Looking for SD Pheasants~Hunt Swap?

True! Had a Wisconsin buddy call me two seasons ago - frustrated - the birds would not come to his field edge set up, they were walking down the middle of the field. I told him to move the blind as close to where he thought their field path was- He killed a tom a day or two after....................blinds just don't seem to bother turkeys. I rarely use them (Only with rain forecasted), but when I do, it always amazes me
I was the last holdout of the turkey hunters I know. They all bought blinds and 3 1/2-inch magnums to hunt field birds close to home. I started out chasing the big woods birds and wouldn't give them up. I would rather drive an hour to hunt in the national forest than sit in a blind and watch birds with binoculars! I finally gave in after two knee surgeries (one I did while turkey hunting) and my wife kept telling me how many birds, she saw out the window and that those hills were going to kill me! I still hunt there some just to prove I can. I hunt with a 20 now just for the hell of it. Thank goodness that not filling my tag isn't near as hard on my ego that it used to be😅

well said birddude! Your last sentence is especially true, as we age. Sitting with my son, or a friend, as they try to harvest a bird, is as good as it gets. Glad you're still out there, taking it all in

Someone told me after last season that they aren't spooked by a blind sitting in the middle of the field. I've always placed my blind so that it blends in with the surroundings without sticking out like a sore thumb - like amongst trees, the edge of a field near brush, etc. Is this true? More than one person told me that they'll walk right past the blind that's in the middle of the field.
I hunt the big hard woods of montana. I never use a blind.Ive gotten 23 toms in 25 years of hunting. My biggest is 27 pounds. I didn't shoot very many my first 10 years, but I learned a lot by hunting a lot. You have to get in the woods ass early.Pitch black.Wear a face mask and gloves, even in dark. Wear good quality camo.Be quite, and no light ever.Buy a slate call, and practice. I like HS STRUTT. IF YOU have to move, get down in a ditch, or wooded crick bottom. If you get one to answer, don't move! They will usually come in, if your calling is good, and you are well hidden.They don't like wind.I don't hunt in wind.

Ive gotten 23 toms in 25 years of hunting. My biggest is 27 pounds.
That is impressive. The success rate here in MN is about 24% each spring, so only 1 in 4 hunters fill their tag. I have been able to fill mine 9 out of 16 seasons that I have turkey hunted here so my success rate is well ahead of the average MN hunter, but its still very frustrating to see so many turkeys from a distance and not have one come within range for the last two seasons. I do a lot of scouting and asking for permission when I locate a flock and their roosting site so I can move my blind to different properties in the area if I need to. I go in there like a ninja in the dark too lol.

That is impressive. The success rate here in MN is about 24% each spring, so only 1 in 4 hunters fill their tag. I have been able to fill mine 9 out of 16 seasons that I have turkey hunted here so my success rate is well ahead of the average MN hunter, but its still very frustrating to see so many turkeys from a distance and not have one come within range for the last two seasons. I do a lot of scouting and asking for permission when I locate a flock and their roosting site so I can move my blind to different properties in the area if I need to. I go in there like a ninja in the dark too lol.
Montana has a spring, and a fall season, so you can get 2 or 3 a year. I think scouting is important, and you really have to know the lay of the land. Getting out there in the dark is crucial. I took the bulb out of my dome light, and disabled the bell
I usually call them in, but I have ambushed a few.They can see like an eagle, and they can hear well. They are excellent to eat.

"Stole this , might be of help"

Thanks again 5 Stand, I will look into for sure. If it's anything like On-X, that would be a Godsend. Around 40 years of doing that dream trip, missed 2020 covid year when travel was banned, and a year going back to school. We made it last year, not fun dealing with covid tests to and from, but the duck hunting was spectacular. The geese were still north of where we hunt while we were there, such is hunting & how things go. Haven't seen ducks like that in a good number of years. Certainly wouldn't mind dumping those municipal district landowner maps!! Blessed to have many good friends up there, so half the trip is social
It was recommended to a duck hunter (on The refuge forum) going to Canada . He was wanting something similar to on x and that's what someone suggested. Hope it turns out to be just what you're looking for. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi again 5 Stand, This does look promising! They show the main four MD's we hunt in; I just bought these a couple years ago(have been buying them every 7-8 years or so due to landowner changes). I'll have to buy them again electronically, but they would then work on the ihunter app. I need to check the app cost next.....................unless it's outrageous, this is a no brainer. Most of those paper MD maps are manageable in size, but one is like 3' x 5'
almost comical trying to use it! Really appreciate your tip on this!

