Leads for Labrador

Danimarie

Hey everyone! I am currently starting my research on finding a new lab puppy but it has been a bit overwhelming as there are so many breeders and so many opinions!

Right now I think I've settled on going with a lab from a British working line. I currently live in Idaho but am willing to travel.

If there are any recommendations for breeders or what to look for on the breeders sights that would be awesome!

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am currently starting my research on finding a new lab puppy but it has been a bit overwhelming as there are so many breeders and so many opinions!

Right now I think I've settled on going with a lab from a British working line. But I am also wary of getting a lab that is solely for field trials and can't actually meat hunt. I currently live in Idaho but am willing to travel.

If there are any recommendations for breeders or what to look for on the breeders sights that would be awesome!

Thank you so much!
OK GUESS I’LL OPEN THE CAN OF WORMS—
I don’t know how many times over the years I’ve heard some supposed (ie self appointed expert) spew the bu#@!!!! . That those field trial/hunt test competition dogs are only good for completion—what a total bunch of cr@#
Goes right with the jerk off who says those trial dogs that can do the long long marks and blinds—are no good for REAL HUNTING??Guess if they can do a 300-400 mark/blind with technical issue thrown in—THEY ARE SOME HOW UNABLE TO PICK UP A MUCH SHORTER BIRD WHILE HUNTING-@###3
My response to that when heard is that—I’ve heard that a lot—from people- that dont have the knowledge or quality of dog to reach that level
WELL—!! could go on but- the above should be enough to bring out the (Wild Rose—-canoe labs-pink Chablis color-Fox red types-ect.—types)

By the way back to the original question—
I do know of a excellent repeat breeding of yellow litter on the ground in Mn.
Dogs from previous litter have been easy to train-done well in hunt tests-and I took one to South Dakota for 6 weeks this year who turned into a outstanding pheasant dog in ver short order-OH!!WAIT!!— Is that possible with a completion 🐶??👿
Been impressed enough with previous litter I will be getting one of this litter-
p.m. Me if you want more information

OK GUESS I’LL OPEN THE CAN OF WORMS—
I don’t know how many times over the years I’ve heard some supposed (ie self appointed expert) spew the bu#@!!!! . That those field trial/hunt test competition dogs are only good for completion—what a total bunch of cr@#
Goes right with the jerk off who says those trial dogs that can do the long long marks and blinds—are no good for REAL HUNTING??Guess if they can do a 300-400 mark/blind with technical issue thrown in—THEY ARE SOME HOW UNABLE TO PICK UP A MUCH SHORTER BIRD WHILE HUNTING-@###3
My response to that when heard is that—I’ve heard that a lot—from people- that dont have the knowledge or quality of dog to reach that level
WELL—!! could go on but- the above should be enough to bring out the (Wild Rose—-canoe labs-pink Chablis color-Fox red types-ect.—types)

By the way back to the original question—
I do know of a excellent repeat breeding of yellow litter on the ground in Mn.
Dogs from previous litter have been easy to train-done well in hunt tests-and I took one South Dakota for 6 weeks this year who turned into a outstanding pheasant dog in ver short order-OH!!WAIT!!— Is that possible with a completion 🐶??👿
Been impressed enough with previous litter I will be getting one of this litter-
p.m. Me if you want more information
Hello,
I apologize for the misinformation. I read that on an article and saw it on a couple of these threads when trying to research and that was a concern that came up in some articles and threads. Thank you for the further education about these field trial labs. 😊
As I said I am still in the early phases of research and do not mean to offend anyone as I am trying to learn.

Danimarie—Please don’t take me wrong—I was not being anyway critical of you or your search for information—just wanted to make you aware of some of the b.s. some might come up with😀
‘In fact I admire you request for information on your search.
Good luck-
p.m. me if you want information on that litter—but there are only males left if you were looking for a female

Check out Double TT British labs out of Kansas. I have a 14 month female that I use for upland bird hunting. She has an exceptional nose, retrieves all birds to hand and is a great house dog and companion.

