Just Me & The Chickens

M. R. Byrd

I know some of you hunt the prairie grouse of the world. Here in my part of the world we have a small number of lesser prairie chicken(LPC). The LPC is a candidate for the endangered species list. I, along with other ranchers, do what I can to provide habitat to this magnificent bird. The last few days I have been kicking out a flock of about eighteen and today I had this one close to the tractor.

DSCF6740.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be coming to the Cedar Bluff area this Thanksgiving. We planned our trip last season so we would have a chance at some chickens, but we did not see any. That was my 1st trip to Ks. What specific habitat should we be looking for to have a crack at some? Will the dogs point them? Will they hold? Or should we set up in the evening and catch fly-bys?

Thanks for another great pic MR Byrd! I love seeing chickens though we have greaters (GPC) on this side of the state. We used to see them in larger flocks than we do now, but there is some sort of prarie grass initiative going on in the Flint Hills that encourages to set aside some of their tallgrass prarie for the birds. I have seen a bit of a rebound over the past couple of years. It's about time to go watch them do their mating dance again. Hopefully the flock we watched last year will be in the same place again:rolleyes:

Whitewater,

I saw a lot of chickens in Osborne county this past season. Chickens live in the tall grass (not necessarily talking about head-high CRP here) and seem to prefer bean fields in the winter, but will use milo. The dogs can and will point them if given the opportunity. NO, generally speaking, they don't hold very well at all. Based on my experience, you'll need the wind in your favor to get within 25 yards of em'. They're more approachable in the early season that comes in September if you really want to try to hunt them over dogs.

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

Nice Pic

Very nice photograph, sir. Thanks for improving habitat.

Excellent pic! I saw a few hundred prairie DOGS on my trip to Dodge last season but no prairie chickens. We even saw some armadillos. :confused::confused::confused: Prairie chickens would have been a better sight.:D

You need to leave the Wal-Mart parking lot, otherwise known as Prairie Dog Central, if you want to see more wildlife. :):):)

M.R. Byrd,
I'll be in your neck of the woods on Friday. I took the day off and will be headed to Hanston to pick up a mess of GSP puppies. Great pic and I will look for them when I get there.
JMc

Ah, new puppies. Nothing like a puppy. I would offer to buy dinner or supper, but I will be at the Ponderosa working my tail off. I owe you one.

Have fun with the puppies.

Maynard, I drove by your neck of the woods (grass) today and didn't see you anywhere. Ended up in Santa Rosa, N.M. for the evening. Great to be driving through pheasant country once again.

Bilbo,

You have to get off the beaten path, I mean well off the beaten path if you want to see me. Other than an infrequent mailman delivering bills, I can go days, sometimes weeks without seeing anyone(except rifle deer season).

I sure hope we can pull off a good hatch this year. The lesser prairie chicken have been exciting this year and just maybe it will be their year.

Catch up with me one day. I can be hospitable to the right people and you are one of the good guys.

Maynard, sorry I missed you when I drove through Dodge. I thought I saw you but it was a different fella, you move at nearly the speed of light. It would be my pleasure to drink some coffee and walk though some nice Kansas grass with you. Thanks for being so gracious !!!

I need to practice up on my salesmanship. My old Drahthaar is retired and I have yet to convince my wife of the need for a new dog.:(:(:(: Maybe if I was rich and/or good looking, she would be more willing, but I'm not either.

Back