You're more than welcome buddy.
3' by 5' almost comical trying to use it, I laughed out loud when I read that.
I'll keep an eye out on the other thread, if someone post something else I'll let you know.

Someone also mentioned Huntstand app.

Thank you. The pic of the dugout doesn't do justice to how many ducks were actually using it. it was standing room only, and they were all around the bank. We left it be and located the fields they were using, which gave us multiple hunts. One morning there was a blanket of 3-4000 ducks on the ground, 200 or so yards from our set up, 20 minutes before shooting time. We've seen that before, but it's been years since we've seen that many on the ground early, in one field. That particular hunt was over fast...............

Attachments

• P26.jpg
    P26.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 11
  • p28.jpg
    p28.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 10
BTW, have you ever seen a Mercedes in a waterfowl field before? This was hilarious! We often have friends up there join us for a morning or two of hunting. Long story, but the guy's truck took a crap, and had to borrow a friends car.................made for a fun memory this past fall

Attachments

• P27.jpg
    P27.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
They are excellent to eat.
I would definitely disagree with that. I wouldn't say they're awful, but I wouldn't say they're good either. Once a year is enough for me and the most recent few I've tagged, I've given away to someone else. They don't taste anything like a butterball or jennie-0 turkey you have on Thanksgiving. I would like to try dunking one in a deep fryer once, but I don't have a deep fryer nearly big enough for that.

I would definitely disagree with that. I wouldn't say they're awful, but I wouldn't say they're good either. Once a year is enough for me and the most recent few I've tagged, I've given away to someone else. They don't taste anything like a butterball or jennie-0 turkey you have on Thanksgiving. I would like to try dunking one in a deep fryer once, but I don't have a deep fryer nearly big enough for that.
Depends! Jakes and baby fall birds are good. Two-year old's eatable. After that, Nope..

We harvested a couple of domestic/wild crosses that a farmer begged us to shoot. My dad was cooking for Thanksgiving and said not taking the chance on that bird.
Cooked 1 up the next week and everybody said way better then butterball. Had the other for Christmas and it was great.

I killed a 27 pounder don't remember spur length, but It was the oldest I've killed. A relative ran over an old hen. It was only hit in the head. Neighbor had a 3-year-old tame tom. None were fit to eat!

Depends! Jakes and baby fall birds are good. Two-year old's eatable. After that, Nope..
I’ve never had one I didn’t like, depends how you cook them. Brine and/ or marinate helps.
You have to cook the parts (breasts/ thighs/ legs) separately, this isn’t a farm raised bird. Many good tips from wild game chefs out there.

Are you insulting my cooking prowess?? If you, are I resemble that!!😁
Not at all, but the other guy also was comparing them to a “thanksgiving bird”. ;)

I like the thighs and leg meat in a soup or slow cooked in a pulled bbq recipe. The meat will fall off the tendons.
The breasts simply cut into 6-8oz size pcs olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper on the grill. Don’t overcook!

I wish my hunts were more successful harvest-wise, I love these birds.

Not at all, but the other guy also was comparing them to a “thanksgiving bird”.
That was me. And its true lol. A lot of non-hunter people think that a wild turkey tastes like one you buy in the store. Its just not true.

I have tried to prepare it many different ways. I had it smoked one time by a processor for 12 hours and that was probably the best way to eat one. The problem is that I have to leave the skin on for the smoker, which means I have to pluck a wild turkey. You ever try plucking one? It took me over 2 hours. Never doing that again. I'd be interested in hearing some other recipes for wild turkey next spring. I'll start a new thread in April.

Back