Looking for Wild Bird Hunting

OMCOCK

Hi all. I am the leader of a group of 12 guys who have been hunting together for 30 years. We started in Iowa and then moved onto South Dakota to hunt wild birds. We drive from San Diego so to go all that way to hunt planted birds we can do that near our home. The past 12 years we have hunted near Pierre SD and the past 2 years we have seen the wild population suffer from loss of CRP and lack of spring rain. This past year 11 of us hunted 4 days we harvested 22 birds. So we have decided to look elsewhere. I am asking you all for suggestions of where or who to contact. We would be willing to go as far east as we have been which is a 2 1/2 day drive from San Diego. Thank you in advance.

Even in a down period South Dakota is still the pheasant capital. I don't think there is any place else in the US that you will find as many wild birds. Kansas might be pretty good but it's not South Dakota.

look at UGUIDE'S data for 2017...look where his hunters have been doing well. i would steer you to him. many big-name lodges release birds...their reputation depends on success. i would look at his camp in lemmon, sd. or timber lake, sd. but probably lemmon. more habitat. that area seems to have a different weather pattern...less harsh, i think. i know guys that have hunted up there for years...an overlooked area...it is my planned retirement home, no kidding. but i love sharptails as well...good luck. oh, do you all have to be together all time? do you head off in different directions?

look at UGUIDE'S data for 2017...look where his hunters have been doing well. i would steer you to him. many big-name lodges release birds...their reputation depends on success. i would look at his camp in lemmon, sd. or timber lake, sd. but probably lemmon. more habitat. that area seems to have a different weather pattern...less harsh, i think. i know guys that have hunted up there for years...an overlooked area...it is my planned retirement home, no kidding. but i love sharptails as well...good luck. oh, do you all have to be together all time? do you head off in different directions?

I have guided at the Lemmon camp—

Great secluded private location—
Great land to hunt
Really nice location owners
Would be my first choice of all the camps I’ve been to—JMO

I guide at a place in the kimball area, we do not release birds, we do however kill some pen raised birds do to neighbors releasing birds. For example this season so far we have killed around 900 birds and 13 have been pen raised. If we do shoot one I let clients know and show them. I’ve worked here since the place opened and have never released a bird. If you want more info pm me.

I guide at a place in the kimball area, we do not release birds, we do however kill some pen raised birds do to neighbors releasing birds. For example this season so far we have killed around 900 birds and 13 have been pen raised. If we do shoot one I let clients know and show them. I’ve worked here since the place opened and have never released a bird. If you want more info pm me.

How many acres they have to produce that many birds?

A friend of mine that hunts near Kimball said...bird population was down again this year...and was down last year as well.

900 birds - maybe fake news??

Wild Bird hunting

A friend of mine that hunts near Kimball said...bird population was down again this year...and was down last year as well.

900 birds - maybe fake news??

JonnyB thanks we have seen the same results. There is a claim that the birds in the Mitchell area had a better hatch but I am not sure about that. I think it is the outfitters trying to stir up business with hopes of a good hatch this spring

Ford, that is some pretty good numbers in a year like this for pheasants! I am going to PM you with info about the outfit you guide for. I am interested.

To shoot 900 one would have to shoot at 1200? This camp would have to have hunts every day of the week, in order to yield those numbers. All wild?

Tell us more about this camp...

I know places that take more than 900 wild birds in a year so I don't think it's hard to believe one outfit has harvested 900. The season is now 8 weeks old. If the average group size was 7-8 hunters and the land was hunted 5 days a week that would yield you 900 birds.

While some of these areas are down, those that farm for the birds, have plenty of habitat and leave food plots will have plenty of birds.

Back