Length of SD Pheasant Season

Dakotazeb

The GF&P Commission today voted down increasing the length of the pheasant season. The proposal was to extend it one week in January beyond the normal closing date. I was hoping it would go through but I'm sure the opposition got to the commissioners. In the past the opposition to things like this has come mainly from the hunting preserve owners. Oh well, I'll just have to get out a few extra days.

As SD native sojourning in another state....I was hoping for a one week extension. Would have given me more options for a 2nd 5 days stretch in SD. Getting back to hunt over the holidays can be tricky with family things and all....but after my first 5 day hunt, usually in November, over the holidays is my only opportunity!

The GF&P Commission today voted down increasing the length of the pheasant season. The proposal was to extend it one week in January beyond the normal closing date. I was hoping it would go through but I'm sure the opposition got to the commissioners. In the past the opposition to things like this has come mainly from the hunting preserve owners. Oh well, I'll just have to get out a few extra days.

Here is the story from the Argus.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090402/UPDATES/90402044

I also talked to a friend who attended the meeting and he said that the opposition to the longer season came from landowners tired of being bothered by road hunters. It appears that the problem is road hunting and not the longer season.

LM

the opposition to the longer season came from landowners tired of being bothered by road hunters. It appears that the problem is road hunting and not the longer season.

LM

I can see where Game and Fish does not want to alienate landowners in SD. I can also see where a landowner and preserve owner would be one in the same essentially. I could also see any other landowner that charges to hunt or has a commercial interest and would not let hunters on their ground anyway be opposed to this suggestion. Especially is road hunters are bending/breaking the law.

I can see where Game and Fish does not want to alienate landowners in SD. I can also see where a landowner and preserve owner would be one in the same essentially. I could also see any other landowner that charges to hunt or has a commercial interest and would not let hunters on their ground anyway be opposed to this suggestion. Especially is road hunters are bending/breaking the law.

The feedback from the meeting suggests that we will need to give up road hunting in order to have a longer season. The majority of the complaints stem from two things.

1. Road hunters tend to frequently disturb pheasants in shelterbelts. This leads to the perception that the birds are at a huge disadvantage and that the pheasants cannot get any rest or shelter for the entire day due to frequent road hunters chasing them out.
2. The worry about safety to cattle and homes since many shelterbelts are close to farmsteads. Landowners worry that road hunters are unable to resist shooting at birds that are too close to cattle or farm houses.

For these reasons, I feel that we won't get a longer season until we abolish road hunting or limit it to the first couple weeks of the season. A good compromise would be to end road hunting on the day prior to deer season and then extend the pheasant season to the end of January.

LM

The feedback from the meeting suggests that we will need to give up road hunting in order to have a longer season. The majority of the complaints stem from two things.

1. Road hunters tend to frequently disturb pheasants in shelterbelts. This leads to the perception that the birds are at a huge disadvantage and that the pheasants cannot get any rest or shelter for the entire day due to frequent road hunters chasing them out.
2. The worry about safety to cattle and homes since many shelterbelts are close to farmsteads. Landowners worry that road hunters are unable to resist shooting at birds that are too close to cattle or farm houses.

For these reasons, I feel that we won't get a longer season until we abolish road hunting or limit it to the first couple weeks of the season. A good compromise would be to end road hunting on the day prior to deer season and then extend the pheasant season to the end of January.

LM

Landman, I can't disagree with any of your points and certainly like your proposal. Heck, I'd give up road hunting in a heartbeat for longer season.

Roadhunting just tempts too many people to violate the law. It (road hunting) is and will always be very controversial.

I'm sure this will come up next year. Probably have to get more extention of season though than 1 week to trade off the road hunting deal.

Landman, I can't disagree with any of your points and certainly like your proposal. Heck, I'd give up road hunting in a heartbeat for longer season.

Roadhunting just tempts too many people to violate the law. It (road hunting) is and will always be very controversial.

I'm sure this will come up next year. Probably have to get more extention of season though than 1 week to trade off the road hunting deal.

A huge hurdle to getting rid of road hunting is the waterfowl issue. It seems to me that we don't get many complaints about hunting ducks and geese from the road ditch. I suppose its due to the fact that most waterfowl hunters leave their cars far behind and sit in the ditch for extended periods whereas Pheasant hunters stop, shoot and leave quickly. Also waterfowl hunting from ditches is done in small selected places. In my opinion, if it wasn't for waterfowl hunting road hunting would have been illegal long ago. I hope that the commission can separate the two by eliminating road hunting for small game but leave it for waterfowl. If it can't be done then the increasing momentum to eliminate road hunting will apply to waterfowl hunting too.

