My biggest rooster to date

crockett

My buddy's golden flushed a flock of birds yesterday evening and I saw this one come out in the middle of the bunch. I could tell right away he was a big one. My biggest pheasant to date. His longest tailfeather was 26.5" long (tip to tip) and the spurs were 5/8". Don't know how this compares to other parts of North America, but in Nova Scotia, this is a monster!

Very cool Crockett. That one stacks up against any rooster around I imagine. I shoot some old hook spurs every year but never any with tail feathers that long.:cheers:

My buddy's golden flushed a flock of birds yesterday evening and I saw this one come out in the middle of the bunch. I could tell right away he was a big one. My biggest pheasant to date. His longest tailfeather was 26.5" long (tip to tip) and the spurs were 5/8". Don't know how this compares to other parts of North America, but in Nova Scotia, this is a monster!

That is definitely a bird of a lifetime. In my 30 years the biggest bird for me was 27" tail 3/4" spur. That was a wild bird from MN public land. That definitely stacks up against the best. Congrats!

I've seen bigger ones, just kidding that thing looks like a colored T-Rex with a huge tail. Awesome and congratulations.

That is a Mack-daddy rooster right there!! Super nice. Congrats to you on a true trophy!:thumbsup:

WOW, that's impressive! Good eye, picking out the boss rooster like that!:thumbsup:

Anything pushing 20" is worth some tailgate talk, so I would say 26 1/2" is a MONSTER for sure!

That thing is a beast. :thumbsup: 22 is the best for me this year.

Matches the longest tail I have seen in the wild, tho I have seen spurs approaching an inch. Anything over 24 is long.

That's a baby pterodactyl:eek:

I've heard of roosters where the tail is still on the ground when the bird's in the air but that's the first one I've ever seen! Awesome. :cheers: If I shot that it would be at the taxidermist's.

27 inch monster in Minnesota

Shot this monster during last week of season two years ago. Would have mounted it but it was so big it was ugly!!! Really a smart bird though, my dog flushed a rooster which I shot. Dog makes retrieve and immediately goes back to same spot goes on point and this big fella comes up cackling and mad!!! He was going to try and wait me out!!! My biggest ever true 27 inch tail with 7/8 inch spurs.

That would be a big one in Kansas. I assume that's a second year bird, not young of the year. At least that is what we think when we get one with long, pointed spurs.

Back