Montefeltro fans

Gerald B

For the Montefeltro owners and fans. I am kicking the idea of the left hand 12 ga model. Wanted a lefty 20ga but they dropped that out of the line about 2 years ago. I am a natural lefty and have shot LH my entire life. Never bought myself a LH shotgun but have always wanted one. I have shot a 20ga that a friend of mine owns and like it. Question is, with this gun being very light, just how bad is the recoil from the 12ga if you stick with reasonable 2 3/4 loads. Not really wanting a gun that kicks so bad a follow up or second shot is not possible.
I am not blessed with well stocked shops around here to go try one and dont know anyone with a 12ga Montefeltro, so I have to rely on others real opinions.

I shoot 3" loads all the time for waterfowl and the recoil is nothing. They dampen remarkably well. Go for it, buy the gun

I won't shoot anything except a 2 3/4 inch load with my Monty. A 3 inch load has too much recoil for this guy because the shotgun itself is so light weight. If I want to shoot a 3 inch load at ducks, geese or turkeys, I use another shotgun than absorbs the recoil better.

Any thoughts toward the ultra light? Love mine, almost never carry my montefeltro anymore...

This shotgun intrigued me when it was introduced. Unfortunately, that was several years after I had already bought a monty so I wasn't about to ditch the monty and/or buy an ultralight too. I don't need 2 shotguns for one purpose.

I had a Montefeltro 12 ga. for several years and it was a great gun. No recoil issues but I ever shot any 3" shells in it. While I owned the Monte I won a Benelli Ultra Light 12 ga. Very nice gun and lighter than the Monte, but I much preferred the Monte so the UL went down the road. I'd probably still have the Monte if I hadn't gone to some 16 gauges.

I have a 12 and a 20 both ultra lite, the 20 with 3 inch shells is no problem but the 12 lets you know you have fired it. The best news is at the end of the day you are not as tired as usual from carrying a heavy gun. The ultra lite is more money but I think it is well worth the difference.

I have a BUL 12 and 20 and a Monte 12 and 20. I really like carrying the BUL’s, especially the 20 but I shoot the Monte’s better. I have shot 3” from the Monte 12 with a 28” barrel and it’s tolerable when hunting and you only shoot a few times at ducks or geese but a steady diet would be too much for me.
I saw a used left hand Monte in 20 at a gun shop the other day, don’t know what they wanted for it.

I have a BUL 12 and 20 and a Monte 12 and 20. I really like carrying the BUL’s, especially the 20 but I shoot the Monte’s better. I have shot 3” from the Monte 12 with a 28” barrel and it’s tolerable when hunting and you only shoot a few times at ducks or geese but a steady diet would be too much for me.
I saw a used left hand Monte in 20 at a gun shop the other day, don’t know what they wanted for it.
If I knew where the lefty 20 ga was, I would be trying to buy it yesterday.

I’m pretty sure it was in the Scheel’s store in Lincoln.

I normally prepare for pheasant season by shooting 4 or 5 rounds of trap or sporting clays with my Montefeltro. Recoil is not a problem. I use a 12ga.

Back