Insulated vs Non Insulated

pheasantaddict

How do you prefer your pheasant boots insulated or non insulated? The boots I'm looking at don't have any insulation. If your actively walking will this be a problem in cold and snow say from zero to twenty degrees?

I dealing with the same decision. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Kenetrek Extreme boots and can't decide whether to get the 400 gr. insulated ones or the non-insulated. While I do have an elk hunt planned for this November the vast majority of my hunting is chasing pheasants. Temps here in South Dakota during pheasant season can range from 90 degrees to a minus 20. Of course the majority of the time the temps range is more like 20-50 degrees so I'm really leaning toward the non-insulated.

I never wear insulated boots for pheasants. I hunt until the last day of the season in some very cold weather.

I wear uninsulated until it gets to below freezing or maybe to 20 degrees or so, then switch over. Some places that are wet, just use barn boots and extra socks.

Last edited:
Insulated vs non...

Have worn uninsulated for years chasing pheasants in SD and MN. Vasque hiking boots with light weight socks and switch to wool later in the season. Feet are never cold...

I really think it's best to have the 2 pair of well broken in boots.
Warm weather with non insulated with good thinner socks. And insulated with good wool socks for the cold weather.

Last year i hunted the whole upland season with Goretex unisulated boots, inc North Dakota. i bought the Kenetrek unisulated boots for this season, after a few days in them i would never buy a pair of Danners again, i have a whole bunch of them now that i will never wear again, i have been wearing Danners excusivly for 20 years and now it will be Lowa or kenetrek. Also, your socks will play an important part, get the best ones you can find, i have been useing Thorlo light hikers in warm weather and their thicker ones in the cold, i also use boots with 400G ins in weather below zero, stay dry and keep moveing and there wont be a problem. I am going to buy the Kenetrek ins Mountain extreme shortly, these boots might look like overkill gor bird hunting but they are light and very suportive, i think they run just slightly small so try them on before buying.

Last edited:
I guess I go against the grain from all reports I hear. I don't get to hunt as much pheasant as I'd like, but do a LOT of grouse and woodcock hunting. I wear Lacrosse Alpha Burleys and couldn't be happier. I think they are insulated.

Last edited:
Non Insulated. Hunted until I could not walk threw the snow last year. My fingers are always the thing to get cold not my feet.

Non Insulated. Hunted until I could not walk threw the snow last year. My fingers are always the thing to get cold not my feet.
Amen Brother. My mission this summer is to find a better pair of gloves or a better glove system. Hunted in snow, heavy mist light rain and in single digit temperatures and my feet were fine but my hands and fingers gave me trouble.

I wear uninsulated with Goretex - I love my boots from LL Bean. I've hunted in September through late November with snow and ice, and have never had a problem.

I actually wear work and hunting shoes with 400 grams of thinsulate year round as I feel they help keep my feet warm in winter and cooler in summer. Also use goretex for drier feet and sometimes if real wet use insulated gum boots but they are not as good for your feet and legs. As far as hands go use Bob Allens insulated shooting gloves and they are satisfactory but still get cold hands if real cold but not as bad. Some people can handle temperature extremes better than others but always take good care of your canine friends.

I always go with non insulated, i have irish setter wingshooters and my feet never got cold all season no matter the temp or the amount of water or snow. if you have a good pair of waterproof pants i think that helps alot also i have the cabelas dri plus upland pants and love them, put the two together and you'll never be wet! now my hands thats a different story!!

If a hunter is going to have but one pair of huntin' boots, I'd get uninsulated. There are great socks that will keep your feet comfortable when it gets cold.

I agree with the majority of the people here. I have uninsulated and insulated both. The only time I wear the insulated is when I am going to be crossing creeks and frozen flooded areas because they are built to handle water where my uninsulated boots are not meant for much water.

Back