Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

Birdman2 I hope your not taking this as a personal assault on you because it’s not my intention. I hope I can be your age and still at it. But at the same time that’s why I get so defensive is because I want the opportunity to be your age and be still at it along with my kids and grandkids.

I agree to disagree. That is the issue I have is putting monetary value on certain things ruin it and make it impossible for others. I don’t know how it was possible for people to kill birds and game in the 80s and 90s without throwing house payments and other amounts at it. Whether your 900 or 90000 miles away if you want to hunt, go out days early and put the time and miles in knocking on doors and talking to locals and owners instead of throwing dollar bills at it for the certainty of buying the chance of shooting birds or other game.

I also agree to that it’s the American way, the richest, most wealthy, and most able to throw those house payments aka leases and trespass fees at our heritage will be the lucky few that are able to enjoy in the near future while the others who live in the area, drive and grade the roads everyday, teach the kids in the area, police your leases, are just forced out.

I know for most I’m speaking on def ears and will not change anything, but I hate the idea of just giving up and keeping quiet while something I was raised to love is being commercialized and taken away by the highest bidder. To everyone good luck out in the great state of KS. I hope when my 1 year old boy is old enough to tote around my old 20 gauge single shot that was passed on by my dad, we still have the opportunity or option to go chase a few birds.

I hope I’m never in a position where I need/want to charge for hunting on our land. That’s not what I’m about. Having said that, when I’m gone and the kids live 100s of miles away I wouldn’t be surprised if they would lease the hunting rights out, as a way to control access if nothing else.

Don’t our license fees amount to pay to hunt ?

Having both opportunities is best, some have the opportunity to scout, some don’t. If I drove a day to hunt I would want some assurances. More public land is always good. We did the Iowa walk-in program on our ground a few years ago, dropped it because of the amount of liter I found. That and some fellas had to walk right through the house yard because they didn’t want to walk around the grove. The building site was mapped out as not included. Blaze orange, guns and a dog right past our renter’s window, she wasn’t happy.

I remember 15 years ago when the Wildlife people started advertising bird hunting for Kansas. Buses of people would come out to fields to drive the birds. It was a slaughter. Several of us on this board tried to tell Wildlife what it was doing to bird counts and the image of hunters. All they were interested was the monies from out of state hunters. Now look where the situation is.

I remember 15 years ago when the Wildlife people started advertising bird hunting for Kansas. Buses of people would come out to fields to drive the birds. It was a slaughter. Several of us on this board tried to tell Wildlife what it was doing to bird counts and the image of hunters. All they were interested was the monies from out of state hunters. Now look where the situation is.
If you think this only started 15 years ago, you must be 15 years old. It really became a problem in 1995 when KS opened NR deer hunting. And really has nothing to do with buses coming to a field. They were doing that in the 60's and 70's. Some of our best years were 2003-2011. Those were the best numbers for pheasants we have had since the early 70's when I started hunting. If you are going to give information, please give accurate information. Non Resident Deer hunting and the change in deer management (resident and non resident) has lead to the leasing phenomenon that we have now, not pheasant hunting. And while I hate large groups walking a field, it has minimal effect on pheasant numbers. I think the beer and stupidity that goes along with large groups hurts us all when it comes to access. They always leave behind clues and evidence of where they have been.

Well misinformation doesn't help anyone. Deer hunting is what is declining access for other types of hunting. Habitat and weather is what effects bird numbers. Not buses of non resident pheasant hunters.

The days of kansas as a pheasant attraction are gone . The only reason people continue coming is a million and half acres of public hunting and a dual bag. Wpt will continue pumping money into the walkin and the quality will continue to decline. If someone is wanting to pay access instead of driving all day looking at 10 pieces of walkin to find 2 that are worth hunting so be it. I'm about there myself

Well misinformation doesn't help anyone. Deer hunting is what is declining access for other types of hunting. Habitat and weather is what effects bird numbers. Not buses of non resident pheasant hunters.
I'm sure of that, but buses of hunters don't help the image. I also can't imagine how when a large group comes out and decimates birds in a large crp field it would not hurt the population. But I am not a biologist.

Agree that misinformation is not helpful (though honest perceptions may vary). I'm not a deer hunter, so that may bias my perspective - but isn't the deer season in Kansas (at least, rifle season that I think most would participate in) quite short? Upland bird seasons, on the other hand, are fairly lengthy. Maybe KDWP should just set a gapped bird season, to allow you deer hunters the run of the state without interference from the rest of us? :)
Guess that sounds a bit selfish, when I lay it out in print - but might it actually improve access for bird hunters?

Agree that misinformation is not helpful (though honest perceptions may vary). I'm not a deer hunter, so that may bias my perspective - but isn't the deer season in Kansas (at least, rifle season that I think most would participate in) quite short? Upland bird seasons, on the other hand, are fairly lengthy. Maybe KDWP should just set a gapped bird season, to allow you deer hunters the run of the state without interference from the rest of us? :)
Guess that sounds a bit selfish, when I lay it out in print - but might it actually improve access for bird hunters?

