Moving to Kansas City area- Help

Naw, it's ok to pee outside in Shawnee. Just choose your spot and time carefully.

Welcome to Shawnee, maximus1. It's a nice town and you're not too far from the country or the city. Shawnee Mission Park is close by where you can scratch your outdoors itch pretty easily. Has an off-leash area for dogs, if that's your thing.

Well M.R. Byrd I think you are probably right. Maybe under the cover of night.

Ness, I have been there a few times and it seems like a very nice place. My wife said there was a large park directly behind us and another park close by where you can have dogs off leash. Not really my thing but I imagine the dogs would like it. I haven't been to the place she found so I hope it's easy access to the country. I appreciate your welcome.

Again, thanks everyone

Terry

Naw, it's ok to pee outside in Shawnee. Just choose your spot and time carefully.

Welcome to Shawnee, maximus1. It's a nice town and you're not too far from the country or the city. Shawnee Mission Park is close by where you can scratch your outdoors itch pretty easily. Has an off-leash area for dogs, if that's your thing.

They also have a nice bow range that I shoot at often too. I live just east of you in OP by the dreaded Oak Park Mall:eek:

Welcome to the hood:thumbsup:

Kick'em Up

Good to hear you found a place. The bow range is nice, just don't do anything in the park without the proper permit. I've seen too many people get a ticket that is twice the cost of the permit. I'm your neighbor also, I'm just off 79th in Lenexa.

They also have a nice bow range that I shoot at often too. I live just east of you in OP by the dreaded Oak Park Mall:eek:

Welcome to the hood:thumbsup:

Kick'em Up

When I was a kid growing up, the oak park mall site was a huge grassland. We fished in the lakes there and when old enough, worked the dogs on birds there. ( there were a couple big covies that called it home). Even after the mall was built, a covey lived where the townhouses are ( east of the mall). We trained the dogs on it for years till about 1978 or so when of course they disappeared. When I was 14 or so I got in trouble for setting the field on fire with fireworks. Parents paid 25k for the house on bluejacket in 66. It was the last house south.

Well M.R. Byrd I think you are probably right. Maybe under the cover of night.

Ness, I have been there a few times and it seems like a very nice place. My wife said there was a large park directly behind us and another park close by where you can have dogs off leash. Not really my thing but I imagine the dogs would like it. I haven't been to the place she found so I hope it's easy access to the country. I appreciate your welcome.

Again, thanks everyone

Terry
Yeah, there's pros and cons to the off leash area. If you go out there on a nice day, it will be overrun with people and dogs. It's pretty rare in my experience, but there are some dogs/owners that just shouldn't be out there. If you hit it on a cold day, only the die hards are out there. It's a pretty good way to let the dogs run -- I don't have anything close by to let them run on. I generally loop around the trail rather than go right down the middle like 90% of the folks do.

I am not sure how my 4 yr old male GSP (Luke) would do around a bunch of strange dogs. Other than the typical stiff legged dance around other male dogs when hunting or the nose up a females arse when first introduced I've never had a problem. Small dogs I'm not to sure of since he hasn't been around any other than strays that venture into his yard.
About 3 months ago the neighbors (1 block away) little Jack Russel mixed mexican breed started coming into my yard 2-3 times a day and pi$$ing on the dog kennel and barking at my dogs. This really chapped both mine and the dogs a$$. This went on for 5-6 weeks and I chased the little mutt out of the yard several times during which he would turn and run at me barking all the way. Well one day just as I was pulling into my driveway I see him (mutt) shoot past the garage at a dead run and heard my wife hollering at Luke who is in hot pusuit. We have 100 ft. cable runs to put the dogs on and my wife did not see the little mutt coming into the back yard behind her but Luke did. Usually he comes out of the kennel nice and polite and stands there while he gets hooked up. Not this time, he saw his chance and caught him across the street and snatched him up like a burrito, tossed him in the air, caught him and pinned his little a$$ to the ground. Little dog is yowling like he is getting killed. I run over and grab Luke, he lets go, burrito takes off running for home, and I head back home. Here comes the neighbor screaming about my dog trying to kill his mutt. We (mostly me) have a few choice words and the neighbor and his dog both go home with their tails between their legs. The mutt still comes down but stays on the other side of the street. No mutts injured in this story.
I think it was a territorial issue but will proceed with introductions to small dogs with caution and leash. Maybe he considers small dogs as prey as he really hasn't been around them.

Good to hear you found a place. The bow range is nice, just don't do anything in the park without the proper permit. I've seen too many people get a ticket that is twice the cost of the permit. I'm your neighbor also, I'm just off 79th in Lenexa.

I think the place we have is just off 67th in Shawnee, close to Shawnee Mission Parkway and Johnson Rd. I will have a better idea this weekend. Do you ever go to Jakes Place in Shawnee?:cheers:

Back