keep an eye on them

Jubilee

It's hot, way too hot.

I came home Monday afternoon to find that the heat was just too much for my Jubilee. She had plenty of water and shade, but from what I could tell, it just got too hot for her. Half her pen was indoors and had a dirt floor, so she had deep holes dug to help keep her and my pointer (which was fine) cool

She had good run. Some of you had hunted around or over her, more of you at least knew of her, and alot of people had heard her name hollered over the years.

Now she is out keeping an eye on one of her favorite spots getting the scouting reports and waiting for me to show up.

I knew her days were coming to a close, but I really thought I had a couple more seasons, she was on the back side of her prime, but she still had plenty of fuel left in the tank.

Jubilee, I know your feelings so very well. I went through basically the same thing this spring. That is how Gunne my Brit pup came into my home. You have my condolences........Bob

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this, God Bless her, and you sir. Its always hard to lose a friend, and, to lose a good friend is worse. Hope you the best.:)

Not the way you want to come home! Sorry to hear the news!

Our best friends come and go to fast. You'll always have the memories. Just remember she had to live and die somewhere, and she was lucky it was with you. So sorry for your loss.

Losing a dog is a painful deal. But if it did not hurt so much you would not have had such a great dog.

Losing a dog is a painful deal. But if it did not hurt so much you would not have had such a great dog.

Could not have said it better. Sorry to hear what your dealing with. One thinks it won't get to you, but it always does. Glad you have so many great memories. Makes me think of a few dogs of the past with a smile. It can be hard to hold back a tear too.

Where to bury a Dog

I'm so sorry, I understand the feeling all too well, maybe this will help:

Where To Bury A Dog
There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

by Ben Hur Lampman

The Power of the Dog
by
Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passsion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Good Master's Good Dog's Time had Come

You provided well for your dog, but she had gathered the cares of many joyful years with you and finally had to say goodbye. In an ideal world, our dogs' lives would last as long as ours, our clocks ticking down in unison. I look at my young dog and know I will probably live to see him gone, a sad sad thought. But life is still sweet with pups, and your remaining dog needs to pass on its skills to a jumpy, furry youngster who will grow to be another valued companion in your life and in the field.

Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I know your pain I buried myt very first pointer last year that old man was awesomre I won my first field trial with him he always laid in the garden bye the strawberries so thats where he rests best crop ever was last year after we baried him maybe he was saying thank you

As I read all these article and poems about our dogs and as hard as I try. I still get all choked up and my eyes get watery. We do have a very soft spot for a dogs and just the thought of losing them. Bring pain to our hearts........Bob

Back