Don’t see that changing anything. The problem as I see it is that the deer hunters that lease or buy land don’t want any other hunting done at any time of year because it might scare off that trophy buck. I personally think that’s ridiculous but it is the perception they have.

I personally don’t want to see more pay to play but don’t see much that is going to stop it and I’m certainly not going to bash someone that chooses that path. After all, at least for now this is still America and we are all free to choose our own path.

I hope I’m never in a position where I need/want to charge for hunting on our land. That’s not what I’m about. Having said that, when I’m gone and the kids live 100s of miles away I wouldn’t be surprised if they would lease the hunting rights out, as a way to control access if nothing else.

Don’t our license fees amount to pay to hunt ?

Having both opportunities is best, some have the opportunity to scout, some don’t. If I drove a day to hunt I would want some assurances. More public land is always good. We did the Iowa walk-in program on our ground a few years ago, dropped it because of the amount of liter I found. That and some fellas had to walk right through the house yard because they didn’t want to walk around the grove. The building site was mapped out as not included. Blaze orange, guns and a dog right past our renter’s window, she wasn’t happy.
Sorry that what most likely was a relative few bad apples ruined things for everyone (isn't that always the way?) but wasn't leasing ground to the Iowa walk-in program actually - charging for hunting on your land? Also, one hears it a lot, but not so sure how leasing to one individual or corporate entity really does all that much to control access, unless they have people on the grounds, 24/7 to police it. Unlikely, I think as they'd have no need to lease ground if they lived near plentiful good hunting in the first place.

I'd like to give Iowa a try some time, if possible. Do you currently allow access to your property for people (like those on this board) who are of a similar mind, and ask properly? Guaranteed - no littering from me, and I even pickup beer cans and the like that I come across.

Your kidding right? Deer season runs from the first week in September through mid January opposed to the second weekend of Nov. through January. Bow season see's the largest amount of hunters, especially with the any season tag and crossbows in the archery season now. Deer season is 5 1/2 months long. A split season would not change anything. Deer hunters who lease ground will never want you on their property. During the off season they have their "cheater feeders" going so they can tame the herd for the nearly 6 month long season.

Well on that beat to death land a resourceful hunter can still harvest quite a few birds .

If you would rather not put the work in driving around and asking for permission I would be happy to recommend a preserve or two that would have good birds and be pretty close to hunting wild ones .

Sorry that what most likely was a relative few bad apples ruined things for everyone (isn't that always the way?) but wasn't leasing ground to the Iowa walk-in program actually - charging for hunting on your land? Also, one hears it a lot, but not so sure how leasing to one individual or corporate entity really does all that much to control access, unless they have people on the grounds, 24/7 to police it. Unlikely, I think as they'd have no need to lease ground if they lived near plentiful good hunting in the first place.

I'd like to give Iowa a try some time, if possible. Do you currently allow access to your property for people (like those on this board) who are of a similar mind, and ask properly? Guaranteed - no littering from me, and I even pickup beer cans and the like that I come across.
The Iowa walk-in program gave the landowner no payments. It assumed liability is pretty much all. Leased ground is usually very well posted, and used during the seasons by the lessee. Wouldn’t need 24/7 supervision.

I never deny hunting permission unless someone else is already there, or if I have plans. No one has a good experience if there is conflict.

I should also add that if the birds are stressed by weather, lack of food or cover I will stop hunting, myself included. I don’t have a tremendous amount of acres, it could be easily hunted out. It doesn’t do anyone any good to put too much pressure on a piece.

Oh, and you need a dog.

Last edited:
The Iowa walk-in program gave the landowner no payments. It assumed liability is pretty much all. Leased ground is usually very well posted, and used during the seasons by the lessee. Wouldn’t need 24/7 supervision.

I never deny hunting permission unless someone else is already there, or if I have plans. No one has a good experience if there is conflict.
Excellent! Much appreciated. What is the best way to contact you?

Your kidding right? Deer season runs from the first week in September through mid January opposed to the second weekend of Nov. through January. Bow season see's the largest amount of hunters, especially with the any season tag and crossbows in the archery season now. Deer season is 5 1/2 months long. A split season would not change anything. Deer hunters who lease ground will never want you on their property. During the off season they have their "cheater feeders" going so they can tame the herd for the nearly 6 month long season.
No, not kidding. I had in mind, specifically, the rifle season (which is short) but it sounds like my bright idea is a dud in any event. A swing and a miss on my part.

Hard for me to get my head around the phenomenon that I do not doubt that you accurately describe. Personally- can't imagine getting more enjoyment from sticking a couple of deer (one shot and done) than, say, multiple days of exciting chances at as many as 4 pheasants and 8 quail. And not having to sit still to do it. Just out of curiosity, how much does a lease to ensure success cost, on average, per head? Might be a better deal just to buy a large rack on line - and just about as much fun (to me, anyway). AND no need to stick your arm up a deer's business all the way to your elbow. Different strokes .........

Back