Must Haves?

I tend to carry way to much stuff because I’m a “what if” kind of guy but most of what I carry has came in handy for me or some people I’ve met while out and about. I have a compartment on top of my dog box that a lot of it stays in and a soft cooler holds a bunch of stuff in the back seat of my pickup.

Small portable air compressor, used to air up tires to get to a repair shop.
NOCO Booster box and battery cables.
Tow strap, a couple log chains and shackles.
GI trenching tool and avalanche snow shovel.
Small assortment of tools that allow me to fix minor things.

This is in addition to all the other stuff that I carry to make my live a little easier while on the road!
Good list. In addition to the list above, I add the following:
  1. Dog first aid - both essentials in the field and a bigger kit for the truck
  2. Tweezer kit - different sizes and styles for plucking things out of paws, noses, gums, etc.
  3. Headlamps w/ extra batteries - far easier than using a handheld flashlight
  4. 18v Ryobi compressor (in addition to the 12v) for quick use
  5. Tire plug kit - has saved me a few times
  6. 4-way lug wrench - it's far better than the factory Ford lug wrench
  7. Human first aid kit
  8. Disposable hand and toe warmers
  9. Dog grooming gear for removing burs, seeds, etc.
  10. Skouts Honor for dealing with a skunked dog - waaaay better than the peroxide, etc. homemade solution. It's legit and I travel with 2 bottles of it. I also bring a spray bottle for easy application. Long kitchen gloves are good to have when dealing with a skunked dog too.
  11. Gun cleaning kit w/ tools and various cleaners/lubes
  12. Backup gun - if I've driven 4-10 hrs to hunt and a gun goes down, a backup is invaluable
  13. Gear repair kit including gear repair tape, extra buckles, cord locks, etc.
  14. Dog towels - ~6 towels that we just don't care about and are used exclusively for dogs and dog messes of all kinds
  15. Small brush/dustpan set for brushing out the truck cab and bed as necessary
  16. Food, booze, and mixers - I like to support the local economies where I hunt but sometimes the cost of buying local is outrageous
  17. Drink cooler/food cooler
  18. Garmin In-Reach - just in case
  19. Food Saver + bags
  20. Espresso machine - bad coffee sucks. Plus, it fits in a cardboard banker's box so it's portable and 100% worth its weight
  21. Dog leashes
  22. Poop bags for those times when it needs to be picked up
  23. DeLorme Gazetteers for the states I'll be hunting and driving through
  24. List of local vets with phone numbers and addresses, especially the emergency vet so I'm not scrambling if something happens
  25. A good daypack in the event a truck gets stuck or breaks down and you have to hoof it to get help
  26. 4-5 quality water bottles (Nalgene); 1-2 gallons of extra water
  27. Laundry detergent - it sucks to have to buy on the road and it's easy to stash in the truck
  28. Extra e-collar for the dogs just in case one goes down, which has happened to me twice (Dogtra :mad:)

Last edited:
Tire chains,tow chain,high lift jack,tool chest,my pillows,comfortable slippers,cabelas socks, hip boots,duck calls, field camo.I don't wear any orange.

Back