LM

A huge hurdle to getting rid of road hunting is the waterfowl issue. It seems to me that we don't get many complaints about hunting ducks and geese from the road ditch. I suppose its due to the fact that most waterfowl hunters leave their cars far behind and sit in the ditch for extended periods whereas Pheasant hunters stop, shoot and leave quickly. Also waterfowl hunting from ditches is done in small selected places. In my opinion, if it wasn't for waterfowl hunting road hunting would have been illegal long ago. I hope that the commission can separate the two by eliminating road hunting for small game but leave it for waterfowl. If it can't be done then the increasing momentum to eliminate road hunting will apply to waterfowl hunting too.

LM

I don't see why not since it is not legal for deer hunting??

I don't see why not since it is not legal for deer hunting??

Seems logical to me too. Eliminate road hunting for pheasants but leave it for waterfowl, then extend the pheasant season to the end of Jan. That should make most folks happy enough.

Those late season hunts are, by far, the most enjoyable part of the pheasant season. It is truly a shame that the Commission is unable to reach an equitable solution other than to close the season.

LM

Last edited:
Road Hunting for waterfowl

I don't think anyone would advocate losing access to the road ditches within the rights-of-way for pheasant hunting. If this is what you are proposing as eliminating Road Hunting for pheasants I don't think it would fly.

How do people "Road Hunt for waterfowl?

I've seen plenty of goose hunters lying in the ditch waiting for the geese to fly over so that they can pass shoot them. I don't think that is viewed as Raod Hunting at all.

The road hunting i believe most fiond objectionable is the 55mph sneak followed by the shots from the vehicle into the safety zone etc.....

Got to be careful about loss of access in the rights-of-ways as for many that is their only place to hunt.

I can see further restrictions on the vehicle based road hunting but not on the ditch walking.

Gotta agree with ya there Chris. I've got no use for road hunting, so if it really is the primary obstacle to a longer season, then I'd vote to 86 it too. But I suspect land and preserve owners would just come up with another reason to "persuade" the comission to vote down a season extension.

Gotta agree with ya there Chris. I've got no use for road hunting, so if it really is the primary obstacle to a longer season, then I'd vote to 86 it too. But I suspect land and preserve owners would just come up with another reason to "persuade" the comission to vote down a season extension.

I'm thinking that if road hunting were to be eliminated the commission would be willing to extend the season. What seems to connect with the commission members is the disruption to winter pheasant habitat from road hunting and complaints about late season road hunters shooting too close to farmsteads and cattle lots.

Consider that the vast majority of late season road hunters are likely not willing to bundle up and walk miles through snow drifts in subfreezing weather for a chance to shoot a rooster. Consider that it is a much easier to get permission to hunt from landowners during the late season and the public areas can be good if willing to walk a long ways.

I think the commission sees the problem as too much irresponsible road hunting in January so instead of eliminating road hunting they take the easier route and simply close the season earlier. Unfortunately, the commission isn't going to want to see a proposal to extend the season next year unless we can offer something to show that the problem with road hunters is resolved.

LM

Last edited:
I don't think that any law is going to do away with road hunting, especially where it is an established "tradition" like in S.D. Road hunting is illegal in MN, and it happens quite a lot. Road hunting for deer in SD is illegal, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me a majority of the deer harvested in SD came from road hunting. Ban road hunting for pheasants and the same knuckle heads that road hunt deer and execute the ol' 55 to 0 mph stop and pop of pheasants will keep at it, while the guys that get out and walk section lines will be out in the cold. I don't have a say in SD anymore, but I'd be against any law that further restricted hunting opportunities. I can empathize with the landowner that deals with true road hunting related problems, but those problems won't go away with any road hunting ban. Unfortunately, the land owners need to police their property against illegal acts much the same way as any landowner does for trespassing, as frustrating as that can be. However, I wouldn't find it too surprising to learn that the same group of landowners or type of landowners involved in the latest road hunting court challenge are now involved in holding a longer pheasant hunting season captive. SDGFP has a long history West River of kowtowing to a few well organized landowners (who it would never be able to please). It wouldn't be surprising to see the same treatment given East River.

I believe the days of road hunting for pheasants in South Dakota are numbered for the following reasons:

1. Landowners and the non-hunting general public are becoming increasingly intollerant with road hunting.
2. I don't think the unarmed retrieval provision on private land would stand up in court if challenged.
3. Sportsmen in general are becoming more focused on the hunting experience rather than the harvest. Case in point is all the deer stands that are showing up everywhere in eastern SD.
4. Now it appears the Commission isn't willing to increase the hunting season because of complaints about road hunting.
5. Fewer hunters are actually road hunting anymore, at least during the early season.
6. Cell phones make it easier to turn in violators and more landowners are willing to call the authorities when violations occur.

I realize that a lot of deer get shot by road hunters every year but I also think that it is becoming less common. With cell phones and deer blinds going up everywhere it is becoming increasingly risky to road hunt deer without getting caught.

I also believe that if road hunting were eliminated and the season extended we would not see any reduction in the pheasant harvest. Hunters would simply adjust and work harder at gaining access to land.

