Know how to ask.

I'm also just back from two weekends in SD, where I was trying to help with harvest that isnt going so well as the crops are just not drying. So instead, we did maintenance on equipment, moved equipment around, spread 7 loads of gravel, installed 60 feet of radiant heat in a new shop, etc. I did have a 5 day license to hunt. I hunted Thursday afternoon before anyone else showed up to work. and a couple hours Sunday morning, before I decided to go fishing instead since the weather was so nice. It truly sucked to be that nice out and not be able to turn a wheel in regards to taking the crop out with no drying capabilities..Now, this is a established relationship, but one that I nurture to the best of my ability.

Back in my glory days, I would ask to hunt anywhere and everywhere if I wanted to hunt it. I got turned down some, but I got let go more times than not. Alot of those cold calls,(ill never call or text to ask permission unless the relationship is already secure) turned into life long friendships, or which at this point in time, I have outlived most of those contacts. Plus, almost every piece of ground I earned permission on, is now DNR or federal land. The older I get, the less likely I am to ask, so there fore, I do less hunting and more fishing.. Two experiences stand out, actually 3. One has to do with pheasants.. I asked permission for a couple years in a row and got turned down, then I asked if I could hunt coyotes and that got my foot in the door... for good. But, if I went there when he wasnt busy, I had to take him hunting with me. :) Another situation centered around asking to hunt a fox on a piece of land back in the early 80s . Knocked on guys at 10:30 am on a saturday. Told him there was a fox out in his section and asked if he minded if I went out to try to get it. His face turned a Heinz Ketchup red, and he started poking me in the chest, saying no, absolutely not, and if you do go I'm going to call the sheriff. I proceeded to tell him that a simple no was sufficient, and Id be on my way. One other "situation" revolved around asking for another fox. About 830 on a saturday, I was met by the lady of the house at the front door, fresh out of the shower, if you get my drift.. She did have a gown on, but it left little to the imagination.. I drive by there occasionally and :)
I understand why some farmers are irritated by pheasant hunters asking permission, but not all hunters are pay hunters.You have to knock on doors.Calling is impersonal when you don't know the people.All you can do, is ask, and if you are alone, you have a chance.Leave a 6 pack of pbr, or a steak.That will suffice.

Last season I called a someone who owns a piece of land and manages another piece of land, both with good cover grass, both of which abut a crop field I hunt. I left a message with some details, what we (three of us) wanted to hunt, and to what extent, and waited for a reply. He never called back. But he sent a message. The next day we found fresh stripes of purple paint on what we sought permission to hunt on. Very clear response. :( Oh well.

Last edited:
Last season I called a someone who owns a piece of land and manages another piece of land, both with good cover grass, both of which abut a crop field I hunt. I left a message with some details, what we (three of us) wanted to hunt, and to what extent, and waited for a reply. He never called back. But he sent a message. The next day we found fresh stripes of purple paint on what we sought permission to hunt on. Very clear response. :( Oh well.
I've found a few good places, by getting permission on their neighbors land, or in the general vicinity.I get the angry farmer senerio. Sometimes they are not very nice, for whatever reason. It takes years, to get good at getting permission. I used to hunt with this country bumkin type dude, and he was good at getting permission. Sometimes he would talk too much, and screw it up.But yeah, if it's good, I'll leave a few beers, if I have any.They usually don't want birds, so offer a steak.They don't want help on the farm usually. I got a guys truck running one time.That dude has great land!

Here in Iowa, where I live and grew up, I have known many of the farmers/landowners all my life, makes it easy getting pheasant ground. When I go out to find prairie dawgs in NW SD, stopping at ranches, you find some of the finest folks you can imagine. It likely helps that I grew-up on a farm and enjoy talking farming/ranching with the folks. After finding a good dawg town (or pheasant filled waterway) I will offer to take the owners out for supper, they usually decline, so they get a gift certificate they can use at the local restrauant/watering hole on their schedule along with a message that we would like to return next year. Have made some great relationships over the years. If the rancher likes you, he will get you in with other ranchers. Be nice and friendly and if you get permission, leave the gates as you found them, don't leave trash behind, let the the owner know how you did and thank them again. Seems very obvious, I guessing this is pretty much what everyone basicaly does that has any success.

Remember that often the farms with great bird habitat, has that because they and their family are avid hunters, and they worked hard to create it, so don't take the it personal if they don't give permission.

One post here reminded me of a sign on a ranch in SD, it read "If you have never worked on this ranch, don't ever bother asking to hunt here." If you have seen this guy's sign, you were off the hard surface a few miles.

Here in Iowa, where I live and grew up, I have known many of the farmers/landowners all my life, makes it easy getting pheasant ground. When I go out to find prairie dawgs in NW SD, stopping at ranches, you find some of the finest folks you can imagine. It likely helps that I grew-up on a farm and enjoy talking farming/ranching with the folks. After finding a good dawg town (or pheasant filled waterway) I will offer to take the owners out for supper, they usually decline, so they get a gift certificate they can use at the local restrauant/watering hole on their schedule along with a message that we would like to return next year. Have made some great relationships over the years. If the rancher likes you, he will get you in with other ranchers. Be nice and friendly and if you get permission, leave the gates as you found them, don't leave trash behind, let the the owner know how you did and thank them again. Seems very obvious, I guessing this is pretty much what everyone basicaly does that has any success.

