Light o/u ?

waggs

In the market for a o/u. I puchased a Franchi 48 al 20 gauge auto a few years back and it has become my go too gun since.
The franchi weighs in at about 5 1/2 ponds, so now I'm lookin for a o/u that would be close in the same weight category.
Would like stay with a 12 or 20 gauge, but would prefere a 12.

Don't know my o/u very well so I am asking for your help and any suggetions.

I find my Cortona to be a nice weight to carry. Had CZ and they are heavy. The Cortona is just right I think, not so light they kick like a mule either.

If thats the O/U in the pics the other day its a nice looking piece. Make? Briley chokes?

If thats the O/U in the pics the other day its a nice looking piece. Make? Briley chokes?

Mine is a Cortona Grande Sporting. They have there own nickel plated chokes. They are an Italian gun, made by the same relatives as the Verona's, Cesar's, F.A.I.R, All Rizzini family's. Not sure on spelling.:D
Kalispell Caseline imported and distributed them, but I see they are out of business, belly up. So I don't know who is or will be bringing these fine Italian guns over any more. Tried a search tonight and there is not many left for sale. Found one like mine. Too bad, there nice guns. Hope they sort it out.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on CDNN they have these fine Italian guns for sale from time to Time. You can download their catalog at this link..........Bob

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

A lot of people have bad things to say about cz shotguns quality, but I own two and love them and have never had a malfunction with either.

Check this one out, not pretty by my standards but we all have different taste. At 6lbs it is a light 12ga o/u.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/upland-ultralight/

I own a 20ga red head deluxe and though it lists at 6.7lbs mine weights just over 6.

I had a CZ Woodcock Deluxe.12ga It was a great gun and shot well. Great quality for the $. But it got heavy to carry. That was my only problem with it. And the choke tubes screwed in and out tougher then others. Not sure about the other models.

None of us mentioned that fit is important with an OU. thats why I ended up with what I have had, CZ and the Cesars or Cortonas fit perfect for me.

Very true, you need to shoulder the gun to get the feel of it. You also need to know your preference for lop, grip, and fore end styles. I love a gun that is thin in the wrist with a prince of Wales or English stock, its all about preference.

Browning Upland

I have a Browning Upland OU in 20 ga. but it was also made in 12 ga. It has a straight stock and 24 inch barrels with Invector tubes. It's my favorite Grouse Gun.

Lock and Load :D

I did a little shopping at the local sporting goods store. the one browning cynergy feather they had just didn't fit me well. Looked at every o/u they had and you know that feeling you get when you shoulder a gun at it just fits, They didn't have it in there store. I'm just begining this search so I will ask this.
Is there some o/u I should shy away from?

I did a little shopping at the local sporting goods store. the one browning cynergy feather they had just didn't fit me well. Looked at every o/u they had and you know that feeling you get when you shoulder a gun at it just fits, They didn't have it in there store. I'm just begining this search so I will ask this.

I like Citori 12s and 20s and my old Red label 12:)

Nope, just stay at a respectable $ range so as not to buy junk, and keep looking for that one that fits. I did the same thing. Pulled up on who knows how many. Only a few fit me.

I bought this Rizzini last year in 20 and love it, almost always use it, I shoot it better then my 12 skb or my cz 20 sxs. It is very light but I have 30" tubes so It' balanced well, weighs just over 6#. Only use a 12 now out west late season.

100_1160.jpg

Last edited:
Cynergy

Going to be toting around a cynergy euro sporting this week in SD in 20. Light! swings great, compact, etc.

Beretta Ultra Light

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Beretta Ultra Light- a 12 GA O/U based on the proven 687 action. They've been out for awhile so you should be able to find a nice preowned one for field use. Mine weighs right at 6# with 28" tubes.

From bad experiences, I'd stay away from some of the names mentioned above.

NB

waggs, you better shoot one of those 6 lb O/U's before buying one. While great to carry, firing a typical 12GA hunting load will really rock your world!

I have the CZ Ultralight and could not be happier with it. It fit really well for me and I have been using it for everything this fall. I have used it for shooting clays this summer as well as waterfowl and pheasants this fall. I have not had any problems with the amount of kick. To me, even with the higher power hunting shells, you do not feel the kick. I have tried several guns and the CZ was and will always be my first choice. I have let others shoot my gun too and they are surprised how little kick there is for such a light gun.

Back