Hunting Hutterite land?

goldenboy

Well guys, in doing my research I have found numerous Hutterite farms in the area I will be hunting. I have talked to a buddy who hunts their farms. He has a mixed review of them and their practices of allowing hunters on their land. Has anyone ever had any experience hunting any of their farms? I know we will probably have to pay, but is it worth it? Are they ethical and only allow your group on the farm for that day? Who do you seek out when asking permission? What is a typical daily fee? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have never hunted on the colony, but I do run into them quite a bit in the summer and early fall when they sell their items at roadside stands. I know some of them do hunt, but not big into birds I think. I wouldn't be afraid to bicker with them .......one hint, they cannot buy alcohol, but sure as heck will accept it from you

Can't get a Hutterite to lie or cheat with a gun to his head. I have found them to be honorable, honest, straightforward (if you have a problem with straight talk, steer clear). and stubborn. I gave a colony a commercial bread mixer several years ago, when the Grand Poo-Bah asked me what I wanted for it, I said "maybe I could come out for a pheasant hunt, someday"? It was three years before I made it there, he remembered me, let me hunt and sent me home with a bunch of yummy stuff. If you are the kind of person who always has to get the best of others, stay away. If you are a fair-minded person, have a good time. Can't speak to current habitat as I stay away from Central and Eastern SD, too many hunters, too many landowners to deal with, who think they own everything.

We have hunted their land. we stopped in to their corn drying operation and asked to hunt, signed a release and received a plat copy showing their land. now all their land is in walk in so no asking anymore.

Years ago (20-30) the Hutterite Colonys in the Aberdeen, SD area used to be very willing to let you hunt. Then they figured out, like most other farmers, that they could make some money by charging a fee. I haven't hunted on any Hutterite land in a long time so no idea what they may charge and I'm sure it varies by the Colony. Try to visit with the head person at the Colony. And like someone else said, bring a big bottle of some good whiskey and it will help your cause.

Well guys, in doing my research I have found numerous Hutterite farms in the area I will be hunting. I have talked to a buddy who hunts their farms. He has a mixed review of them and their practices of allowing hunters on their land. Has anyone ever had any experience hunting any of their farms? I know we will probably have to pay, but is it worth it? Are they ethical and only allow your group on the farm for that day? Who do you seek out when asking permission? What is a typical daily fee? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Your welcome for the tip on the colony's lol. Hope u do well leave the public for me lol

Up in Canada I've never had an issue getting access to Hutt lands. As long as you show respect to them and their land they welcome you with open arms. It blows my mind that you guys pay to hunt private land, It's illegal for land owners to take compensation up here. What kind of fees are expected to hunt for the day?

It is called CAPITALISM, it actually has worked quite well till this present administration, google Dakota Pheasant Hunting, and you'll see prices.

Up in Canada I've never had an issue getting access to Hutt lands. As long as you show respect to them and their land they welcome you with open arms. It blows my mind that you guys pay to hunt private land, It's illegal for land owners to take compensation up here. What kind of fees are expected to hunt for the day?

Alberta Jonny, while I haven't paid to hunt in Alberta I did give gifts to farmers who let us hunt their fields for geese. I have paid in Manitoba, is that only an Alberta law?

Your welcome for the tip on the colony's lol. Hope u do well leave the public for me lol

SMO I have hunted lots of public land in my day, and still do but my time is valuable to me. I only have so much vacation and I love to see birds, lots of birds. The area of the state I am looking to hunt in has limited public land and I am trying to make this a great trip for some guys who don't shoot birds very often. Some of these guys might need 8-10 shots at roosters to get their limit in a day.

I always thought it was a Canadian law, guess not. Our group has land owners that will not even accept a bottle of wine in fear of getting in trouble. We just help around the place to show our thanks in those cases. I have heard of land owners looking for compensation around here but its defiantly not legal and they can be reported.

Most colonies around me charge $100/gun/day. I don't know of any that let anyone hunt for free. Even locals here have to pay most times. Usually the farm manager or head elder will handle hunting. I had a group of 8 last year paid to hunt. 8 guys & 6 dogs. $800 bucks, killed 2 birds. Remember you are paying for access, not birds. Others have had good hunts, so can be hit or miss, & depend on how many groups hunted their land before you. Good luck

Hunted on colony land probably 15+ years ago around the huron area, it cost our group of 8 a nice bottle of whiskey for access for the day. Not sure what it would take now but it all depends on the colony and who you talk to?

SMO I have hunted lots of public land in my day, and still do but my time is valuable to me. I only have so much vacation and I love to see birds, lots of birds. The area of the state I am looking to hunt in has limited public land and I am trying to make this a great trip for some guys who don't shoot birds very often. Some of these guys might need 8-10 shots at roosters to get their limit in a day.

I'm not talking bad I'm happy them guys won't be on the public...

I always thought it was a Canadian law, guess not. Our group has land owners that will not even accept a bottle of wine in fear of getting in trouble. We just help around the place to show our thanks in those cases. I have heard of land owners looking for compensation around here but its defiantly not legal and they can be reported.

Alberta sound like my kinda place...

Can't get a Hutterite to lie or cheat with a gun to his head. I have found them to be honorable, honest, straightforward (if you have a problem with straight talk, steer clear). and stubborn. I gave a colony a commercial bread mixer several years ago, when the Grand Poo-Bah asked me what I wanted for it, I said "maybe I could come out for a pheasant hunt, someday"? It was three years before I made it there, he remembered me, let me hunt and sent me home with a bunch of yummy stuff. If you are the kind of person who always has to get the best of others, stay away. If you are a fair-minded person, have a good time. Can't speak to current habitat as I stay away from Central and Eastern SD, too many hunters, too many landowners to deal with, who think they own everything.

Well Said. I would concur as well.

Oh there's defiantly guiding outfits up here, no doubt about that. But between the price of beer and our new governing bodies, I can think of much better places to be, lol.

Back