Hunting in three states in one day! Can I do it?

You may want to consider being possession of that many birds. I know you can not fish both the ohio side and michigan side of lake erie in the same day and secure a limit in both. Your are restricted to the possession limit for your port of call. I have hunted in Iowa and than went to S Dak on same trip and if i remember correctly the Iowa birds counted against our possession limit S Dak.
SD regs state that birds legally taken in another state do not count against your SD possession limits, page 26 of 2020 regs. Not sure about the other states. I was concerned about this last year when i hunted Nebraska then headed to SD.

Goldenboy, I hunt NW Iowa a lot and also do two trips to South Dakota each year each year. The challenge that you put out there I don't think it could be done in one day just because of the drive time between fields. It could easily be doable over a weekend and sounds like a lot of fun! Iowa start time is not until 8:00 am even if you were able to 3 birds by 10:00 you would still have a 30 -45 minute drive to get into Minnesota and good luck finding Public ground that could produce 3 three roosters in a very short time. It sounds like you enjoy your pheasant hunting as much I as I do so maybe change your challenge up just a bit. Instead of hunting 3 different states in one day maybe go after three different upland birds in one day. My boys and I go after what we call the Royal Flush we take one week each year and start out Hunting Woodcock and Grouse in Northern Wisconsin drop into NW Iowa to chase Pheasant & Gray Partridge and then head southern Iowa to hunt Bob White Quail all on Public Land. Good luck with you hunt!

Goldenboy, I hunt NW Iowa a lot and also do two trips to South Dakota each year each year. The challenge that you put out there I don't think it could be done in one day just because of the drive time between fields. It could easily be doable over a weekend and sounds like a lot of fun! Iowa start time is not until 8:00 am even if you were able to 3 birds by 10:00 you would still have a 30 -45 minute drive to get into Minnesota and good luck finding Public ground that could produce 3 three roosters in a very short time. It sounds like you enjoy your pheasant hunting as much I as I do so maybe change your challenge up just a bit. Instead of hunting 3 different states in one day maybe go after three different upland birds in one day. My boys and I go after what we call the Royal Flush we take one week each year and start out Hunting Woodcock and Grouse in Northern Wisconsin drop into NW Iowa to chase Pheasant & Gray Partridge and then head southern Iowa to hunt Bob White Quail all on Public Land. Good luck with you hunt!
Open Ranger, I have secured some private land in Minnesota so I am still optomistic about at least shooting a bird in each state in one day.

Well guys, I guess I should report about the hunt. For my three state hunt in one day I would like to report that I was able to pull it off. I started in Iowa. I secured a private field that bordered the state of Minnesota and Iowa! Believe it or not this field had not been hunted yet this year. Iowa start time is 8 am. I stepped out of the truck and into the field at 8 am and withing 10 seconds the first rooster jumped up in front of me! First bird down within a minute of hunting! Followed the edge of cattails and corn field and jumped a few more. saw at the end of the field a little grove where birds were jumping around and flying and landing in the trees. I held the dogs at heel until I reached the grove then released them and the Iowa hunt was shortly over. Three birds in Iowa in 45 minutes. I waited until 9, jumped over the fence and hunted back to the truck on the Minnesota side. Saw many more birds but was having difficulty getting close enough. Ended up killing one in Minnesota on the way back to the truck. So now I have succesfully killed birds in two states already and it is just 11 am. I drove to another arranged spot in Minnesota but didn't see any pheasants so at about 1:00 I get back into the truck and head for South Dakota. I met up with a new friend from the forum A5 sweet sixteen. We met at a predetermined spot and headed to a couple of his sweet little spots. Found some birds and I actually hit one but it sailed and we never found it. So I was successful hunting three states in one day, shot birds in two states, ended up with four birds in one day. Lots of fun, but I was tired after that day. I want to try it again next year, anybody want to join me?

