Must Haves?

Between hunting and fishing travel, I have learned to keep a running tote of kitchen/house supplies.....from utensils to garbage bags to dish soap to paper products to etc! It's a traveling tote that I know has probably more than we need in it, but depending on where we are and time of day, if where I am staying isn't fully stocked, I typically have it in that tote! LOL.
I do the same with a tote for the dog and his stuff, then one for dry goods/snacks.....to include all the fixings for a good Old Fashioned after the day (it's a Wisconsin thing!)
And a good, comfortable pair of slippers!

Between hunting and fishing travel, I have learned to keep a running tote of kitchen/house supplies.....from utensils to garbage bags to dish soap to paper products to etc! It's a traveling tote that I know has probably more than we need in it, but depending on where we are and time of day, if where I am staying isn't fully stocked, I typically have it in that tote! LOL.
I do the same with a tote for the dog and his stuff, then one for dry goods/snacks.....to include all the fixings for a good Old Fashioned after the day (it's a Wisconsin thing!)
To add to the tote thing... a tote full of tools in the truck! You never know what will be needed to fix something on the road or in camp. Tow chain/strap to yank someone or yourself out of a ditch or rut. Medical kits!

A "must have" for me on trips is a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat cover that's designed to snap onto the bucket and a few plastic bags. Nothing worse than being out in the prairie, without a tree in sight when nature calls. This prevents dumping mud near parking areas like Goose seems to love doing.
Not near,in.

Was going to post this as well. I always bring some beer for the boys (I might have 1) and my pre-made Old Fashioned mix with orange peels and Luxardo Cherries.

(Sorry, from WI and their version of an Old Fashioned sucks! too sweet, too little booze, and soda? Yuck! And bourbon or rye, not brandy.)

Northern Wisconsin that I’m familiar with it’s Manhattans, made with either Windsor or cheap brandy, cheap vermouth, and bright red Maraschino cherries!

I'm from Wisconsin....it's typically Whiskey Old Fashion Sour or Southern Comfort Old Fashion Sour for me......

Attachments

• Resized_20201107_193757.jpeg
    Resized_20201107_193757.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 3
Back in the days when I tended bar for our family’s Supper Club, Old Fashioned was the house specialty. Brandy 90%, SC 6% Bourbon 4%
This is NW Wi. Usually seltzer or sweet, muddled, never shortcut syrup. 1964 it was Friday night fish fry (Walleye and Shrimp) AYCE with fries, coleslaw and toast. From an original menu, $1.25 yep $1.25. Those were the great old days.

Agreed. A better one is the tart cherry manhattan - 2 parts Makers Mark, 1 part Carpano Antica vermouth, 1 part Tattersall Sour Cherry, and a dropper full of Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla bitters. A local bartender came up with this one, quite tasty.

I'm from WI. It's a real Old Fashioned or Manhattan for me. Good booze, no syrup, soda, muddling, mixer, etc.

An Old Fashioned is Whiskey, Bitters, a little of the cherry juice with a couple cherries (Luxardo or similar) and orange peel.
A Manhattan is made just like a Martini, but with Whiskey, dark vermouth (good stuff like) bitters if you like them and I like with an olive but cherry is acceptable.

I tend to carry way to much stuff because I’m a “what if” kind of guy but most of what I carry has came in handy for me or some people I’ve met while out and about. I have a compartment on top of my dog box that a lot of it stays in and a soft cooler holds a bunch of stuff in the back seat of my pickup.

Small portable air compressor, used to air up tires to get to a repair shop.
NOCO Booster box and battery cables.
Tow strap, a couple log chains and shackles.
GI trenching tool and avalanche snow shovel.
Small assortment of tools that allow me to fix minor things.

This is in addition to all the other stuff that I carry to make my live a little easier while on the road!

An extra set of truck keys in my vest. I lost my main keys in an Iowa field once and my extra set were back in the motel room......about 30 miles away. Fortunately, it was a small field and I had a long lanyard on them and found them. Lesson learned though.

An extra set of truck keys in my vest. I lost my main keys in an Iowa field once and my extra set were back in the motel room......about 30 miles away. Fortunately, it was a small field and I had a long lanyard on them and found them. Lesson learned though.

This is an advantage for Ford here. With a keycode on the door, I don't even carry my keys when I hunt anymore. I just leave them in the glove box and use the keycode to open the door when I return from the hunt.

I’ve always carried a spare set hidden in my dog box. When I tried that with my new Ram it had the proximity feature activated with the fob. The spare fob was too close so anyone could unlock the truck by grabbing the door handle. It took me a while to figure out how to deactivate that!

Back