Remember that often the farms with great bird habitat, has that because they and their family are avid hunters, and they worked hard to create it, so don't take the it personal if they don't give permission.

One post here reminded me of a sign on a ranch in SD, it read "If you have never worked on this ranch, don't ever bother asking to hunt here." If you have seen this guy's sign, you were off the hard surface a few miles.
Some people can't afford a gift certificate, but that's a nice gesture. I use a camper when I hunt, saves in gas, and chow
I don't know anything about ranching. You sir, are very lucky to have connections

Some people can't afford a gift certificate, but that's a nice gesture. I use a camper when I hunt, saves in gas, and chow
I don't know anything about ranching. You sir, are very lucky to have connections

Anybody can afford a $50 gift certificate to the local restaurant.... Skip your $1 coffee each day for the next 50 days. Don't eat out for the next 6 months, plan ahead and pack your own meals for your hunting trips, lunch at work, etc. There's literally 10 million ways that somebody could save money to purchase a gift certificate to gain bird hunting access. Heck, maybe that hunting access you gained saves you $50 in gas money for your next trip because you don't have to travel as far.

Reminds me of a coworker who once asked me for $30 to purchase a Christmas Tree for her so when her grandkids come over for Christmas they won't be disappointed. The same coworker also showed up to work everyday with gas station coffee and donuts for herself, and went to the gas station for lunch. That's at least $10 a day right there. You can buy a dozen eggs at Kwik Trip for $0.49, Bananas for $0.29/pound, and make your own coffee at home. A few eggs, a banana, your own brewed coffee would cost you $.04 per egg, $0.10 banana, and maybe $.50 per coffee. Your own (healthier) breakfast each day for less than a buck... Plan ahead and make your own lunches will save you another several bucks. All adds up in the long run. If you can save $10 a day on food every day for 365 days = $3,650 in savings per year. That's $36,500 in 10 years. Now invest it, add in compounding interest, and you have your own hunting cabin or piece of land when you retire. Now found dozens of other areas in your life where you can cut back spending the same way.

Last edited:
Anybody can afford a $50 gift certificate to the local restaurant.... Skip your $1 coffee each day for the next 50 days. Don't eat out for the next 6 months, plan ahead and pack your own meals for your hunting trips, lunch at work, etc. There's literally 10 million ways that somebody could save money to purchase a gift certificate to gain bird hunting access. Heck, maybe that hunting access you gained saves you $50 in gas money for your next trip because you don't have to travel as far.

Reminds me of a coworker who once asked me for $30 to purchase a Christmas Tree for her so when her grandkids come over for Christmas they won't be disappointed. The same coworker also showed up to work everyday with gas station coffee and donuts for herself, and went to the gas station for lunch. That's at least $10 a day right there. You can buy a dozen eggs at Kwik Trip for $0.49, Bananas for $0.29/pound, and make your own coffee at home. A few eggs, a banana, your own brewed coffee would cost you $.04 per egg, $0.10 banana, and maybe $.50 per coffee. Your own (healthier) breakfast each day for less than a buck... Plan ahead and make your own lunches will save you another several bucks. All adds up in the long run. If you can save $10 a day on food every day for 365 days = $3,650 in savings per year. That's $36,500 in 10 years. Now invest it, add in compounding interest, and you have your own hunting cabin or piece of land when you retire. Now found dozens of other areas in your life where you can cut back spending the same way.

That's actually a good idea.I found a ranch near Roy, Montana that is great pheasant hunting! The owner, is a drinker, so I bought him a bottle of Johnny Walker Red about a month ago. He really appreciated that gift, so every time I go there, I leave some kind of gratuity. These ranchers in Montana, don't Bird hunt.They don't have interest in birds.They are feeding cattle, doing ranch chores, all kinds of stuff . When they see you pull in, I'm sure they are thinking, " great, another hunter ". They get irritated , and they just say no, no matter who you are, or how you approach them.I found a place near Sidney, Montana this fall, that was excellent hunting.I just knocked on every single door I drove by.It took most of the day, I was alone, in my 72 F100 4x4. Now I knew, eventually, that one of these guys would let me hunt.Now these fancy farms, owned by these bushwa types from back East? Don't even ask.No way are they letting a knock on door, guy on.

Oh!!! Good Lord—You can afford to travel and hunt—but not afford a decent thank you —for those that make it possible!!

Seems you were the person trying to get people to go to Canada with you—one prerequisite was no “tight wads” —ever occur to you that maybe people like you p@#$ land owners off—and may even lead to making them more liable to lease there land out to reasonable person or group?

