Moving to Kansas City area- Help

maximus1

My wife and I are moving to the KC area possibly in the Shawnee or Lenexa area depending on where I find a job. My wife lost her brother last Thanksgiving and wants to move closer to family and so do I.

We just put our home up for sale and have several folks interested so it's now time to prepare for the next step. My main concern now is if I have to rent a house until I buy one what to do with my dogs (2). Most people do not like to rent to dog owners. I do not want to sign a lease because I plan to buy a house as quick as I can. Know any one with a house for sale?

My dogs are kennel dogs not house dogs. Anyone know a good place to board them-my wife says no way is she doing that- if it comes to that.

If anyone can give me any info on good areas to relocate to I sure would appreciate it or can help me in any way-please PM me

I have been a carpenter since the 70's and prefer trim carpentry so if anyone knows of someone looking to hire please let me know. I ran my own remodel business for 18 years and have a wide variety of building and repair skills.

Well Welcome:cheers:,

I actually live in Overland Park by Oak Park Mall not far from Lenexa. There are a lot of homes for sale there and places you can kennel your dogs. Lenexa/ Shawnee is a good area and close to major highways. If you need additional info on the area PM me. I will be happy to help!

Hit me up when you get to town. I have many contacts in the construction fields, specifically remodeling and homebuilding. I could probably steer you in a direction or two. As far as housing goes, although most of our stuff is on the Missouri side we do occasionaly get a home in Kansas. Don't happen to be a vet do you? I have a couple of great opportunities for vets. Keep in touch as time gets closer.

Location is depending on employment and availability. I am open to suggestions and any employment or housing suggestions from you all will be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to meeting you all and maybe even having a cold one.
Carpton 1 any info on employment will be greatly appreciated. It always helps to have a direction when seeking employment. I have my resume ready and will start sending them out shortly.
Please keep in touch and will give you my ph# if you would like.:cheers:

I too live in Lenexa and work in OP. You shouldn't have any problems finding a house to buy there are plenty for sale, but if you want to have an outdoor kennel make sure the neighborhood allows it. Many of the Johnson County homes associations don't allow detached structures, but a full back yard of jungle gyms is ok :confused:. As far as work goes you should be able to find something with your skill set, heck a reasonably priced handyman on his own could do quite well. I am an architect and have contacts with many of the commercial contractors in town. Good luck with the move and we'll help where we can.

My one and only peice of advice would be to find a home that's not in Johnson or Wyandotte counties. Move away from the city or perhaps even over into Missouri. You don't have to go far to get out of those counties and your still an easy drive into the KC area.

My one and only peice of advice would be to find a home that's not in Johnson or Wyandotte counties. Move away from the city or perhaps even over into Missouri. You don't have to go far to get out of those counties and your still an easy drive into the KC area.

I would tend to agree, I grew up in Johnson county. Too many rules for a border line redneck such as myself. Taxes are too high in Wyandotte. I live in Leavenworth now. As duck said, I work in kcmo it takes me 25 minutes to get to work. One of the guys here lives in south OP and it takes him just as long with traffic. You can find a nice home on 3-5 acres out here pretty reasonable. You will pay the same for the house and no land in johnson county.

Ps I have two dog kennels, and like 5 cars, 2 boats, and a couple of trailers at my house. ( I picked the toilet and bathtub out of the yard a couple weeks ago):)

Thank you all for the info. Not sure exactly where you all are talking about but am researching areas other than Johnson and Wyandotte counties.

Please keep the info coming, I sure do appreciate it and need it.

I do not like housing associations and can not abide by constrictive regulations. I need an area that allows a kennel building/workshop or similar setup.
Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you all.

You may also consider northern Miami Co; Louisburg, Hillsdale, Spring Hill. I grew up in this area. Just south of the city, little more rural, and not a bad drive.

Sounds like you have some good contacts. If nothing works out, shoot me a PM. My oldest son is an Architectural Engineer in KC and has contacts with contractors there.

Thank you M.R.Byrd. I will keep that in mind and appreciate your help.
Also thank you all for the info on areas to consider for buying a home. My wife was on the computer checking out these areas last night and we will hopefully be making a trip to KC area in a couple of weeks to check things out.
My thanks to Rich and Tom for calling me, I really enjoyed talking to you both.

Sorry Jim I didn't mean to leave you out and I appreciate you calling me about your home for sale. I enjoyed talking to all you guys, you have all been very helpful.
Please everyone keep the info coming.

This is a great board. Very helpful folks on here.
Planning a trip to KC labor day weekend, heading there Thursday morning, to check out some of the areas you helpful folks have suggested. Really looking forward to a road trip and a little R&R time. :cheers:
Been spending all my time (and money) on the seemingly endless fixit list that comes with selling a home, one thing always leads to another.
Thanks for your help everyone and any new info is always appreciated.

Heading to KC next week to check out some of the Kansas areas.
Anyone have suggestions for the Missouri side of KC?

Back