Moving South

PTM

Got an invite from a breeder I bought my last dog from. Didn’t know what to expect but pheasant hunting in SD trumps ice fishing any day of the week. We joined a group around noon and had our 39 birds in about 3 hours. Private land not a lodge or preserve. All solid hunters, all well trained labs usually about 12 dogs in the field. I can’t describe how epic it was but it was indeed epic.
5FDF0D94-DC13-4D42-8026-16B00007902C.jpeg9FAEF8B9-F7C6-4649-A5CF-2EB389F6F867.jpeg7C75E3B1-E75C-42E8-A71E-FF1BB1B05BCB.jpegE0F3846B-2FFE-481A-B9C9-05D1ECEA516A.jpeg

Good Show!!! Those pictures are beautiful (along with the subject matter!).

Lucky Dog!

Best,

Greg

Reactions: PTM
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like a great hunt!

What’s the story on that dog trailer, who was the manufacturer?

Looks like a great hunt!

What’s the story on that dog trailer, who was the manufacturer?
The dog trailer I believe was made by elite aluminum that went out of business, I like the tandem axle, I asked the owner to give me a crack on buying it when he gets out of hunting/breeding labs.

Day 2
Not quite as fast and furious but still stacked some birds and saw some big groups. Everybody ran a dog and nobody’s dog did anything crazy, birds were holding well on the last walk, lent to some good dog work.6E2821DA-78BD-46A6-8FC6-D27510EB32F5.jpeg6D7D1F73-B179-4A20-A1D2-0B76163D0ED7.jpeg3FB83E51-32C2-4260-B7B4-2C622FE7D105.jpeg22320C20-7727-4BE6-A3EC-C052346586D1.jpeg0EFA6E30-CE96-4818-A49D-BD4BD45BD614.jpegA8F4E23C-1B89-49F3-BDE6-9F77DC30A78E.jpeg3E720A71-08A1-470C-8532-DE753ADFC62D.jpeg

Looks like the experience of a lifetime! Those are some great photos.

Well done, nice pics. 13 hunters and 12 dogs, that is an army! Must had a huge parcel to hunt...it was Soth Dakota, so that is likely the normal on the west side.

several times over the past few years I got in on a last weekend hunt...20 guys, many dogs...always turned out to be a pretty quick 60 bird hunt....birds really bunched up in a few areas that this guy owned...impressive #'s of birds. I was hoping to not get invited this year, which hasn't happened yet...not sure what they will do with the new extended season...I have gotten very spoiled the last few seasons, I have scaled down my group sizes...this year I hunted with just one other guy all season with the exception of about 4 days....out of about 36 days afield in SD...too much waiting around, then too much urgency! And having to follow the tempo of the line, which is hard to do when the dog gets birdy, and the birds are holding tight...or, a downed bird takes 5 or 10 minutes...I understand the need for the groups in many scenarios....glad to be able to hunt at my own pace and not have to think about the whereabouts of that many guys...sharptail hunting got me spoiled that way, and it has carried over to my pheasant hunting...fewer flushes and/or shots is ok...I really enjoy the solo hunting, or, knowing that my partner is nearby, but also doing his own thing, which his gunshots remind me of.

also, with 3 dogs, I am always helping others who are under-dogged find downed birds...happy to do it, but again, rather be wandering solo...

Great pics. I have also become spoiled hunting with just one other person and that being the same person each day to where when someone did join for about an hour it became a PIA as they are not used to hunting the way we do and the frustration took the fun out of it. Now having said that this was the guy responsible for getting us on some new private so will put up with the frustration since already got an invite to come back next year and hunt again. 😁. Spent one day helping with a large group hunt and while the bird numbers were amazing and it is was fun in its own way I am glad to not have to do that every day for sure. As BB mentioned the frustrations of that setting versus relaxed and do what you want is no comparison.

Bet the dog work in the above group was awesome and that would be something to see for sure. Hope the rest of your hunt goes great.

yes, well said Matt...enjoy!!!! thanks for the photo essay....
I’d rather look at photos than read some poorly written yarn about pheasant hunting, quite frankly some guys like to throw the dog work out there as a casual jab, marking, retrieving downed/wounded bird, staying in range, coming back when called are just as important as flushing or pointing and in some ways require more training, but whatever I get it you guys have been there and done that with the big group thing, I haven’t been there enough times to say that in modern times. Back in my 20s we did it a lot. I’d go back anytime I could, you could tell that large group you don’t dig it anymore I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to take your place.

I’d rather look at photos than read some poorly written yarn about pheasant hunting, quite frankly some guys like to throw the dog work out there as a casual jab, marking, retrieving downed/wounded bird, staying in range, coming back when called are just as important as flushing or pointing and in some ways require more training, but whatever I get it you guys have been there and done that with the big group thing, I haven’t been there enough times to say that in modern times. Back in my 20s we did it a lot. I’d go back anytime I could, you could tell that large group you don’t dig it anymore I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to take your place.
You have an open acceptance from me! Anytime you want to invite me I’ll be there! I hunt Indiana where it is lean and tough.

Back