Huntable Areas?!?!?

When you look at a slough from the road and you think it’s covered with snow, it isn’t. Most of it has only the top covered. When you actually get into it you’ll realize that underneath the snow is a maze of tunnels that the birds are sheltering in. As of now I have faith that they’ll come through what’s on the ground now just fine. I hunted the last 5 days in several parts of the state (Hoven, chamberlain, Plankinton, & lake Andes) and found birds in every area I looked. Find a WPA close to standing corn and the bird numbers are incredible. We hunted from 11-4 daily and let them be after that so they could get into roosting areas before dark.
I saw Lake Andes reported 27 inches out of this storm and Plankinton 18. You hunted in the middle of that? You sir are a trooper!

I saw on the 10 day forecast between Rapid City to Presho to Mitchell that there will be some days in the 40's next week. Hopefully that will help some of the snow melt but I guess on the flip side it could help and freeze again making it even harder for birds to get to food on the ground.
Big difference between Rapid and Mitchell…common for the hills to be in the 50’s this time of year…but it appears a warm up of sorts is coming…👍

Big difference between Rapid and Mitchell…common for the hills to be in the 50’s this time of year…but it appears a warm up of sorts is coming…👍
I agree. Rapid is showing in the 40's almost every day and even in the 50's on like day 8-10 while Mitchell is showing 12 deg high today and work towards upper 30's towards end of 10 day forecast. Who knows what will really happen though.

I hunted Plankinton a week ago today. At that time, the snow depth was light from Montrose to Plank. The only snow at Plank was in the cover and fence lines . The bean and corn fields were bare and the birds were healthy and full of feed. Since that time, we got 27 inches. Parkston, 26.5. Mitchell 22. Plank 15. Check the snow totals map and it may provide some insight into where it's not as bad. Cabin at Chamberlain only had a few inches according to the neighbor.

I saw Lake Andes reported 27 inches out of this storm and Plankinton 18. You hunted in the middle of that? You sir are a trooper!
My post was a couple days late. I hunted from 12/29 thru 1/2. Left Monday for home. It was great but didn’t have to deal with latest storms. We started north by Hoven and hunting was incredible at the 2 areas we hunted. The snow cover at that time was spotty. Terrible in some areas and manageable in others, that’s why we only hunted the 2 areas. As we traveled south and east the snow got better and hunting continued strong in areas we found. Amount of birds was incredible but seemed really concentrated. Would love to go back for another try but will probably not due to latest storms.

My post was a couple days late. I hunted from 12/29 thru 1/2. Left Monday for home. It was great but didn’t have to deal with latest storms. We started north by Hoven and hunting was incredible at the 2 areas we hunted. The snow cover at that time was spotty. Terrible in some areas and manageable in others, that’s why we only hunted the 2 areas. As we traveled south and east the snow got better and hunting continued strong in areas we found. Amount of birds was incredible but seemed really concentrated. Would love to go back for another try but will probably not due to latest storms.
Chamberlin

Back