Attachments

• _CSC0316.JPG
    _CSC0316.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 6
My son has two Double TT labs. One is 7 the other coming up on 3. I've hunted the older one in SD and she does very well. Great nose, easy to handle even though she hasn't had much formal training. He's just too busy with his business. The second one is really just a family dog; no real field training but she has a strong retrieving drive. Both very calm in the house, well-mannered enjoyable dogs. I helped him pick the litters on both dogs and there were some good true English kennels in all generations on the pedigree.

That was when Haynes Floyd was running the show. Haynes retired in 2020 and sold the operation to Cory Doudican who moved the operation from west of Hutchinson to Emporia. Looking at the Sires and Dams, it seems Doudican is continuing to deliver some good English line pups.

For me personally if I was looking at Double TT, I'd favor a pup out of an imported English sire and dam.

Sires like Adam, Spud, Sam for example. Teddy would also be great but he's old and they no longer regularly use him at stud. They (I believe) import frozen semen from Ace, Beiley, Del and Roy. My choice there would definitely be Beiley (won the 2016 National Championship) as I'm a yellow lab guy. Del and Roy are also well-known, very highly respected dogs.

As for a dam, I think his Harper, Ira, Lulu would be of interest to me. Those have more direct links to English lineage.

A note on English hip scores. They score each hip separately and numerically. The lower the number the better. The best possible score would be 0/0. In general, I was told to look for a total hip score that added up to single digits. So a 3/5 = 8 and that's pretty good hips. Again, the lower the better.

One other note. The lady that mentored me and taught me about English Labs and kennels did not like Irish Labs. While they are considered UK labs by most, she felt that there temperament was not as good/desirable as the English stock. Differences in selection for breeding traits according to her. So if you see IRFTCH, that's an Irish Field Trial Champion. My mentor would immediately pass on that, LOL. That said, I owned an Irish bitch out of the 1996 Irish National Champion. She delivered some great Labs for myself and my friends. So, you pays your money and takes your chances. ;)

Great post on Double TT. My dog came out of Adam and Rags. If I was younger I would get another but for now I have an English Pointer and her to keep me busy....great fun. Tom

I was never really that impressed with their dogs when I visited. Not great facilities either but I only looked at the place where Haynes lived, and not the one near emporia. I am sure they do produce some good dogs though. Personally if I was looking for a topnotch hunting dog, I would visit Cashman or Holzinger Kennels.

Not sure if he's breeding dogs anymore but I have two of his labs and I know of several people that also has his dogs. Wonderful line of dogs and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. One thing nice is he delivers his dogs personally doesn't matter where you live. He's located out of Texas.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/KenswoodKennel/

I would suggest a different approach. Start by trying to find a dam or sire you like by attending HT's, FT's, and upland hunts and watching LOTS of dogs run.. Then contact the owners to see if they have any breeding's planned. It sounds like a lot of work but you will meet a ton of dog people, get a more advice then you may want. But you will enjoy the time with like minded people.
Geographically this might be challenging if there aren't many events in your region. Start by checking Entry Express and Hunt Secretary to see what's available.
Good Luck!
PS A lot of the British jargon is just sales, and marketing hype. Buy a Labrador from health tested, performance proven parents and don't worry about the American British war.

Impressive kennel. Sending the dogs back to England to compete is serious business. Hip scores are all very, very good. Sounds like they are absolutely doing it right.

They are really great for family and field. Enjoy.
He has got it all. The perfect looks, great temperament, and tremendous ability in the field. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

How old is he? How far along is their "started" designation? Ms. Latham clearly knows what's required; her having made up that many FTCH/FTW is quite an endorsement.

The Von Der Burg Clam and Ragweeds kennel lines appear to have roots in Austria. New to me, but good dogs can be whelped anywhere. I see several highly respected kennels from the UK in the pedigrees too.

Very handsome Labs.

Back