Looking for a black lab puppy.Not paying more than 500.

I'll put my 300 dollar lab up against any 5000 dollar lab, and mine will win,I promise you.
Unfortunately I don't have a $5000 dollar lab. Would you be willing to bet against a $1200 dollar lab?
Should we just bet on upland game as this is a pheasant forum or should we include waterfowl? I'm fine either way.
This seems like it needs to be a bet between gentleman as its impossible to eliminate all variables, what would you propose? Give me a time and a place and I'll give it a go.
If either of us have to travel significant distance this needs to be for a substantial amount of money. You mentioned $5000 labs earlier, how about we wager 5k and a case of crappy beer to share after?

PS I like "crappy beer".

Unfortunately I don't have a $5000 dollar lab. Would you be willing to bet against a $1200 dollar lab?
Should we just bet on upland game as this is a pheasant forum or should we include waterfowl? I'm fine either way.
This seems like it needs to be a bet between gentleman as its impossible to eliminate all variables, what would you propose? Give me a time and a place and I'll give it a go.
If either of us have to travel significant distance this needs to be for a substantial amount of money. You mentioned $5000 labs earlier, how about we wager 5k and a case of crappy beer to share after?

PS I like "crappy beer".
Ha ha. My dog just turned 10, but she has been one hell of a good dog.She has always retrieved to hand.I did very little training. I just hunted alot.

Ha ha. My dog just turned 10, but she has been one hell of a good dog.She has always retrieved to hand.I did very little training. I just hunted alot.
I'm sure you have a good dog and love the dog a lot. And will love and provide a loving home for your next dog. But no need to throw insults towards those of us who enjoy a well trained hunting companion. For some of those who titled their dogs and never hunt them, they probably lack hunting skills but not the fault of the dog at all. Had a friend that put an FC title on his male lab and the dog never went hunting in its life. But he was a litter mate to Webshires Honest Abe and would have made a terrific hunting dog had the dog ever had the chance. Dogs are dogs. They really want to do one thing, please us. They don't give a dam who their sire and dams are. But by buying from a reputable breeder, you can greatly reduce the chance of health related problems and you know the genetics are there to produce a high quality dog. You can also assure yourself that the dogs that were bred were in fact the dogs that were bred.

I'm sure you have a good dog and love the dog a lot. And will love and provide a loving home for your next dog. But no need to throw insults towards those of us who enjoy a well trained hunting companion. For some of those who titled their dogs and never hunt them, they probably lack hunting skills but not the fault of the dog at all. Had a friend that put an FC title on his male lab and the dog never went hunting in its life. But he was a litter mate to Webshires Honest Abe and would have made a terrific hunting dog had the dog ever had the chance. Dogs are dogs. They really want to do one thing, please us. They don't give a dam who their sire and dams are. But by buying from a reputable breeder, you can greatly reduce the chance of health related problems and you know the genetics are there to produce a high quality dog. You can also assure yourself that the dogs that were bred were in fact the dogs that were bred.
I agree, but I will retort.Any pure bred lab can be a great hunting dog.Its all about hours on birds, and a good shotgunner.

Well then I'll bring out Dutch, he will be thirteen April 1st and only cost $900. And I will still wager $5k.
I am in central MN, pick a place midway between us. Let's do this!

Well then I'll bring out Dutch, he will be thirteen April 1st and only cost $900. And I will still wager $5k.
I am in central MN, pick a place midway between us. Let's do this!
Let's wager a case of pbr, and a box of 1-7/8;oz. BB. Copper plated, buffered mag.

Not sure why I'm even posting as I hardly look at this site but...I've grown tired of the lab snobs now days. So many out there that think if a lab doesn't have a title it's no good. That is flat bullsheet and I'll tell it to your face! The old saying " A good dog is a good dog." Period. I hunt a lot here in SD. Upland and waterfowl. I have hunted with no pedigree/title dogs who sucked. They were ugly, poor manners and behavior and instincts weren't good. I've hunted with dogs that had every title in the world and sucked. They were robots as someone else said. They couldn't used nose well and hunt with instinct-had to be told what to do. Goes both ways. Me personally, I like a well bred dog with clearances. I have trained for years. I used to buy pups, start them and sell when they are 11 or so months old. Big market for that. Did well. I bred a couple times. I found a line I like and philosophy I like. I found the best dogs that ive run are dogs that have a bit of a mixture of titles and a few meat dogs mixed in. I found they tend to be very trainable yet easy going with tons of instinct. The pups I've sold had incredible pedigrees and health certs I felt important. A health tested dog with good pedigree stacks the odds in your favor that things will go well. But it is NOT a guarantee. Everyone has the right to buy and live with whatever dog they want. My first couple dogs years ago didn't have great pedigrees or certs and they were great! Everyone needs to remember that 90% of hunters out there AREN'T looking for a field champ. They're looking for a good hunting dog but more importantly are a good family member. The sire to my last breeding was a dog named Robby from MN. He had tons of titles and is in the HOF in the bird dog challenge world. He also has several meat dogs in his pedigree. My female has 0 titles but her pedigree is jacked. But....Some people need get their nose out of the air.

