How often do you train/run your dogs?

How Often do you train/run your dogs?

• 1-2 times a week

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 3-4 times a week

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • 5-7 times a week

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Never, the dogs don't need it in their kennels.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

V-John

How often do you train or run your dogs? At this point in the game, I have a young bitch that I'm trying to get broken out and I'm training a bit more with her. I also have another dog that I need to get on birds too. (pigeons at this point)
So, I'm looking at 2-3 times a week maybe of actual birdwork.
I run them, though, every day.
I feel terrible if I don't run them every day. By running, I mean, turn them loose on 200 acres (and the additional 1000 acres if there aren't cattle on it) and let them run, swim and have fun.
Burn off energy, and let them use their minds as well.
I can work on handling if necessary, and do so sometimes.
I HATE leash walking my dogs, really, so I try to do this every day. Living with five or six or however many dogs in the house, this exercise is necessary, and they are healthier for it.
So how often do you get your dogs out for exercise or training?

I am lucky enough to live where I can let the dogs out often. The field across the street is perfect, 1/4 section of grass with a gnarly 2-3 acre patch in it. It is great for working a lab. Lots of bumper work 1-2 times a week. We try to walk 3-4 times a week so I can stay in shape too. Once a week we go to the lake and do some water work. I also have planted an acre of grass at my house so we can go out for a " Quickie" in the evening.

We too have a lot of access to land real close. Working on multiple marks and blind retrieves, also belong to a club. We're at it almost every day of the week and it's quite often the highlight of my day! We're going after a Senior title this summer.

Every day in some form or fashion. A shotgun is to be put up at end of season only to be gotten out again next season, a dog is not. It's not always " bird dog" training but it something that stimulates their mind and gets some energy off too. With a healthy mind you develop a healthy body.

I put my dogs on birds 2-3 times per weeks, when I have birds. I run the dogs 4-5 days per week. I don't even know if I could find a leash, usually just go to a field or in the yard.

Trick question! Haha. I don't run my dog at all right now because she is on the trial circuit with a Pro. However he runs her about 5 times per week. 2 or 3 times training on birds and then she's roaded 2 or 3 times per week. Overall, she is on birds 9 months of the year hunting, training, or trialing. When I have her home during the fall/winter I road her 2-3 times per week and hunt her every other week if not more.

Well it kind of depends on what you consider training. I work on something every day, but not necessarily in the field.

I am only getting them out to run hard 2 times a week which is not really enough.
But I voted 1-2

Hank gets plenty of exercise in every day playing with my other dog & we are constantly either training or re-enforcing some aspect of trained behavior daily.

I run them almost every day otherwise they are hell to live with.

Work on birds is almost exclusively a thing done on real hunts occasionally on planted birds.

I like to get my dog out for some sort of exercise twice a day. I live in the suburbs so sometimes walking is my only option. However my favorite activity is trail running with my dog. It's easy on her pads and great conditioning for the both of us. I try to structure my trail runs so that over time we gradually increase in distance until we are up to an hour and a half. I also try and book end our days of longer runs with days of light activity such as walking. Into all of these activities, I like to incoroporate general yard and obedience work, whoaing, retrieving, hunting dead etc.

boy i feel really guilty here in the hot weather i hate running them i feel it is so hard on them in the heat hardly none, but come sept through hunting season every other day i voted 1 to 2 more like once a week but very light grass nothing heavy!!

Last edited:
I finally got the dogs out for a run this morning. At 7am it was 72F already,
I have only been getting them out once a week. But it is too hot to run them in the evening.

The dog found 2 roosters today and I heard some quall in the distance.

I work my dogs every other day.don't have to worry about finding any wild birds where I train:(. try to take all the dogs on a 1/2 hr run most nights

My dogs get worked at least 5 days a week. It may only be for 10-15 minutes training some days but they get at least some kind of formal training about 5 days a week, and they get ran at least 4 days a week.

Back