Oh!!! Good Lord—You can afford to travel and hunt—but not afford a decent thank you —for those that make it possible!!

Seems you were the person trying to get people to go to Canada with you—one prerequisite was no “tight wads” —ever occur to you that maybe people like you p@#$ land owners off—and may even lead to making them more liable to lease there land out to reasonable person or group?

really! don't be a tight ass and expect something for nothing........show your appreciation!

Hey I wish SD was a $40 - $50 gift certificate pay to play state, but in reality we all know many want $100 - $150 per day ... Each !

Try do that with a couple kids. No thank you.

Flip side is true also. I have run into some rather ornery and down right strange farmers out there. Banjo plays in the background. There were farms that my brother refused to visit or even call during hunting season because the guy was so darn angry or odd. But I get it. Farming can be a very difficult lifestyle often with high stress, loneliness, debt, divorce, family in-fighting (often your business partners) and alcoholism to name a few.

Hunters also rarely know what prior experiences the landowner has had (recent or long ago) with other hunters. Politeness can be a two-way street.

In Montana, people live WAY OUT IN THE BOONIES!!!!! Some of them are a little, or a lot, off kilter.Ive knocked on doors of places right out of the movie, Deliverance.

Hey I wish SD was a $40 - $50 gift certificate pay to play state, but in reality we all know many want $100 - $150 per day ... Each !

Try do that with a couple kids. No thank you.
I totally agree.Thats outrageous gouging.Ive never paid to hunt
My dad has twice, both times in South Dakota. I would pay 10 dollars to get on a good place.150 bucks!!! Hell no!! I can get excellent hunting for free, on private land.

For the life of me, I can't imagine paying to pheasant hunt in SD. Public land is so good. I've got a couple private spots there, and they're great. But I want to hunt for more than 1 hr each day.

Mallards and geese in a cornfield...that might be a different story.

For the life of me, I can't imagine paying to pheasant hunt in SD. Public land is so good. I've got a couple private spots there, and they're great. But I want to hunt for more than 1 hr each day.

Mallards and geese in a cornfield...that might be a different story.
Oh yes, private farms that only take an hour to hunt. I have several.Sometimes good, sometimes not.Public land in montana, is not as good as South Dakota public land. I've never paid to hunt geese. I'm against paying to hunt, that is all.

While I am against paying $150+ per gun/day to hunt private land. SD has tremendous bird populations on public land that are good enough for 1-3 man limits nearly every day. I am not against building connections over time and paying them back in some form, as you slowly accumulate private land for you to hunt. Every few trips I seem to make another connection for a small piece of private land, usually nothing more than a small tree line, slough, etc. that doesn't take long to hunt. Something to add to the hunting if you are on a slow day or near the area on public land. While the landowners are not charging, I think that is where the small contribution of a gift card, homemade canned good, purchasing something from them if they own a little store or sell some type of good or product, etc. is appropriate. There's a difference between you paying them for them to make revenue, or you giving them a small token of appreciation.

And that said, there is nothing wrong with the people who charge big money to hunt their land. They own the land, they pay taxes on the land, they maintain the land. All of that takes time, effort, and money on their behalf. If I were to pay that much to hunt, I would just expect them to have enough land for me to hunt an entire day and a realistic chance at seeing birds if I do my part and shoot straight with good dog work.

While I am against paying $150+ per gun/day to hunt private land. SD has tremendous bird populations on public land that are good enough for 1-3 man limits nearly every day. I am not against building connections over time and paying them back in some form, as you slowly accumulate private land for you to hunt. Every few trips I seem to make another connection for a small piece of private land, usually nothing more than a small tree line, slough, etc. that doesn't take long to hunt. Something to add to the hunting if you are on a slow day or near the area on public land. While the landowners are not charging, I think that is where the small contribution of a gift card, homemade canned good, purchasing something from them if they own a little store or sell some type of good or product, etc. is appropriate. There's a difference between you paying them for them to make revenue, or you giving them a small token of appreciation.

And that said, there is nothing wrong with the people who charge big money to hunt their land. They own the land, they pay taxes on the land, they maintain the land. All of that takes time, effort, and money on their behalf. If I were to pay that much to hunt, I would just expect them to have enough land for me to hunt an entire day and a realistic chance at seeing birds if I do my part and shoot straight with good dog work.

good points, i agree.

You don't realize that all hunting will be pay hunting, in the future.Thumbs down!

Agree and disagree. Groups like Pheasants Forever are doing a tremendous job of purchasing land, restoring it to a habitat suitable for wildlife, then gifting it over to a state or federal agency. Across much of the pheasant region, there is more and more public land each year than the previous year. Each individual can do their small part by simply being a PF member. They are lobbying for all of us that don't have much of a voice, whether it is turning land public, fighting for state money to be spent on conservation, or getting in politicians ears in DC about things like CRP acres in the farm bill.

But yes, if bird numbers continue to decline, then it will be pay to play hunting. Probably on released birds. We can all do our part to help create or donate to habitat to prevent that from happening.

Back