Not sure why I'm even posting as I hardly look at this site but...I've grown tired of the lab snobs now days. So many out there that think if a lab doesn't have a title it's no good. That is flat bullsheet and I'll tell it to your face! The old saying " A good dog is a good dog." Period. I hunt a lot here in SD. Upland and waterfowl. I have hunted with no pedigree/title dogs who sucked. They were ugly, poor manners and behavior and instincts weren't good. I've hunted with dogs that had every title in the world and sucked. They were robots as someone else said. They couldn't used nose well and hunt with instinct-had to be told what to do. Goes both ways. Me personally, I like a well bred dog with clearances. I have trained for years. I used to buy pups, start them and sell when they are 11 or so months old. Big market for that. Did well. I bred a couple times. I found a line I like and philosophy I like. I found the best dogs that ive run are dogs that have a bit of a mixture of titles and a few meat dogs mixed in. I found they tend to be very trainable yet easy going with tons of instinct. The pups I've sold had incredible pedigrees and health certs I felt important. A health tested dog with good pedigree stacks the odds in your favor that things will go well. But it is NOT a guarantee. Everyone has the right to buy and live with whatever dog they want. My first couple dogs years ago didn't have great pedigrees or certs and they were great! Everyone needs to remember that 90% of hunters out there AREN'T looking for a field champ. They're looking for a good hunting dog but more importantly are a good family member. The sire to my last breeding was a dog named Robby from MN. He had tons of titles and is in the HOF in the bird dog challenge world. He also has several meat dogs in his pedigree. My female has 0 titles but her pedigree is jacked. But....Some people need get their nose out of the air.
Well your right it isn't a guarantee having a good pedigree and "Certs" as you would call them. And some people can buy a mutt and have a great dog. But the chances are that most people are going to ruin a dog regardless of it's pedigree. Most all dogs will never reach their full potential. And your wrong about people needing to get their nose out of the air. If a dog has poor manners and behavior, people need to pull their head out of their ass. Because that is not a dogs fault, that is the fault of the owner or trainer.

I'm sure opinions on Best Lab are like noses. Everyone has one.

I feel very comfortable with my choice. To an extent, it's risk management. I felt I was at minimal risk with Riverview.

Some know the story, but I ended up at Riverview after the sudden (and unexplainable after autopsy, food sample evaluation by K-State and more) death of a pup I bred from my older English Lab bitch and AI on the sire side that put my original male Lab as Great Grandsire. He was the very beginning of a line started by my best friend vet and I. The Granddam on the male side was my very first English import, from the same kennel as the one I have now. So Jessie was special in that way and in many others. She was a beautiful, smart, loving pup. I still miss her. This is Jessie with her dam in SD. Jess was just 6 months old then. Little did I know I only had 3 more months with her.

1695346731576.png

Like getting thrown from a horse, I saddled up again. Don't think life's worth living without a good Lab. I looked at Wildrose and Riverview. I chose Riverview.

Guess I'm a Lab snob.

Let's wager a case of pbr, and a box of 1-7/8;oz. BB. Copper plated, buffered mag.
I will be in the church's Ferry region of ND around 10/22 guiding waterfowl. I'm not going to work to hard or travel to far for a case of Pabst, and some shells I wont shoot. You are going to have to put in the windshield time.

PS The only copper plated BBs I shoot are out of Gamo air rifle

I will be in the church's Ferry region of ND around 10/22 guiding waterfowl. I'm not going to work to hard or travel to far for a case of Pabst, and some shells I wont shoot. You are going to have to put in the windshield time.

PS The only copper plated BBs I shoot are out of Gamo air rifle
At one time, I hunted geese a lot
I was great at it. Ots an early morning thing.Sunrise excitement!@

Well your right it isn't a guarantee having a good pedigree and "Certs" as you would call them. And some people can buy a mutt and have a great dog. But the chances are that most people are going to ruin a dog regardless of it's pedigree. Most all dogs will never reach their full potential. ur And yo wrong about peopleneeding to get their nose out of the air. If a dog has poor manners and behavior, people need to pull their head out of their ass. Because that is not a dogs fault, that is the fault of the owner or trainer. Keep telling yourself that.

Well your right it isn't a guarantee having a good pedigree and "Certs" as you would call them. And some people can buy a mutt and have a great dog. But the chances are that most people are going to ruin a dog regardless of it's pedigree. Most all dogs will never reach their full potential. And your wrong about people needing to get their nose out of the air. If a dog has poor manners and behavior, people need to pull their head out of their ass. Because that is not a dogs fault, that is the fault of the owner or trainer.
Says someone with nose in the air.

I'll end with this. Most of the guys I've ever trained with and got to know are great! Years ago one pro took me and dog aside and showed me how to FF. Didn't charge me, ask questions etc... just flat out showed me. Most guys I know are super guys and non judgmental. However, you ever look at the site Retrievertrainer.net? Surprised that site hasn't blown up from all the hot air. I've seen several armatures and newbies ask questions or statements and get blasted by pros on there. Snobbish, ahole comments to someone who was just trying to learn. Again....a good dog is a good dog.

Back