am the survey people showed and marked the ground then the NRCS showed up and planted it. Paperwork to seed in the ground in 32 hrs ----WOW :eek:

Sure wish the rest of our government was as efficient.:D

Pretty dang sweet. What was your group prep like? Nick and Co. plant it for you.

Tells me they were pretty light on projects ah course they are not too busy this time of year.

Bad spring for trying to get trees in the ground.

NRCS was in my area planting the same type projects and was able to do mine also. They have a bunch of other plantings for latter in the fall--like November and I have one of those to be done also.

Planted into a harvested winter wheat field that had been disked.

I hope to get more tress planted next spring and hope the small lake that was there last spring does not reappear

It is very true like you said " Quality Pheasant Habitat is very expensive." and a lot of hard work, but worth every penny and every drop of sweat. :)

Last edited:
Hey Jim. Saw a big hail storm passing through your area, hope it missed all that pretty, new habitat.

Back