Light o/u ?

Outstanding. I like to hear good reports on guns. Nothing worse then someone who has had back luck with a certain gun.

I tend to like a lighter gun as well and ended up with a Beretta 686 when I bought a O/U. They tend to have a bit longer length of pull I believe, so fit me well as a bigger guy with long arms. Moving from a single barrel gun to a double barrel, I always felt like the barrel part of the guns were so heavy, but the Beretta was much less that way.

I tend to like a lighter gun as well and ended up with a Beretta 686 when I bought a O/U. They tend to have a bit longer length of pull I believe, so fit me well as a bigger guy with long arms. Moving from a single barrel gun to a double barrel, I always felt like the barrel part of the guns were so heavy, but the Beretta was much less that way.

I have to 2nd this opinion. Love my 686, light, reliable, looks good and fits perfectly.

I bought a plain-Jane Beretta 686 ultralight a few years ago. this summer I had a gunsmith add an inch to the stock and steam-bend it to cast-on and decrease the drop-at-comb. Not it flies to my shoulder and the bead sits just right. There has been a measurable improvement in my kill rate as a result, especially on the first shot. I absolutely love the gun. This one tips the scale at 5 pounds 11 ounces. My buddy bought one of the newer ones and it's just a hair under 6 lbs. 28" 12 gauge chambered 2.75. Lots of guys complain about the recoil of these ultralight guns. I disagree though - for shooting a bit of practice clays once in a while (25 rounds or so is fine) and definitely as a field gun, the recoil is nothing to worry about (keeping in mind that I am relatively well padded). So I recommend the gun for sure, but perhaps even more so, I recommend custom stock fitting. It might not be as expensive as you think. The gunsmith who did it for me only charged me 150$ for the steam bending (lengthening the LOP was more to add a stock spacer and make it look good etc...).
-Croc

i bought a Franchi renaisssance in 12g, just over 6lb with 28in barrels, it has a great gel pad and best of all it was on sale at sportsmans for 899.00 after rebate.

i bought a Franchi renaisssance in 12g, just over 6lb with 28in barrels, it has a great gel pad and best of all it was on sale at sportsmans for 899.00 after rebate.

My hunting buddy bought one of these as well (the price DROPPED this year in Canada as well - from 1500 down to 1100$!). It's a beaut. As you say, nice and light, good fit and finish, nice attention to detail. Very nice option.

I went through th O/U buying process a couple years ago. I would also suggest getting your hand on as many different guns as possible to see witch one feels the best. I ended up buying a Ruger Red Label 12guage and absolutly love it. The Red Label was not the gun I originally hand in mind when I started out, but it was the one that felt the best to me.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!

Retriever Journal Review

If my memory hasn't failed me Retriever Journal just did a review of lightweight over and under 12 gauges this fall. It would be worth tracking down the article, it had lots of good info., unfortunately I loaned my copy to someone.

I just inherited from my dad's Sigarms SA3. It isn't the lightest but definitely feels lighter than my 870. It shoulders really well for me, now I just have to teach myself to stop overcompensating for the bottom barrel. :D

shotguns

:)I have a red head deluxe by cz in 12 gauge and there bob white in a 20.I love them both.I started looking for a semi auto in a12 just becouse im a teribble shot. I wasnt knocking birds dead with my 20.So i started useing my 12 more.LIke you i wonted a light shotgun in 12 gauge.I was looking for something not to expencive but also good. As far as kick goes im a young man i figure bring it on.there are a number of nice shotguns out there i figure if i like it ill buy it.As long a it kind of fits me ill learn how to shoot it.

VZW- Don't think about any compensation for a barrel- just shoot like you normally do. Open up your choke and be more selective of your shots if need be. Just dont THINK- REACT!

Thanks driggs. Going to go test it out shortly. It has an improved in the bottom barrel, but I usually tend to start thing about things and screw up. I can even screw up shooting doubles in clays with a single barrel. I'm sure I just need more practice with it.

Shotgun: The original "point & click" interface . . .

Not the cheapest route, but I have a 6 lb. 5 oz. Beretta 687 Ultralight Deluxe. I like the weight because it's very light, but not too light. It's my lightest 12 gauge and about as light as I can go without overpowering the gun, and I feed it 7/8 oz. loads for practice at the range. No need to shoot the new "magnumitis" loads in these light 12's. A 1 1/4 oz. load at 1200-1250 has works fine on roosters.

If you're on a tighter budget and want to go light I'd take a good look at the CZ Ultralight OU. I've hearing some good things about this model.

Last edited:
light weight o/u

Hi a couple of thoughts , I used a 20 for wild birds for almost 10 years, and found most shots going away , yielded in my opinon more lost or wounded birds than i thought necessary. I had used a light 20 auto, so went looking for a 12 ga. O/U. I found a Browning superposed superlight, under 7 pounds and with 1 1/8 Federal loads was deadly on pheasants, without undo recoil. I shot it at clays last year with 1 oz. loads and didnt feel punished either. This fall was my best pheasant year ever.
Take a look for the citori version of super light, that might be your answer, probably in the range price wise of much heavier guns?

Browning Cynergy Feather. Light, reliable as the sun and backed with a 5 year Warranty..pluse $500.00 in Cynergy gear/rebate

I don't own one, but that Cynergy Feather Composite looks like an interesting gun. Nice and light, and the adjustable comb is quite a nice feature for "dailing in" your gunfit.

Back