Missing GSP in SD

birdshooter

Follow link for more info.
I got advice to come here since they said theres alot of South Dakota hunters come here.

I missing my dog... hes a solid liver with white spots on his chest. hes a german shorthaired pointer. he IS microchipped. has a white claw on his right rear, and white marking on his paw on his left paw.

he is alittle over a year old now. has a green collar. if anyone seen this dog in pics below.. please take him to a rescue or vet so i can get him back..

he needs his medications!!!!!!!!!!!!

remingtonnewpic.jpg

S6300395.jpg

S6300394.jpg

S6300316.jpg

if you seen him or anything.. pls reply or send email to birdman652001@yahoo.com!!!

reward will be offered!!!! I need him back!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not my GSP, i was just cross posting a link from another site.

After reading further it would appear this dog has been missing since the 3rd week of the SD season. That's quite a long time, so It may be a moot point by now.

Very sad and unfortunate.

HI, Im the owner of this missing dog. I was told by an user from Gundogforum that he crossed it to here. So thought id check it out.

yah he is still missing, I know reality, i probably wont get him back.. he may be dead or alive in someone's house. that is probably the smartest dog i have ever owned. This dog had no flaws.

My first mistake was to get an ID on his collar. Even though, we do have some crooked hunters come to South Dakota and will take advantage of alot of things and items.. I used to be a deputy sheriff in my county and every season, i hear dogs go missing and i say 1-4% are found, in another hunter's truck heading to their own home.

in 1 case, i have found a dog was taken, and sold over the internet. he was found and served jail time for it.

I never thought it would happen to my dog. My dog does not wander more than 10 yards from me if im not around. he is that attached, sleeps in the bed, i could be sitting in my chair, he would not get up from laying next to me if the cat ran across the floor. he goes every where with me and is inseperatable. at night time, i kennel him espeically during the season, so in the morning, i let him out for his food, bathroom and stretch... and then usually hes free to roam in the house after hes had his bathroom break... but one morning.. i let him out, it was far from quiet bc he usually comes to the door when hes done, jumps on the door and usually gives a nice barking when hes done.

it was quiet. i even went out searching after 30 mins of wondering what the heck? not normal.. even a rabbit wouldnt catch his eye if im not around. i kid you not, hes that focused on his master.

so after combing a big area of just three houses around my farm house, he was gone.

i have come across quite a few road hunters scouting when i was looking for my dog, no where to be found. my dog has never run off like this before.

however he is very very very very and i mean VERY friendly dog. he loves everyone.

i know this sounds harsh, but i rather him passed away than to be an advantage for someone else. for one, hes pure bred german pointer, hes young and is very good at retrieving, pointing, and listens to commands well.

if hes still alive, i hope one day that person has to take my dog to the vet for a reason, and i hope the vets are smart enuf to scan his microchip and find the real owner.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post.

heres a pic of my dog and like mentioned above, he does jump on the door and bark when he wants in. you can see paw prints.

this was taken a week before he went missing.

I was out in the morning getting my truck warmed up and he was done with his bathroom break ready to go back in with me. I told him WHOA and posed this pic for me. otherwise he'd be next to me wanting in.

hes very good at WHOA.

remingtonnewpic.jpg

Makes me sick to know the empty heart you have right now. I have lost a dog before in this manner. Not knowing his or her fate is the toughest part. I believe he's alive but I would have to wonder if he went home with a road hunter who was passing by.

I hope you find him someday

Wishing the best of luck

It will be interesting if I see my dog running with a hunter when pheasant season comes... believe me, theres gonna be words exchanging.

At least theres the chip, that leaves hope if he shows up at a vet.

Yes I know. Im still holding on to that. I wished they had designed them to have GSP locators in them as well. 99% of our missing dogs would of been found if they had done such thing.

Maybe Ill get rich designing something like that and save a family memeber's dog a long heartache wondering what had happened.

I have thought about getting my springers chipped, but I figure if they are stolen, no one will ever scan them. I have never had a dog scanned at the vet.

I have thought that it might be a good idea to have my last name and a phone number tatooed on their belly. Ear tatoos (the number type) are probably rarely cross referrenced as well.

Any foolproof ideas?

Hard to say Jeff, same here. I have a dog with an ear tattoo, and a dog with chip, neither have been looked at while I was there anyway. But if they don't know you or can't vouch for you then they should take the 5 seconds to do it. But many do not I would say. I read somewhere that 20% of all dogs missing go home. If someone with integrity picks the dog up, then they may go ask for it to be scanned. The shady ones just don't take it in and give meds them self or not at all most likely. There should be a new fed law requiring all vets to scan a dog they don't know or all at least once till they can vouch for all of them. My guess is the pounds might but not sure on that one. Shelters should as well. More would find there way home.

Shelters always scan to see if they have a microchip bc most here in South Dakota, if its a dog that comes in with no information, they will scan and if he or she doesnt have it, they will mircochip the dog.

I shouldve invested in more by doing a microchip with a GPS in it. they do make it, but its expensive but if I had invested more, I wouldnt be posting this.

Most rescue or Shelters DO scan. most vets dont scan unless they are unsure that the owner's creditiblity of this dog owner...

My dog's number is registered with AVID microchip and so if it is scanned anywhere by a vet or shelter, it will notify the AVID company and then they would either call me or email me saying they have found that number.

yah i hear its a slim chance of lost animals returned. I did my part so now all i can do is wait.

I feel your pain, I had one stolen one time. Misty was a great little Brittany. I just hate it when people are to cheap and lazy to go get their own dog. Yes, I wish there was some way to get them back to the rightful owner..........Bob

What part of SD wer you in went your dog went missing? What time of the season was it?

South Central part of South Dakota. (winner area) went missing 3rd weekend of pheasant opener. went to stretch, never came back. very unusual of him to do so. he cant stand to be apart from me and my wife ONE bit!

I am sorry I can't help you with your dog, I have seen dogs running loose in the past but I have never been able to get one to come to me so I could check its tags.

However about 6 years ago I was driving to my grandpas farm with a friend and saw a dog just running loose on a parcel of public ground and didn't see any hunters. So I drove around the section looking for vehicles the dog might belong to and saw nothing. So I went back and tried to get the dog to come to me and it came all the way to the ditch, which was really thick,tall grass and it would stop and wimper then run away, it did this about 3 times and I went down in the ditch to look and the dogs owner was laying there in the middle of a diabetic attack. My friend and I got him to the road and tried to find something with sugar in the truck but we had both just finished our soda and neither one of us had a candy bar, but all of a sudden a truck came speeding over the hill in front of us and thank god it was his wife and she had some candy to give him. After he recovered he said he heard us stop and look at the dog and he heard me say that I didn't want to call the dog out of the field and piss the owner off but I didn't see anybody out there. But it turned out for the best. I just wish I could remember the guys name so I could call him and invite him out to hunt with me. He was from Wisc. and he raised crickets for fishing bait and what not. He gave me his business pen but I've since lost it.

Sorry to get off topic and I hope eventually you fing your dog.

Neat story Ford. Maybe Bob is on to something with his instant obedience thing.

Back