LM

Last edited:

I agree with this 100%. Roadhunting was the whipping boy this year. Previously it was "The season is long enough and we are tired of answering the door." The landowers do not want a longer season. Period.
________
Ford 7W

Last edited:
Good posts on this topic. I'd like to get more involved in this subject next year.

Just from the posts here you can tell why this will be tough to move in either direction.

We might have to hire Omsrud to help represent us.

Bigjohns question about "what is waterfowl roadhunting?" was interesting. Laying in a ditch is exactly that, roadhunting. Any lawful hunting from a public right of way is road hunting.

One of my perceptions of roadhunting came from hunting deer in MN. We would be on our 40 acres and sitting in stands until about 9-10am. Then we would go out to road and get some coffee. We always observed the usual suspects just driving around looking for deer. I suppose that is some peoples form of "hunting".

Kinda like shining deer in Wisconsin. It is tradition and perfectly legal within legal limits and boundaries.

I can see no reason why road hunting can't have varies managed limits like Landman suggested.

Bottom line is that road hunting is not a very "green" way to hunt.

It was Nov 30 1997 and I was hunting pheasants like I usually do, by walking. My notes from that day says that I walked about five miles and did not harvest one bird. It was very cold and windy with a few inches of snow on the ground but I set out anyway to walk the fencelines and creeks. I did not have any CRP then or a dog so was hunting solo. The conditions were such that I was not able to get close to any birds that day. Finally I had enough of the harsh conditions and started walking to the vehicle and just before I got to it I heard a couple of shots, I turned around to see a road hunter crawling over my fence about 3/8 of a mile away to retrieve a bird he had just shot over my land. My first thought was "what the chit, that guy did not earn that bird".

Most road hunters try to portray a person walking the ditches with a dog but in reality most birds are taken by hunters jumping out of a vehicle for a quick shot. Sometimes a person might see a hunter walking the ditches but I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing this after Thanksgiving. It is extremely rare to see anyone walking ditches in December or January and never when the ditches are filled with snow. Keep in mind that it's only been in recent years that the pheasant season has been open so late in the year. The later the season the more irritating road hunting is to the landowner.

I believe that most of the irritation to landowners is caused by road hunting issues. Eliminating road hunting doesn't affect the true sportsmen at all and might, in fact, give them more opportunities for access and longer seasons. For those that prefer to drive around in the comfort of their vehicles while pheasant hunting, well those days may soon be over.

I am a member of the Farm Bureau and am always amazed that they support closing the pheasant season by December 1. This is in their policy statements they send out each year. They also propose eliminating road hunting. Now I see how the two policies are tied together.

A lot of non-landowners may not realize what landowners go through because of road hunting. A good example, when I decide to put in a food plot, a wildlife planting or some other wildlife planting, I aways try to plant it as far away from the road as possible. Why, because it needs to be far enough away so the road hunters don't bother it. Why pay good money to develop habitat for wildlife if the roadhunters are just going to chase the birds out of it all day long. I'm pissed because I can't use my property to it's fullest potential. I'm sure other landowners feel the same way.

We did not get the season extended because too many folks objected to it, maybe roadhunting will get eliminated for the same reason. I'm guessing that it won't be long.

LM

Last edited:
If eliminating road hunting will get the season extended I'd be for it. I haven't shot a bird off the road in many years. I'd much rather be in the field with my dogs and shooting them over a nice point.

However, there are those individuals that still enjoy getting out and harvesting a pheasant or two that for various physical reasons just can't walk a field. So road hunting is their only option. Eliminating road hunting would probably take them out of the game.

Road hunting for big game in South Dakota has been banned for quite some time but it still doesn't stop it from happening. I see it happening nearly every year. This past season a guy I know came upon a hunter standing in the middle of the road firing his rifle down a corn row at deer. He got the license plate number and discription of the pickup and called it into TIPS. A conservation officer came out, confronted the hunter and got a confession. But apparently, the hunter had connections in Pierre and got the charges dropped. Now that's BS! How are we going to stop these guys if the state won't prosecute?

We (group of 4 Minnesotans) road hunt every late Nov/Dec/Jan and yes, this is walking ditches. We RARELY see a rooster along side of the road that offers a shot after 10:a.m. And we drive ALL OVER several prime counties throughout a given day from one public spot to another. Sure if we see one, we might try to sneak it - but rarely it works. I have a hard time believing these cagy late season birds are offering that many opportunities to the unethical hunter slamming on the brakes and shooting out the door.

Note how No. Dak. started to treat waterfowlers 10 years ago - if you take the ditches away - Kansas here I come.

If the preserve owners/operators are banking on that one week they probably shouldn't be in business anyways...because that week of hunting isn't gonna make or break the bank...and most preserves that I know of don't have much for hunting going on that week anyways it usually don't start up again til the middle of feb, at least at the preserves I have worked at

Last edited:
Back