Looking for SD Pheasants~Hunt Swap?

I would definitely disagree with that. I wouldn't say they're awful, but I wouldn't say they're good either. Once a year is enough for me and the most recent few I've tagged, I've given away to someone else. They don't taste anything like a butterball or jennie-0 turkey you have on Thanksgiving. I would like to try dunking one in a deep fryer once, but I don't have a deep fryer nearly big enough for that.
Ive deep fried a wild turkey and from my perspective it was better than the butterballs we had done before. But it might just be the fact I killed it made it taste better.

Ive deep fried a wild turkey and from my perspective it was better than the butterballs we had done before. But it might just be the fact I killed it made it taste better.
You roast them in a baking bag.You stuff the body cavity with apples, or onions. They turn out real well. 2 hours at 350 for most birds.Serve with mashed potatoes, and gravy, with stove top stuffing.Wild turkey is the best eating wild bird.

You roast them in a baking bag.You stuff the body cavity with apples, or onions. They turn out real well. 2 hours at 350 for most birds.Serve with mashed potatoes, and gravy, with stove top stuffing.Wild turkey is the best eating wild bird.
Goosemastr's above Is how I often do it...pretty good. sometimes I pressure cook it. Quick and juicy. How did we get off on turkey recopies??

I didn't mean to blow up this thread, but it was about swapping, and I do turkey.
Goose, BrdHntr and I contributed to the derail of this thread. To the original poster, we will private message from here on out. You fellows carry on!

I contributed to the turkey convo too. My apologies. With pheasant season over, spring turkey season is the next type of hunting on my radar.

I hunted turkeys on the Rosebud in SD about 20 years ago…great fun being able to climb hills and glass, then stalk or set up and call. Much more activity vs normal wooded hunt in MN!!!

I hunted turkeys on the Rosebud in SD about 20 years ago…great fun being able to climb hills and glass, then stalk or set up and call. Much more activity vs normal wooded hunt in MN!!!
I've turned myself into a really good turkey hunter in the last 25 years.It takes practice, and boots on the ground.

That is impressive. The success rate here in MN is about 24% each spring, so only 1 in 4 hunters fill their tag. I have been able to fill mine 9 out of 16 seasons that I have turkey hunted here so my success rate is well ahead of the average MN hunter, but its still very frustrating to see so many turkeys from a distance and not have one come within range for the last two seasons. I do a lot of scouting and asking for permission when I locate a flock and their roosting site so I can move my blind to different properties in the area if I need to. I go in there like a ninja in the dark too lol.
That's the most important thing I learned when I first started.Get out to where you want to hunt, in the dark.Very important. The second thing was, don't move around out in the open.

I had some landowners tell me not to worry about spending all that time in the dark out there…go out around 10 am, the gobblers are looking for hens still after all the hens are spoken for or are on nests…my buddy and I each shot a Tom around 11 am the next day. These guys were hardcore turkey hunters and NWTF chapter big wigs…I invited a bunch of them to hunt pheasants with me in SD which they did for about 3-4 years…good guys, farmers/dairy farmers by trade.

Both of the above can be true. I like to be out early because I like to see the world as I like it wake up. And sometimes work a bird off the roost. But if I'm hunting public ground I won't even show until daylight. Because I want to know how many guys are in there. To many times I've had guys walk in on me while working a tom. I tried beating them there hoping they would leave when they saw me there like I would have. That didn't work! So I drive until I find a place where no one's there. I have shot some birds by going back to those crowded places around 11:00 when they are empty. Here a popular tactic is to hit as many places as possible to find a hot tom, so some guys won't be there long if nothing is gobbling. I always thought it was ridicules to leave a place you know there's birds in but whatever, I'm glad they do it!

We have shot turkeys at legal start time + one minute and five minutes before sunset ... and most times in between.

Before 10AM or so they are usually coming in vocal. Afternoons, they rarely are gobbing ... but they are moving.

As far as public land hunters leaving ... well around here being in the woods an hour before sunrise often means you woke up at 3:30 or 4 AM. In the field by 5 or 5:30. By 10 AM most head home to nap. I think quite a few that bold out earlier are also working after the morning sit.

Back