Hunting preserves and planted birds?

209hunter

Hey guys,
This fall is my springer pup's first hunting season and so far he did pretty well on doves, lots of work over the summer paying off :) I want to get him on as many birds as possible this season so Im thinking about buying a bird card at one of the local preserves. I read somewhere that you should stay away from planted birds like the plague because they act and smell nothing like wild birds. Unfortunately there's no more wild pheasant where im at anymore. Has anyone hunted their dogs on planted birds? How did it go and did it affect their abilities on wild birds later? Any input would be appreciated!

And here's a pic just to show him off, I wish I could shoot better lol

Nice looking pup and good taste.:cheers: Get him on some quail, plenty around. I'm assuming you're in the Merced area (maybe farther north?) There are wild birds around, I've seen them out by the college heading to McClure early morning and a few out east of Planada. Then there are the wildlife refuges out in Los Banos and the water treatment plant out by El Nido and more birds farther north at the NWRs. I think the Stockton sportsmen club runs an operation in Manteca that is pretty reasonable and a few on the westside of Merced co i believe. Planted birds won't hurt pup a bit, any bird contact can only help but there is a certain satisfaction, almost trophy like when I come out of a refuge with the only wild birds taken on the day. But for now think quail until pheasant season opens.:cheers:

Last edited:
yeah Im definitely planning on getting him on some quail and ducks this season too, I have a few spots that should be decent up here in the Tracy area. I have a spot in Merced too Im looking forward to try this year. I think Im still going to buy 20 chukar at Rooster Ranch in Newman just to increase his exposure. I know what youre saying about wild birds tho, definitely added satisfaction there. Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated!

I think that's a great plan. Pups first season should be fun for him and almost pull your hair out frustrating for you at times, I know my males first season was.:D Get that pup some bird exposure any way you can and he'll make you proud.:cheers:

To give you a glimmer of hope, I don't think I had a day on public land last year where I saw less than 5 pheasants. Some days they were all hens, some days all roosters, some days all out of range, some days all in one flush and some days i even managed to bag a few but they were there. Saw 20+ a few days too. That may not sound like alot but read some ofvthe Kansas (big pheasant state) boys reports from last year and it actually sounds pretty good. It wasn't like that my first season but as you learn the areas and the birds they start magically showing up.

Last edited:
nice dog. to me ,planted birds are better than no birds! enjoy all your hunting trips and experiences. the memories will be priceless,no matter where or what you hunt.

A bird is a bird! Planted pen raised birds help you train your dog. Trainers use pigeons all the time to train dogs. Even a dog who has only hunted grouse or quail can be dropped into a field with pheasants and that bird scent will turn them on. Get the pup on as many birds as possible, that is the best way to teach, train, observe, and correct behavior. Good luck.

A bird is a bird! Planted pen raised birds help you train your dog. Trainers use pigeons all the time to train dogs. Even a dog who has only hunted grouse or quail can be dropped into a field with pheasants and that bird scent will turn them on. Get the pup on as many birds as possible, that is the best way to teach, train, observe, and correct behavior. Good luck.

+1.

209hunter, You can't make a bird dog WITHOUT birds, plain and simple. Not all pen raised birds are created equal at least with Phez. Where I've gone the birds act very wild and if scratch hunting you will be hard pressed to tell any difference as these birds have had a day or more to acclimate themselves to their surroundings. They can and do bust wild on a dog who is bent on crowding them just as their wild cousins would do. Seen it many times.

If preserves are the only way to get your dog on birds consistently, then join a club as members usually have explicit rights to scratch hunt during the week. A Monday after a busy weekend of released birds can make for some very interesting scratch hunting all of which will act very wild.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys! Hopefully ill be posting up pics all season long with success stories for the pup!

Nice looking pup and good taste.:cheers: Get him on some quail, plenty around. I'm assuming you're in the Merced area (maybe farther north?) There are wild birds around, I've seen them out by the college heading to McClure early morning and a few out east of Planada. Then there are the wildlife refuges out in Los Banos and the water treatment plant out by El Nido and more birds farther north at the NWRs. I think the Stockton sportsmen club runs an operation in Manteca that is pretty reasonable and a few on the westside of Merced co i believe. Planted birds won't hurt pup a bit, any bird contact can only help but there is a certain satisfaction, almost trophy like when I come out of a refuge with the only wild birds taken on the day. But for now think quail until pheasant season opens.:cheers:

You forgot to tell him about the flags:D

209, any birds are better than no birds. Trust me your dog won't care where they came from

Back