Nasty Dakota's Weather

UGUIDE

Wow! Of all the storms that have hit this winter I think this latest one takes the cake. 60 MPH winds in the Black Hills, Blizzard and a foot of snow forecast. I-90 and I-94 shut down. Red River Valley ready to break 1897 flood level record. Bonus is most of eastern side of states precip is rain so that should take down rest of snow. Some areas may be catching ice which is a concern. Still, my money is on the birds. They are survivors.

Just came back from SoDak. I seen 100s and 100s of birds in my area. If we have a good hatch, warm dry weather and a lot of grasshoppers for a good protein intake for the young chicks,. I think we are looking at a bumper crop on new birds.

Not so all over though, I was up in the Miller, highmore area and we didn't see very many birds around there.

I hear ya.

Almost the entire state of North Dakota is under a Flood watch/warning. Ice jams on the Missouri near Bismarck have resulted in hundreds of residents in the west side low lying areas to evacuate their homes. Heck even in Mott which just got another big dump of snow, the Cannonball river has overflowed it's banks prompting 7 families to evacuate. I don't think I can remember a time when that happened. Mother nature just won't give the Dakota's a break.:(

We're having some flooding problems. Not real serious yet but I think there is more water to come down out of North Dakota. And we are bracing for a blizzard to start this evening and continue through Tuesday. The latest weather service report is saying we could get any where from 7-16 inches of snow with winds 25-37 mph. No doubt that will make the flooding worse and won't be good for the birds either. I'll keep you posted.

Don't give up on your hunt just yet. We had a tough winter but it appears the birds have survived quite well to this point. They have now had a chance to get to food and rebuild some strength so this storm shouldn't hurt them too bad. And the flooding at this time will have no negative effect on them as they are a couple months from nesting. Let's just hope for good nesting conditions and a good hatch. I anticipate '09 to be a very good year.

Don't give up on your hunt just yet. We had a tough winter but it appears the birds have survived quite well to this point. They have now had a chance to get to food and rebuild some strength so this storm shouldn't hurt them too bad. And the flooding at this time will have no negative effect on them as they are a couple months from nesting. Let's just hope for good nesting conditions and a good hatch. I anticipate '09 to be a very good year.

I agree with DakotaZeb,

A big storm does not mean "bad for birds". Keep in mind SD is home to the prairie blizzard and has been for always. With a big storm comes big moisture which in an arrid state is critical. The main thing to watch out for in a spring blizzard is the ice factor. That will kill birds if it can suffocate them. Otherwise, abundant moisture means abundant nesting cover, especially in areas like pastures and other non-crop fallow areas.

For sure the snow will not last long and sometimes better to get as snow rather than rain since runoff is slower.

These storms will also delay spring farming activities.

Looking back in history, 1962 was one of the worst winters for snow in SD and the Fall pheasant population was very good.

We got about 12" of wet heavy snow here in Aberdeen. Plus we had winds in the 30-40 mph range. Wind is still blowing about 24 mph with gusts to 31 mph. Pretty much shut the city down today. Hopefully this is all of it.

Back