Looking for a black lab puppy.Not paying more than 500.

Found a 1 year old Lab pup for $700. Health tested, shots etc.,

Now you are quoting goosemaster. I paid $4500 because I work and don't have time to devote to a puppy. I have trained all my dogs myself. FF, CC, OB, all the way to advanced training. I just have to commute to school every day now and have 6 grand kids. No time for a puppy so I bought one from Riverview Farms. I also recommended them to another on the forum and he got a puppy from them as well. https://riverviewfarm-kennel.com/
If you got a good started dog for that price, kudos to you! It is $$$ in both time and trainer fees to get a good dog to a level that is really beneficial.

Found a 1 year old Lab pup for $700. Health tested, shots etc.,

There is probably a reason why this pup is priced the way it is.. Buyer beware

WestKS put me on to Riverview Farm. Paid $2k for a pup. I consider her a bargain. All UK sires and dams. All health clearances done. This pup’s sire made up to UK FTCH, dam a littermate to a bitch FTCH.

Thanks again WestKS.

This is her in SD last year at 11 months old.

IMG_3646.jpeg

There is probably a reason why this pup is priced the way it is.. Buyer beware
Dog is in the guys price range and he can do his own due diligence and talk with the breeder. I've hunted over dogs that guys got from the pound and they found birds. Different people have different wants and needs.

That said, I don't buy a pup based on price either. Took me 2 years to find my last Vizsla pup and I walked away from several different litters before I picked one. If I bring a pup home they stay whether they turn out or not so I have to hit a home run every time I put a pup in my truck. Not a decision I take lightly and I pay whatever I have to pay to get exactly what I want.

WestKS put me on to Riverview Farm. Paid $2k for a pup. I consider her a bargain. All UK sires and dams. All health clearances done. This pup’s sire made up to UK FTCH, dam a littermate to a bitch FTCH.

Thanks again WestKS.

This is her in SD last year at 11 months old.

View attachment 6078
She is a pretty pup!

Hopefully no one tells the dog in my profile pic she’s a worthless mutt because she was free, unpapered, and an accident. She also has soent her almost 9 years riding in the back seat and sleeping (almost) anywhere she wants in the house. Her feelings would be hurt.
On the other end of the spectrum, I have a year old GSP who I paid over a grand for and she spends her day in a crate while Im at work and also only rides in a vehicle crated in the box.
So far, only the mutt can claim success as a pheasant finder/retriever.

Dog is in the guys price range and he can do his own due diligence and talk with the breeder. I've hunted over dogs that guys got from the pound and they found birds. Different people have different wants and needs.

That said, I don't buy a pup based on price either. Took me 2 years to find my last Vizsla pup and I walked away from several different litters before I picked one. If I bring a pup home they stay whether they turn out or not so I have to hit a home run every time I put a pup in my truck. Not a decision I take lightly and I pay whatever I have to pay to get exactly what I want.
Huh?
OP says he will not pay over $500. $700 is a 40% increase, I get it that $200 is peanuts in the whole scheme of things but if you are cheap..... You're cheap.
I just don't want someone to buy the next great deal and end up with a 12-14 year commitment to heart ache, or some monster medical bills. Their is no way to predict the future but saving a couple bucks up front is not a gamble I will take.

PS I looked up both dogs on Hunting Lab Pedigree, Entry Express, and Hunt Secretary, it appears that they have most of their health clearances, and the parents might be good dogs. Unfortunately "clear by parentage" is a bit grey and doesn't cut the mustard with me. I am actually surprised they got $1200 a pup for this breeding.

Huh?
OP says he will not pay over $500. $700 is a 40% increase, I get it that $200 is peanuts in the whole scheme of things but if you are cheap..... You're cheap.
I just don't want someone to buy the next great deal and end up with a 12-14 year commitment to heart ache, or some monster medical bills. Their is no way to predict the future but saving a couple bucks up front is not a gamble I will take.

PS I looked up both dogs on Hunting Lab Pedigree, Entry Express, and Hunt Secretary, it appears that they have most of their health clearances, and the parents might be good dogs. Unfortunately "clear by parentage" is a bit grey and doesn't cut the mustard with me. I am actually surprised they got $1200 a pup for this breeding.
Pup has had shots, vaccines and some level of health clearances. I thought the pedigree was decent and $200 bucks these days is a few bags of dog food. Regardless, I don't have any skin in the game and people say a lot of things and then change their mind. I'm just trying to give the guy a lead on a dog that needs a home. He can do with it what he wants.

Don't let these guys caught up in field trials deter you. A good field trial dog isn't a lock to be a good real world hunting dog. Planted birds and a dog that acts like a robot can never beat a pooch who is simply trained to basic obedience and then given lots and lots of exposure to wild birds. If I had to bet dimes to donuts, the best bird dogs the world has ever seen never competed in hunt tests and field trials. I am all for these activities, but canned tests can never compete with real world experiences.

Don't let these guys caught up in field trials deter you. A good field trial dog isn't a lock to be a good real world hunting dog. Planted birds and a dog that acts like a robot can never beat a pooch who is simply trained to basic obedience and then given lots and lots of exposure to wild birds. If I had to bet dimes to donuts, the best bird dogs the world has ever seen never competed in hunt tests and field trials. I am all for these activities, but canned tests can never compete with real world experiences.
Have you ever attended a HT or FT, or hunted over a MH, UHR, or a FC/AFC? If you haven't I suggest you do, I'm pretty sure you will be amazed. I'm not saying a you can't have a nice dog with out titles, and just solid obedience. Heck I had a few when I was younger, but then I wanted more. I had always enjoyed dog training and found a local pro trainer who took me under his wing. After working together evenings and weekends for a few months he suggested I try a HT. I did and was hooked. He and I still train and hunt together regularly.

If you are interested in learning more please reach out and I will find an event in your area. I know your misconception about these dogs being robots will change.

When people start referring to well trained dogs as robots, it is because they lack the ability and discipline to produce a well trained dog themselves. So they have to throw insults.

Im with Bob on this. Not trying to dis anyone who does the trial thing, couple guys I hunt with now do it. I have hunted with a handful of dogs with several of these lettered titles, idk what they were. They did fine, but ive seen “lesser” dogs do better. Not better trained, just better natural ability. Better nose. Better instinct.
I had a shorthair im glad didnt honor the point (never understood why anyone would teach or want that), because the English Pointer we hunted with regularly would hold the point while the bird ran over the horizon. The shorthair would go with the bird and eventually pin it down somewhere.

I'm sure Goose means gin rummy. Half can of PBR on Goose. :unsure:
Well we know from past post that he is the "master" of crippled birds. His dog might go ape shit if someone actually shot one for it. Or maybe from his poor shooting, his dog has become the greatest crippled bird tracker of all time.

Win at retrieving birds to hand.
I will take that bet any day of the week. We could go to Claythorne Lodge and have them work a European Pheasant Shoot then follow it up with a dove hunt. Lets set up situations where the have to trail a crippled bird as well. At least a 100 yd tracking job.

Back