looking for a 28 gauge

greatlawn

I have been thinking about a 28 gauge. Does anybody have one they like? I was able to shoot a Remington Premier o/u and a Winchester 101 yesterday. The 101 is very nice but probably out of my price range. What do you think of a Browning Citori white lighting?

Depends on what your budget will accommodate. I have 3 28's & like them all: A Benelli Legacy (gorgeous gun), a Ruger Red Label, and a CZ Bobwhite. All are shooters & I have no complaints about any of them. The CZ is the lightest of the 3 & is a joy to carry. Good luck in your quest - try a 28 - you'll fall in love!

david0311

I have been thinking about a 28 gauge. Does anybody have one they like? I was able to shoot a Remington Premier o/u and a Winchester 101 yesterday. The 101 is very nice but probably out of my price range. What do you think of a Browning Citori white lighting?

Have a B. Rizzini--imported by Sig that is a joy to carry and shoot--

I also have a CZ Bobwhite - great little SxS. My favorite, tho', is a Franchi Aspire. They were only made for a couple of years but are still around. Points like a dream (for me.) I chose it over the Beretta and the Browning and haven't regretted it at all.

What are you looking for? An auto, SxS, O/U? Franchi 48al and weatherby sa08 are good semi auto options. Cz makes scaled receivers on their 28's which makes for a nice gun at a decent price.

I bought a little Ithaca 37 last spring. Really like it so far. Their customer service was excellent.

Just picked up a Beretta A400 in a 28. Loaded her up with 1oz-6's and dropped the first pheasant encountered on day one. I would seriously recommend the A400.

I got an Ugartechea 28 ga SxS from Lion Country Supply last summer. Took it to SD this fall and it knocked them dead. The lower grade Uggies are a good buy in a SXS and LCS will stand behind them. The higher grade guns are truly fine and cheap compared to other brands of similar quality.

I have a Renato Gamba Princepessa SxS. Very well built little gun. Great quail gun and I would love to try it on grouse too.

28 ga

I also have & greatly enjoy a CZ Bobwhite 28 ga. It even works on Bobwhites:
bobs%20with%20the%20bobwhite_1.jpg

28ga

I have a small bore obession ,I have way too many to list but for me I love them all ,just get what ever fits you best or feels the best in the hands(in your price range) if it dont fit you will be unhappy. My go to gun is a cheep Tristar-auto in 28ga the cheepest one I own ,it just fits. I like it so much I bought an extra barrell and sent it to Briley Mfg and had it shortened to 22" I shoot just about everthing with the 28ga's.

Last edited:
Bought a Weatherby SA-08 28ga late last hunting season and love it, cheap compared to others I've seen and haven't had any issues

I have a Lion Country Supply Uggie as well in SxS and no complaints. very light and easy to shoot. i halso have a tristar in the silver viper G2 semi. light gun and shoots decent but finicky with ammo. does not like Herters at all. wont cycle with it but no problem with AA or fiochi.

I have an idea that you may not like (if you are set on purchasing a gun) ...

If you already own a double barrel shotgun ...

Purchase a couple of gauge reducer sleeves. I have a set (pair) that slips right into my 20ga O/U. The skeet guys that shoot multiple gauges often use these so that the gun does not change, just the gauge.

I used these 28 gauge sleeves when I was exposing my pup to increasing gunfire sounds and when I feel like shooting a 28 gauge at targets.

I have an idea that you may not like (if you are set on purchasing a gun) ...

If you already own a double barrel shotgun ...

Purchase a couple of gauge reducer sleeves. I have a set (pair) that slips right into my 20ga O/U. The skeet guys that shoot multiple gauges often use these so that the gun does not change, just the gauge.

I used these 28 gauge sleeves when I was exposing my pup to increasing gunfire sounds and when I feel like shooting a 28 gauge at targets.

Where is the fun in that? ;)

Back