Hunting in three states in one day! Can I do it?

bird cover is bird cover...neither it nor the birds nor the dogs understand state boundaries! I enjoy the hunting no matter...I enjoy the mental part of the hunt...look at the wind, know the situation with crops, the other sources of habitat, etc, and create a strategy! Hours afield are the goal, and a guy can run up against limits, so the ability to run across a state line is great...my last trip to SD (left 12/14 for home) was good enough that we could pretty much plan on a limit, but it was requiring a full day for 2 guys to do it...it was so warm several of the days that we took long breaks midday to let dogs cool off. I have heard about the pheasant hunting competitions...they are timed, you are limited in terms of shells, etc, etc, guys are RUNNING between birds flushed! You won't catch me doing that. I hunt to relax and enjoy myself...contests, competitions, etc, are a fact of life in many aspects of life, which I avoid at all costs if I can! Especially while bird hunting. I guess the "contest" I'm interested in is days afield in a given fall...especially days out of state (MT, ND, SD in my case). suspect after this next hunt I'll be pushing up against 50 days...well past 40, I know that much....

Jim, you assume I don't enjoy the outdoors? I am a middle aged chubby guy who loves to hunt upland game! The challenge was to complete the task now in life. I never want to get to an age and say I wish I would have tried that when I was younger. Yes it is legal to take game in different states in the same day as long as you have a valid license for each state. As for my dogs, they went on to hunt the next three days in South Dakota where our group shot 38 roosters in three days. They retrieved almost every bird that we shot. Oh and by the way one of the dogs came into season at the end of that week long trip and is now being bred to produce more great hunting dogs. I don't think I overworked her at all. My only regret was not being able to experience the whole event with a buddy. You see hunting to me is about sharing those experiences with my hunting friends. That is why I enjoyed my time with A5 in the end of the day. Hunting for some people is better alone, that is fine for them, I prefer to hunt with my friends and talk about the experiences that night over a nice dinner.
Well said Joel!

Back