Huntable Areas?!?!?

I carry a shovel or two, some grit, and a tow strap. If someone comes by and can possibly help ... it is nice to have a tow strap available.

Now that I have aged, I most always ... say nope. Not going down that road today.
I've been stuck a lot of times.Im smarter now.I always have a shovel, tow rope, and tire chains. I also carry winter survival gear.

Watching this thread with a lot of interest. Hunted out of Plankinton in late October last year and am hoping for a January thaw to get in one more hunt nearer the end fo the month. Thinking around Redfield this time.

Looking at forecasts, reading these reports and crossing fingers. It’s a long drive from SW Utah :)

gonna head out last weekend jan 27,28. probably miller to huron area. hwy 14 corridor. see what this winter has done to the hens and get a good feel for what these things can survive in.

When you look at a slough from the road and you think it’s covered with snow, it isn’t. Most of it has only the top covered. When you actually get into it you’ll realize that underneath the snow is a maze of tunnels that the birds are sheltering in. As of now I have faith that they’ll come through what’s on the ground now just fine. I hunted the last 5 days in several parts of the state (Hoven, chamberlain, Plankinton, & lake Andes) and found birds in every area I looked. Find a WPA close to standing corn and the bird numbers are incredible. We hunted from 11-4 daily and let them be after that so they could get into roosting areas before dark.

Anyone have any info in regards to Aberdeen vs Huron on how “huntable” it currently is (or will be in a week).. I’m off in a week and I’m going somewhere.. I’ve hunted Huron enough to know the area pretty well and would rather go there if it’s even remotely doable, but I’ve heard Aberdeen is better off.. I know it’ll be brutal, but I’m young and too stubborn to sit at home when I could be hunting. Really the entire state is an option, I’ve just heard from a few Airbnb hosts that Aberdeen is likely doable, just not sure I trust them.

I believe Aberdeen area will disappoint you. I don't know about Huron, Mitchell to Sioux Falls is deep. The south just got buried. Maybe ice fishing would be a better choice.

I believe Aberdeen area will disappoint you. I don't know about Huron, Mitchell to Sioux Falls is deep. The south just got buried. Maybe ice fishing would be a better choice.
Just low bird numbers? I’m from Wisconsin so a good number of my hunts are 5+ miles without jumping a single bird. If I could kick up 10 birds a day I’d be more than happy. I originally planned to aim for the Mitchell area before that last storm. But any time I talk about a trip that area gets pounded with snow.

We have a lot of snow with ice under that. Any good cover is going to have much snow. Food is hard to find, I am sure we have lost a fair percentage of birds. State trapper told me yesterday that they have found a lot of dead birds.

Haha. Getting around on a lake covered in 2 feet of snow isn't going to be any easier. Unless you have a Sno Bear.
Just don't let Jeremy Renner operate the sno Bear....To soon?!

I saw on the 10 day forecast between Rapid City to Presho to Mitchell that there will be some days in the 40's next week. Hopefully that will help some of the snow melt but I guess on the flip side it could help and freeze again making it even harder for birds to get to food on the ground.

Back