I can hook you up with Iowa birds, it you can do a Iowa-Nebraska-South Dakotal hunt. Look for Union Cty, SD and Dakota Cty NE opportunities. Maybe I will pull off a 3 county-3 bird limit here in Iowa on New Years Day...similar but on a much smaller scale...OK, not similar at all.

Good work GB!

I can hook you up with Iowa birds, it you can do a Iowa-Nebraska-South Dakotal hunt. Look for Union Cty, SD and Dakota Cty NE opportunities. Maybe I will pull off a 3 county-3 bird limit here in Iowa on New Years Day...similar but on a much smaller scale...OK, not similar at all.

Good work GB!
I like the thought of those three states as well. Lets talk!

I have to wonder, "Why?" This sounds a lot like the folks that "bag" multiple 14teeners (mountain peaks) in a day here in Colorado. They certainly can do it, but they never see where they are at, never stop to enjoy the view, the fresh air, whatever. I admire those folks for their physical conditioning and abilities, but not for what they are doing. To me, they miss the point of why we are out doing what we like. In the case of upland bird hunting, I personally wouldn't think of trying to limit out in 3 states, even if it was legal (I'm not sure it is), primarily because I would not enjoy the pressure of forced hunting. That said, to each his own. Best of luck and think of your dogs when you are doing this!

Well done Joel, sounds like you had a great day! Hell your next challenge will be MN, SD, IA and NE......go big or go home.....lol. What a great find in Iowa to find land not yet hunted this year.

Well done Joel, sounds like you had a great day! Hell your next challenge will be MN, SD, IA and NE......go big or go home.....lol. What a great find in Iowa to find land not yet hunted this year.
Yes indeed, well done!

Thanks for the update. I have been waiting to hear how that went for you. It has to be rewarding knowing that you had opportunities and success after careful planning. I am relatively new to this forum but appreciate the relationships that are fostered through it. It is awesome to that you were able to connect with A5.

I have to wonder, "Why?" This sounds a lot like the folks that "bag" multiple 14teeners (mountain peaks) in a day here in Colorado. They certainly can do it, but they never see where they are at, never stop to enjoy the view, the fresh air, whatever. I admire those folks for their physical conditioning and abilities, but not for what they are doing. To me, they miss the point of why we are out doing what we like. In the case of upland bird hunting, I personally wouldn't think of trying to limit out in 3 states, even if it was legal (I'm not sure it is), primarily because I would not enjoy the pressure of forced hunting. That said, to each his own. Best of luck and think of your dogs when you are doing this!
Jim, you assume I don't enjoy the outdoors? I am a middle aged chubby guy who loves to hunt upland game! The challenge was to complete the task now in life. I never want to get to an age and say I wish I would have tried that when I was younger. Yes it is legal to take game in different states in the same day as long as you have a valid license for each state. As for my dogs, they went on to hunt the next three days in South Dakota where our group shot 38 roosters in three days. They retrieved almost every bird that we shot. Oh and by the way one of the dogs came into season at the end of that week long trip and is now being bred to produce more great hunting dogs. I don't think I overworked her at all. My only regret was not being able to experience the whole event with a buddy. You see hunting to me is about sharing those experiences with my hunting friends. That is why I enjoyed my time with A5 in the end of the day. Hunting for some people is better alone, that is fine for them, I prefer to hunt with my friends and talk about the experiences that night over a nice dinner.

If you've got the time & like to hunt pheasants, why not?? When Joel first mentioned his hairbrained scheme, I immediately thought it sounded like a lot of fun. The logistics of pulling it off were fun for ME to think about, & it wasn't even my hunt. But it seemed like he might need some assistance. So I contacted him & it didn't take long to hatch a little plan for the end of his day. It was great to meet another guy & his dogs who love to hunt pheasants & love just being in the places pheasants live. I just wish I knew who tipped the birds off that we were coming that day.:mad:

Joel I think you need to try the MN, ND, SD trifecta on pheasants one day and walleyes the next... But seriously congrats on achieving a aggressive goal!

Back