How to Plant Quail

Dakotazeb

What is the best method for planting quail so they stay put longer. I planted 4 quail in a grass field today (very nice cover 6-8" high) and before the dog and I got to the last two they flew away.

I dizzy my quail by holding their body with my hand and with their head between my index and middle finger. I then hold them with their head facing down towards the ground (they would be upside down) and spin them in circles. If you have one that is loud and makes a lot of noise, I spin until they are quiet and then check them. When checking them, stop spinning and if their head is limping over to the side with their beak a little hanging open and their eyes really big, they are ready. I don't place them down, I throw them down as I am walking away and do not stop too look back.

After you dizzy them you can tuck their head under a wing, they will stay put for a while. If your training I would only plant one at a time.

In my experience they don't go far at all.

I quit dizzying many years ago, I find a patch of grass I can bend down and lay over them. If they run, it's usually to get away from direct sunlight and get to a shady spot with overhead cover. If the ground is bare, I would try to find the thicker grass to plant in. I usually plant along a field border, where quail are drawn to. Now, I have a release johnny house, I release birds in the air, wait an hour and go find them, birds are natural appearing to the dog, and have scuffled around to create scent, and are in cover they want to stay in. If you are trying to get the cast right, for single field hunt tests, you may need to dizzy, to use less than favorable field placement, to get a dog to use the entire field, in a crossing pattern, I find my wild quail dogs no where to find the quail topography, and will bee line to that spot first, I need to work on them to cross hatch, say a 160@ field of rank CRP. Since the big rank fields of CRP are dwindling we may have become hedgerow and long draw hunters again!

This is from a relative nooby. Since about the first of April I have purchased 18 pheasants, 15 chukar, 10 Tennessee reds, and 100 Bobwhite. In my opinion, the Bobwhite are best, (and cheapest). Seems as though no matter how hard I try to control the situation, it rarely seemed to work as planned. So now I just toss them out the window as I'm driving thru the field. This has worked best. I make a mental note of aprox where they land. Our recovery rate is pretty good also.I get a good 2-3 flights out of each bird, and typically plant 1-3 birds, depending on how much time I have. Anything over an hour, I'll go 3 birds. Believe it or not, these guys are decent at giving us the slip here and there. I did loose 10-15 one day when all the birds escaped. I managed to herd a bunch back into the pen, then captured some, then used the rest for training until they were gone. Making frequent mistakes, learning a lot, and having a blast.

Does no one put their birds to sleep?? If you want the bird to stay put where you place it then just pull the leg and tuck its head under its wing. After about 7-10 seconds it'll put that bird out. Then place it wherever. Now when you go to flush it you'll have to wake it up, but it'll keep the bird in its place if you are working on just letting your dog find and point birds.

Does no one put their birds to sleep?? If you want the bird to stay put where you place it then just pull the leg and tuck its head under its wing. After about 7-10 seconds it'll put that bird out. Then place it wherever. Now when you go to flush it you'll have to wake it up, but it'll keep the bird in its place if you are working on just letting your dog find and point birds.

That is how I do it also. Works great and birds fly pretty good. I also will free fly them so I don't leave a scent trail to the birds. Dogs figure out how to trail your scent to planted birds pretty quick. Depends on what you are trying to do. For pups I free fly the birds, note where they land, wait 20-30 minutes, work pups in the area and let them figure it out. Some birds land and sit tight, some land and walk around, either way allows pups to figure out different situations.

When planting quail make sure that you don't plant them too deep and I always use a mild fertilizer solution and you might want to wait till after mothers day as to avoid a late frost! Don't forget to mulch!:thumbsup:

I have used all of the methods listed above.
Another one is to get the manual foot traps ( wire mesh sold by LCS is what I have), the birds fly well that way too.

My older dog will cheat and track me to the birds, so I like to just toss them out, and come back in an hours or so.

OKIEGunner's method works well for me.

In the August green grass, it might be better to let them fly off and provide a broader scent cone.

Hate pigeons, hate the traps more. I get why "pros" use them - cost.

Hey George,

You're supposed to be hunting pheasants this time of the year...or have you shot all of them?

I hunted near Mobridge Christmas Eve and managed to shoot two. The birds were in very deep cattails, near grain and out of the wind. The crp was clogged with snow so the birds were not using that type of cover.

First time hunting C. Eve...kind of fun; am sad to see the season end, but was blessed with four great trips to SD this year. Max continues to improve (3) and managed about 6 points this last trip - all hens! Biggest challenge is to restrain him from grabbing the birds out of the snow!

Happy New year to you!

Jon

When planting quail make sure that you don't plant them too deep and I always use a mild fertilizer solution and you might want to wait till after mothers day as to avoid a late frost! Don't forget to mulch!:thumbsup:

Hahahahahaha!!! What kind of head to you put on ther Combine at harvest time?!

:cheers:

Back