morels

Got to be close, do you have blacks in ks. They should be starting, Theres a few greys in somo. A guy at work had 4 small greys to show everybody yesterday. All I found was reds last night. I miss the blacks i used to get up north, even more flavorful I think. The only ones I've found here were in my yard and haven't seen one since I found those 23 morsels 6 or 8 years ago.

A buddy had the first ones of the year tgat I've seen posted on Facebook yesterday. Southeast Kansas.

I have checked a couple known spots since the rain, but nothing popping up here yet. We need more moisture here. All this wind is drying out the ground pretty fast, at least it seems that way to me.

went looking a little yesterday, but still to early. Did see some false morels, some folks can eat em, but I'm not going to try.
Cheesy, they are finding some a little south of me, so when the soil warms back up, should be good pickings around here. Hope we don't get to much rain, Wednesday and Thursday, ground looks just right, and I want to turkey hunt Wednesday, going to try the crossbow.
:cheers:

The ones he found were an hour west of you, beefsteaks and small grays. We looked yesterday and didn't find any, or shed antlers for that matter. Bone dry to the west. We are saturated where I moved to just south of Joplin. Need to walk down in my timber and see if anything can grow on rocks....Saw some turkey tracks back in Kansas, I'm taking next Thursday off to try for a long beard myself.

I didn't get out over the weekend or hear any reports from around here. Did see a guy in Branson, MO found some blacks. I've never found any myself. Getting a little rain today, but I won't be able to get out tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

found 41 yesterday afternoon just starting to pop. found all but 4 in one flush. looks like its going to be a bumper year

morel world, sek Going tomorrow after a early turkey hunt. should find a few. conditions are right. this could be a really good season

the rain has really sparked the morels, found 65 in about an hour this am, heading back out with the wife, so she can get her fill of ticks too!!

getting ready to head out, not so sure we will make it, storms are getting close. Nice find on the morels. we have been cleaning up over here, over 600 in the ladt three days, and thats only going for a couple hours at a time.

best morel season i have ever saw

So many of these rains have skipped past us here in Manhattan, but I've heard that people are finding them East of here. I've found one so far at my house. :laugh: But we got some nice heavy rains this weekend, so next week might be decent.:cheers:

We found quite a few little greys last week but nothing big yet. Really hope the rains over the weekend helped.

Almost anywhere but!

I have found them growing out of the gravel next to a railroad tie, and in a sand pit in AK. But in general I find them in river bottoms next to ash, or sycamore. Dying elm is one tree to look under, it always looks like a witches broom from a distance. I have found them in years in certain woods growing out of the moss that surrounds white oak trees. Loamy soil is best, anywhere you see lots of may apples, lady slippers, and jack in a pulpit growing. As much rain as you guys have had and the reports they should be thick. Dry here and that does not induce them to grow. I've found 23 and it's about over.

Back